Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laurel Special Edition OM-03  (Read 592 times)
Skip Ellis

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »

These have been out awhile - does anyone have any reports on this model? Good, bad, or indifferent? Not much on YT about it. I'm still leaning towards the OM-40r but still looking. Not sure why I don't bond with my L-05 but it just doesn't grab me for some reason. Maybe I'm just weird.........
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:54:24 AM »

If you're used to a Dread, you'll probably like the L body better. But if you're coming from smaller bodies the OM will fit better (IMO only). Could it also be you're just drawn to the EIR? There IS a slight difference in sound and I lean toward the Mahogany but also have a Rosewood to round out the cast.

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:25 PM »

I like the Indian Laurel very much.  It is a very nice sounding tonewood, kind of in the middle between mahogany and rosewood.  Mine is a D-40 with a Moonwood top and enlarged soundhole with the Indian Laurel back/sides.  The larger soundhole gives it a lot of cast...  I play it a lot...

George
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »

If you're not wild about your L05, I'd go for the 40 series you were thinking about instead of this one.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Skip Ellis

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 04:26:03 PM »

BOWIE: Yeah, I think I'd rather have the new bracing system - little more bottom end.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:34:07 PM »

I played an OM-03 laurel last July.
Back then, I posted "The sound was "tighter" than an L-body, but it was very satisfying".
I also qualified my comment, cuz I like the L-body (and D-models as well, tho I only own L-bodies), and had not yet played an OM or smaller that I liked. But some folks simply prefer the smaller guitars for the comfort.
The guy who played the OM just before me did buy it. He liked it a lot, and he was a Martin D-model guy.
I wish you well in your search.
Mike
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 11:00:01 PM »

If you're not wild about your L05, I'd go for the 40 series you were thinking about instead of this one.

BOWIE: Yeah, I think I'd rather have the new bracing system - little more bottom end.

Interesting - I just got a set-up done on my C-10 Italian Spruce over Silver Oak, and I was playing it in the acoustic room of the shop where I picked it up. One of the sales guys walked in and commented on how incredible the bass and lower midrange sounded on it - and I'd agree - it isn't lacking in that dept. at all.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 05:31:31 PM »

Interesting - I just got a set-up done on my C-10 Italian Spruce over Silver Oak, and I was playing it in the acoustic room of the shop where I picked it up. One of the sales guys walked in and commented on how incredible the bass and lower midrange sounded on it - and I'd agree - it isn't lacking in that dept. at all.

The Larrivee signature sound is very well-balanced and the L's and OM's have a certain tone that doesn't change a whole lot.  That's a good thing.  I love the Larrivee sound.  But, if someone isn't in love with their L, going to an OM03 (which will have less low end) isn't likely to please them.  That's why I recommended the 40-series in his case. 

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
lmcmonies

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 04:19:14 PM »

Hey guys, I've just joined the forum after owning my Larrivee for one year. I bought the OM-03 LA from Merchant City Music in Glasgow. I was extremely lucky at the time to get it XXXXXX. I'll be honest, when I first bought it I wasn't blown away by the sound but aesthetically it was beautiful. However, after one year of playing it has really opened up and sounds amazing. Switching to Elixir Nanoweb strings from Martin definitely improved the tone massively as well. It really is a beautifully made guitar, and the leaf inlay on the headstock really finishes it off nicely. Its definitely a guitar for life if it's looked after well.
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 04:37:35 PM »

I wasn't blown away by the sound but aesthetically it was beautiful. However, after one year of playing it has really opened up and sounds amazing. Switching to Elixir Nanoweb strings from Martin definitely improved the tone massively as well. It really is a beautifully made guitar, and the leaf inlay on the headstock really finishes it off nicely. Its definitely a guitar for life if it's looked after well.

That guitars open up over time is something I never really appreciated much, but some guitars do so drastically it makes buying a guitar new a leap of faith. All new guitars I try out now at a music store sound so tight to me, that it's rare for me to like any of them I play.

I recall suddenly noticing my first Taylor GC would resonate for days when I hit some notes and thinking "hmm, when did that start happening?" Now, happily, my O5 is officially opened up and it's tone is very rich and satisfying. Am also a big fan of Elixar nanowebs on my spruce topped guitars. From time to time I try some other brands and eventually switch back, the Elixars just fit my ear.

Congrats, you sound like a happy Larrivee owner!

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: