Incoming Custom JCL L-09

Started by Dustinfurlow, August 22, 2017, 02:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decided to contact John Jr. for a new custom L-09 last night...
I've been gigging since February with my Italian/Madagascar l-09 but really missed my old l-11 and l-09 Engelmann//walnut I'd used in the past for studio stuff and smaller shows. Typically, the rosewood on my current l-09 doesn't like internal microphones...or I should say the mics don't like the thud and overtones of the rosewood. Can be challenging to EQ. Thinking of how clean and fundamental sounding my old walnut l-09 sounded live, and how visually attractive my l-11 was...i decided to set something up.

Here's the rundown, confirmed this morning :) excited would be a REAL understatement. Miss the smell and smooth, dark tone of the walnut.

-Italian Alpine Spruce top
-Dark, figured european walnut back and sides
-Mosaic rosette
-Flamed maple binding
-flamed maple fingerboard binding/heel cap
-satin, slim C neck (a must)
-no fingerboard dots, just the 12th fret 'DF' inlay, still would like side dots
-JCL headstock logo
-Walnut headstock veneer
-Standard arch headstock shape with silver borders
-70s style backstrip
-Standard multi strip purfling
-Standard ebony fingerboard
-Standard Bridge
-clear pickguard

Would love to hear your thoughts! I'll be posting build-progress pics as he sends them :)
CS-09 (Mastergrade Sitka/Ziricote)

My album "Woodscapes" and others available at www.dustinfurlow/shop

Fingerstyle and original tunes on my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCw7w0i3AF8xTuN6iYB-gCkw

Can't wait to see it! How long do I have to sit on the edge of my seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can feel your excitement. The specs look wonderful!  :nice guitar:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Great custom build spec's Dustin!  Cannot wait to hear it recorded, it may take a while for it to sound as good as your old ones did...
George

Are you getting the two-toned Austrian walnut?  It is stunning.

Sounds like real beauty!

Can't wait to see and hear it!
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Cant wait to see and hear it dustin!
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

Quote from: Walkerman on August 22, 2017, 05:39:41 PM
Are you getting the two-toned Austrian walnut?  It is stunning.

Yes! But I asked for it to be on the darker side if possible and look less blonde. I definitely trust em. When I asked for a nice matched set of Madagascan that wasn't too dramatically figured (sometimes makes cracks a little more likely to happen) they definitely didn't disappoint :) anyone on here have experience with the Austrian walnut? I've heard it's a little warmer than black and Peruvian. Sort of how Claro tends to sound. Dermot McIlroy was telling me the more figured a walnut the more potential bass content because it's not perfect quarter sawn and more flexible. Would love to hear experiences with its tone if anyone reading this has gotten their hands on one?

Quote from: Dustinfurlow on August 22, 2017, 07:13:05 PM
Yes! But I asked for it to be on the darker side if possible and look less blonde. I definitely trust em. When I asked for a nice matched set of Madagascan that wasn't too dramatically figured (sometimes makes cracks a little more likely to happen) they definitely didn't disappoint :) anyone on here have experience with the Austrian walnut? I've heard it's a little warmer than black and Peruvian. Sort of how Claro tends to sound. Dermot McIlroy was telling me the more figured a walnut the more potential bass content because it's not perfect quarter sawn and more flexible. Would love to hear experiences with its tone if anyone reading this has gotten their hands on one?

This is not so much what I would called figured as compared to what I would call flamed.

Figured, flamed, both are cut in the same manner from what I understood. Could be wrong

Quote from: Dustinfurlow on August 23, 2017, 09:56:03 AM
Figured, flamed, both are cut in the same manner from what I understood. Could be wrong

The walnut is quartersawn.

Thanks for the info