Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moonwood?  (Read 617 times)
Skip Ellis

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:57:37 AM »

Moonwood/Austrian spruce/Italian spruce/European spruce....whatever it's called- love it or hate it? I'm thinking an OM-40r with the [...insert fancy spruce name here...] would be just the ticket for a great fingerstyle guitar but not sure if it's going to be THAT much better than my L-05. Thoughts? Opinions? Let's hear 'em.
Dustinfurlow

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 02:53:44 AM »

Hey Skip,

In my experience as a 75% fingerstyle player I think european Spruce has much sweeter, and somewhat longer-sustaining trebles up the neck than most Sitka or adirondack.

I recorded two fingerstyle tracks on my previous album project with an l-09 standard (Sitka/eir) and just before finalizing the tracks I had purchased an l-11 with Italian Alpine and Indian rosewood and upon playing the same two tunes side by side with my l-09 I realized there was a HUGE difference in the overtones. Sitka has quick, sometimes snappy trebles up the neck but that l-11 had "bell-like" singing trebles that have convinced me since then to always opt for European as, again, I'm
mostly a fingerstyle guy.

I went back and spent the money to redo the tracks, that's how much i preferred it. It's just my experience but you oughta opt for it just to see what I mean ;)

Dustin Furlow

Larrivee L-09 (Italian/Madagascar)
Beneteau M Cutaway (Carpathian/Ebony)
Lowden F-32c (Sitka/East indian)

Fingerstyle and original tunes on my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCw7w0i3AF8xTuN6iYB-gCkw
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 02:52:47 PM »

I agree with Dustin, a trained ear can easily discern the difference...

George
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »

I recommend searching as there are a lot of threads on the subject.
Expect more harmonic overtones, which will be desirable for many. If you like a dry tonal response or a blusey sound, sitka may be more your thing as it has a strong fundamental note.

Some will say "spruce is spruce" but the top wood has so much more influence than the back, that even subtle changes can make a very noticeable difference in tone and response.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »

And, it is snowey white.  Jean told me last time he was in Europe, he went thru 9,000 sets, and picked out just over 300 to buy.
I asked him who gets the leftovers..... he just smiled.
JSpe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 05:30:01 PM »

2-cents worth!!!:  :smile:With Jean's guitars I'd guess the moonwood would be fantastic. My "back in the 1900's" brain tells me though, that some of these lighter spruces sound incredible but can lend an overdriven effect if you chord really punchy or hard.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »

2-cents worth!!!:  :smile:With Jean's guitars I'd guess the moonwood would be fantastic. My "back in the 1900's" brain tells me though, that some of these lighter spruces sound incredible but can lend an overdriven effect if you chord really punchy or hard.

That has not been my experience with them, they sound great no matter how softly or how hard you dig in and I do not fingerpick at all...

It has been my understanding that the moonwood bracing has been hand tuned on the 50th anniversary models, that in itself is a huge plus for tonal quality...

George
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »

that some of these lighter spruces sound incredible but can lend an overdriven effect if you chord really punchy or hard.
That's been my experience.  Though I'm not a heavy picker, my euro topped L did compress heavily.  I really wish Larrivee offered a red/Adirondack series as I just love that wood.  I'm inclined to think it would work so well with the Larrivee signature tone but for whatever reason, they've decided not to, save for a few instances.

D-02-12
markj

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »

That has not been my experience with them, they sound great no matter how softly or how hard you dig in and I do not fingerpick at all...

It has been my understanding that the moonwood bracing has been hand tuned on the 50th anniversary models, that in itself is a huge plus for tonal quality...

My 50th Anniversary model is exactly as you describe. Able to handle anything I throw at it, from the lightest Pianissimo, to the loudest Fortissimo and everything in between. It never loses anything. It is the single most sweetest sounding guitar I have ever heard or played. Everyone who had heard or played it, says the same.

I want for nothing in a steel six string except maybe a 12 fret and eve then, I am to sure. I want to get another LV -R model with moonwood top so I can stop wearing the 50th out so fast. lol
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 05:14:08 PM »

And then there is good old Engelmann and or white spruce, grown in the alpine regions of western North America.  It seems to me it is just on the verge of discovery as a wood for guitars and other instruments.  John McQuarrie of Northwoods guitars uses it for most of his bracing and many of his tops.  Me thinks it measures up very favorably to all other alpine spruces.
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 08:08:21 PM »

And then there is good old Engelmann and or white spruce, grown in the alpine regions of western North America.  It seems to me it is just on the verge of discovery as a wood for guitars and other instruments.  John McQuarrie of Northwoods guitars uses it for most of his bracing and many of his tops.  Me thinks it measures up very favorably to all other alpine spruces.
Dave

+1

George
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 02:47:20 AM »

And then there is good old Engelmann and or white spruce, grown in the alpine regions of western North America.  It seems to me it is just on the verge of discovery as a wood for guitars and other instruments. 

Larrivee used quite a bit of Engelmann in 1998.  Jean prefers Sitka though.  I prefer my Engelmann/EIR  OM-03R.   

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 06:37:20 AM »

Does anyone know what specie(s) of spruce Yamaha, Yari, and other Japanese makers used or still use in their high-end guitars?  Do they import spruce or use local species?

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 04:21:00 PM »

Larrivee used quite a bit of Engelmann in 1998.  Jean prefers Sitka though.  I prefer my Engelmann/EIR  OM-03R.   
I've always been interested in those. Did they label them anything that specifies Engleman?

D-02-12
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »

Does anyone know what specie(s) of spruce Yamaha, Yari, and other Japanese makers used or still use in their high-end guitars?  Do they import spruce or use local species?

I have seen this Oriental/Caucasian spruce referred to in some Asian advertising...  never seen/played any of it to my knowledge.

"Picea orientalis, commonly known as the Oriental spruce or Caucasian spruce, is a species of spruce native to the Caucasus and adjacent northeast Turkey"

George
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 09:38:46 PM »

I've always been interested in those. Did they label them anything that specifies Engleman?

Nope.  The labels were not terribly accurate back then anyway.  In late 98 they took the model numbers off the labels entirely.

For example: The label on mine actually reads  Model OM-03, but it has factory electronics and is East Indian Rosewood, so is actually an OM-03RE

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 10:55:40 PM »

Nope.  The labels were not terribly accurate back then anyway.  In late 98 they took the model numbers off the labels entirely.

For example: The label on mine actually reads  Model OM-03, but it has factory electronics and is East Indian Rosewood, so is actually an OM-03RE

Thanks.  I know what you mean about the labeling.  I had the same thing with an 03.  I guess the best we can do is to try going by the color and the grain.

D-02-12
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 11:29:53 PM »

Technically the label isn't incorrect. As it is an OM-03 arguably incomplete. I've seen much bigger label blunders than that!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: