best advice you ever got

Started by DaveyO, August 21, 2017, 02:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok,no secret of life,but lets look at it from another angle
Music advice or life advice
Dave

A couple of things
1:find someone to play with better or not then you so you can push each other

2:Never play someone else licks,this may have been bad advice but coming from a pro I listened.

3: Go for it,the worst that could happen is you mess up but maybe you'll learn something at the same time.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

The best advice about guitars I ever got was from a luthier friend of mine in Houston way back in 2000.  I was telling him I was going to buy a Martin guitar and he calmly suggested that I try out a Larrivee first because he believed they were better guitars, but might be more money.  So I tried out a really nice one at GC (can't remember the model) where I had been Martin shopping, and I was impressed by the sound, but the high end Larrivee was way more money so I bought the Martin anyway.  Nine years later I was in a music store in East Texas where the salesman told me that a Larrivee was the best sounding guitar in the entire store, and he was absolutely right!  I took that D-03R special edition home with me and have been buying Larrivee's ever since...  and I still have that first one, but I have not had to play another Larrivee in a store first before I bought it ever again...
George

Don't ask about Taylors in a Larrivee group.
Take it to AGF, like "how many Taylor owners also own Larrivees" or some such worthless question.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Sorry Mike
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers
I still like Larrivee better,ok?
Peace
Dave

The -CENSORED- you're kickin today could be the -CENSORED- your kissin tomorrow.   :beer
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on August 22, 2017, 06:32:45 AM
The -CENSORED- you're kickin today could be the -CENSORED- your kissin tomorrow.   :beer
Oh, that reminds me of a song, Andrew...
On Your Way Down

If at first you don't succeed,
try, try, again.
Then quit.
There's no sense
being a damn fool about it.

W.C. Fields

:bgrin:

Quote from: tlp2 on August 22, 2017, 10:46:08 AM
If at first you don't succeed,
try, try, again.
Then quit.
There's no sense
being a damn fool about it.

W.C. Fields

:bgrin:

Then I qualify as the fool. Or perhaps I don't recognize success
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on August 22, 2017, 11:38:32 AM
Then I qualify as the fool. Or perhaps I don't recognize success

I believe that in the event of "try again", you're supposed to do it a bit differently. One definition of insanity is doing exactly the same thing over and over expecting different results.  :cheers

Life advice:    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.   Then when you do, you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.

Guitar advice:   Play the snot out of it.

Quote from: DaveyO on August 21, 2017, 11:27:43 PM
Sorry Mike
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers
I still like Larrivee better,ok?
Peace
Dave
Dave,
Sorry, I get crazy sometimes. I apologize. Motor on.
You are cool.
Mike

And in the context of this Larrivee group, what are we supposed to learn from this?  :cheers
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on August 22, 2017, 08:30:41 PM
And in the context of this Larrivee group, what are we supposed to learn from this?  :cheers
Mike

Always wear clean underwear?  :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 22, 2017, 11:49:43 AM
I believe that in the event of "try again", you're supposed to do it a bit differently. One definition of insanity is doing exactly the same thing over and over expecting different results.  :cheers

Oh great! Now I'm an insane fool. It doesn't hurt though, and I am happy.  :donut2
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: mike in lytle on August 22, 2017, 08:30:41 PM
Mike

Well, here's what I learned yesterday - never say never. I actually played a (left-handed) Taylor that I liked...  :? 

I was in a shop in Sioux Falls, SD, and they had not one (low end) lefty, but FOUR left-handed instruments, ranging in price from $229 to the Taylor (on sale) at $1,350.  It was a dread cutaway (I don't care for those either), but it played very nicely, was well made (a 310ce), and had a balanced tone with a solid (but not Martin-esque) bass.  I was actually tryig to scheme ways to buy it, even though I don't need another acoustic! Certainly not another dreadnaught!

So ... never say never.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: mike in lytle on August 22, 2017, 07:50:49 PM
Dave,
Sorry, I get crazy sometimes. I apologize. Motor on.
You are cool.
Mike
[/quote

No problem amigo and yes,I am cool 😎
Dave

As long as you are doing what you want, it's fine.  When you feel like you need to, it's time to quit.

Best.Advice.Ever.

Ed

Quote from: broKen on August 22, 2017, 11:03:58 PM
Oh great! Now I'm an insane fool. It doesn't hurt though, and I am happy.  :donut2

:tongue: