Any members in Texas...

Started by eded, August 27, 2017, 04:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here's hoping you are safe and damage is minimal (on non-existent).

Ed

Thanks Ed.  I live in northeast Texas and we have been spared the high winds, heavy rain and flooding here.  South of here just a little ways is a totally different story...  Already wet ground has caused a lot of flash flooding and flooding conditions in southern regions of Texas, but from what we hear from relatives and friends  in Central Texas and along the coast, damage from wind was relatively minor for such a large storm of such intensity.
George

Quote from: George on August 27, 2017, 05:06:23 PM
Thanks Ed.  I live in northeast Texas and we have been spared the high winds, heavy rain and flooding here.  South of here just a little ways is a totally different story...  Already wet ground has caused a lot of flash flooding and flooding conditions in southern regions of Texas, but from what we hear from relatives and friends  in Central Texas and along the coast, damage from wind was relatively minor for such a large storm of such intensity.

From what I get out of the predictions, it's expected to (eventually) head north and possibly northeast(of where it is now).  If you are anywhere in the path, stay safe. 

Ed

Quote from: eded on August 27, 2017, 07:05:08 PM
From what I get out of the predictions, it's expected to (eventually) head north and possibly northeast(of where it is now).  If you are anywhere in the path, stay safe. 

Ed

The radar images would indicate it has begun that track already...  I have not yet transposed the windspeed in knots to mph, but we should be getting TS wind < 34 knots here by tomorrow afternoon.  Being born and raised on the Gulf Coast I have experienced many Hurricanes and large storms during my 68 years.

In 2008 Hurricane Ike made its way on a similar path to Harvey and we noted 60 mph winds at 2 am some 200 miles inland from where it made landfall in the Galveston area.  Just moved the tree tops around a bit...

I was a boy in 1961 when Hurricane Carla devastated the Texas Coast with Category 4 strength.  I remember the sand dunes being 20 feet high for miles on the beach road...  We lived pretty close to the beach back then.

The worst one I personally experienced was Category 5 Hurricane Camille in August of 1969.  I was in the Air Force attending tech school in Gulfport, MS and was only 2 miles from the beach when her 200+ mph winds came busting through.  Lots of tornadoes with that one too.  There were vehicles over 100 yards out in the surf and, conversely, sea faring vessels in peoples front yards.  We spent two months clearing debris across southern Mississippi after that one.
George

Danny lives in Austin, and I think they got outer edge of the storm.

This is unbelievable and virtually biblical in its dimension. Almost unimaginable. Houston may be practically uninhabitable for a long time to come. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 28, 2017, 02:02:31 PM
This is unbelievable and virtually biblical in its dimension. Almost unimaginable. Houston may be practically uninhabitable for a long time to come. 

Yes sir, Houston is flooded bad and it is still raining there.  My two eldest daughters and my two granddaughters are stuck in their homes there, but at least they are safe.
George

Once again the weather has lifted is ugly side and once again I want to post this.After the storm if anyone knows any musicians that had there gear damaged by the storm I offer my service's at no charge to them except return shipping as I can't afford to eat it.I have talked my wife into buying another dehumidifier and I'm setting up a place in my shop to help rescue guitars both acoustic and electric for that any string instrument that can be rescued.If I need to replace parts I may need to ask for help purchasing stuff at cost{mostly because I don't have the dime}.So spread the word any help I can be I'm here.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I'm in Texas, but doing fine. Rob I'll be happy to help out. Least we can do for those under the thumb of this kind of unexpected crisis in their life.

We need people to pass the word for us.I don't twit or Face me not book but others do so please lets get the word out.

Danny for a drying room I have set up a dehumidifier in a 6x6 plastic walled room set the dehumidifier at 45% the room I got I can do 8 guitars at a time you do need to get a moisture meter so you can check the guitars about every 12 hours.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: George on August 28, 2017, 03:01:46 PM
Yes sir, Houston is flooded bad and it is still raining there.  My two eldest daughters and my two granddaughters are stuck in their homes there, but at least they are safe.

Do I understand right, that more rain is coming and the flood worsening?  Good grief
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

They say it will keep raining thru Thursday.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 28, 2017, 02:02:31 PM

Ma Nature is profoundly more powerful than anything we have created.  It's so tragic when all those planets line up and something like this happens.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

:donut :donut2 :coffee
We are just SW of San Antonio and we got maybe an inch of rain, but we had high winds from Friday night till Sunday afternoon and one of our live oaks split in two, but not near the house.

Never lost power, and we have supplies. We just stayed home. The wind was from the north and we had some relief on the breezeway, so we were not stuck indoors. I think the center got maybe 90 miles from here then turned back, not so bad. The difference between "almost no rain" and "6 to 8 inches" was about 30 miles. We were pretty much on the west side of it. Lytle was a good place to be. North, south, and east of here... not so much.

Watched Zeus (one of our dogs) get knocked over by a wind gust on Saturday, he jumped back up looking around like "how did that happen?", ha ha.
It was great to feel the sunshine yesterday.

Larrivee content... There was no danger of running low on Larrivees to play.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Well Finally the storm has started its trek toward the north and east and it has stopped raining in Houston.  After dumping over 50 inches of rain, Harvey has set a new record for rainfall.  It looks like it will pass near to where we are on its west side and we may get some more rain today, but then it should be over for Texas, we hope...

I know our friends and family on the Texas Coast will be glad when the flood waters recede which should not take too long now that it has stopped raining...
George