Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee better than ever  (Read 1353 times)
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 12:46:25 AM »

its a fluke. pretty straight forward guitar making

I think you're right. I looked closely at the saddle and bridge and realized I might be wrong. Well, sorry if I led anyone wrong.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
mattwood

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 01:01:06 PM »

I don't know if Larrivee is better than ever because I have only had two of their guitars, but in both cases they were absolutely flawless, one of them being a 2008  model.  In fact, I often find myself marveling at their workmanship instead of playing them.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »

My '92 and the old '79 I just got are flawless in the build department. I have a 2013 C-10 which has some glue globs visible in the side kerfing around the inside, and glue blotches (where it looks like it wasn't fully cleaned off) on the inside back of the body which is clearly visible.

I'm also not that impressed with the neck angle on this guitar - it either needs the saddle cut very low or will need a neck reset to get the action where it should be (I'm not talking about super low action - just acceptable "within specs" action). I just had it set up by a good tech, but the action is still higher than it should be; I don't think he wanted to take the saddle any lower. I've seen this same build issue on a couple other recent Larrivees I've picked up in shops.  There's an obvious sharp break of the fingerboard on the top of the body which can't be adjusted with the truss rod or saddle height changes.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »

I don't know if Larrivee is better than ever because I have only had two of their guitars, but in both cases they were absolutely flawless, one of them being a 2008  model.  In fact, I often find myself marveling at their workmanship instead of playing them.
My mind just had a major shift reading that.
My own experience when walking into the "music room" is the sudden exposure to multiple Larrivees can cause loss of orientation and short term removal from reality.
Could you please post a video of yourself "marveling at their workmanship" so we can see?
Mostly I want to see the look on your face, the wonder in your eyes, and if you make unusual utterances while marveling.
Mike
markj

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 03:56:14 PM »

My own experience when walking into the "music room" is the sudden exposure to multiple Larrivees can cause loss of orientation and short term removal from reality.
Could you please post a video of yourself "marveling at their workmanship" so we can see?
Mostly I want to see the look on your face, the wonder in your eyes, and if you make unusual utterances while marveling.
Mike

You might not want to look too long at my 50th Anniversary. You might go into a coma. 
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 03:59:36 PM »

You might not want to look too long at my 50th Anniversary. You might go into a coma. 
But if I began playing your 50th right away, at least the glare would be out of my eyes.
That is my cure. 
Mike
markj

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »

If you're ever in the IL/WI state-line area, you are always welcome to visit and play it.   
mattwood

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 05:18:26 PM »

Mike

I'm afraid my face would detract from the beauty of the guitar immensely! yak
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: