Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laurel Special Edition OM-03  (Read 403 times)
Skip Ellis

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »

These have been out awhile - does anyone have any reports on this model? Good, bad, or indifferent? Not much on YT about it. I'm still leaning towards the OM-40r but still looking. Not sure why I don't bond with my L-05 but it just doesn't grab me for some reason. Maybe I'm just weird.........
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:54:24 AM »

If you're used to a Dread, you'll probably like the L body better. But if you're coming from smaller bodies the OM will fit better (IMO only). Could it also be you're just drawn to the EIR? There IS a slight difference in sound and I lean toward the Mahogany but also have a Rosewood to round out the cast.

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:25 PM »

I like the Indian Laurel very much.  It is a very nice sounding tonewood, kind of in the middle between mahogany and rosewood.  Mine is a D-40 with a Moonwood top and enlarged soundhole with the Indian Laurel back/sides.  The larger soundhole gives it a lot of cast...  I play it a lot...

George
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »

If you're not wild about your L05, I'd go for the 40 series you were thinking about instead of this one.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Skip Ellis

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 04:26:03 PM »

BOWIE: Yeah, I think I'd rather have the new bracing system - little more bottom end.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:34:07 PM »

I played an OM-03 laurel last July.
Back then, I posted "The sound was "tighter" than an L-body, but it was very satisfying".
I also qualified my comment, cuz I like the L-body (and D-models as well, tho I only own L-bodies), and had not yet played an OM or smaller that I liked. But some folks simply prefer the smaller guitars for the comfort.
The guy who played the OM just before me did buy it. He liked it a lot, and he was a Martin D-model guy.
I wish you well in your search.
Mike
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 11:00:01 PM »

If you're not wild about your L05, I'd go for the 40 series you were thinking about instead of this one.

BOWIE: Yeah, I think I'd rather have the new bracing system - little more bottom end.

Interesting - I just got a set-up done on my C-10 Italian Spruce over Silver Oak, and I was playing it in the acoustic room of the shop where I picked it up. One of the sales guys walked in and commented on how incredible the bass and lower midrange sounded on it - and I'd agree - it isn't lacking in that dept. at all.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 05:31:31 PM »

Interesting - I just got a set-up done on my C-10 Italian Spruce over Silver Oak, and I was playing it in the acoustic room of the shop where I picked it up. One of the sales guys walked in and commented on how incredible the bass and lower midrange sounded on it - and I'd agree - it isn't lacking in that dept. at all.

The Larrivee signature sound is very well-balanced and the L's and OM's have a certain tone that doesn't change a whole lot.  That's a good thing.  I love the Larrivee sound.  But, if someone isn't in love with their L, going to an OM03 (which will have less low end) isn't likely to please them.  That's why I recommended the 40-series in his case. 

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: