any Taylor owners here?

Started by DaveyO, August 21, 2017, 12:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whatcha got?8
Even though I dig larrivee
Taylor makes a nice guitar also
Dave

The only Taylor I have remaining is a T-5 Classic.  Not exactly a true acoustic guitar, but it does play and sound good plugged in...

I am still kicking myself in the rear for letting a 1999 Taylor K-22 get away.  It had a set neck and played and sounded like butter, in a guitar figure of speech sort of way...
George

Yes, I have two Taylors a GS mini which is just for travel and a wonderful 12 string Koa: K62ce 12 string 12 fret LTD. Only 50 made. Silky tones, warm basses, crisp highs and louder than you would expect from a smaller body.
Larrivee D10 2003
Larrivee OM10 RX Moonspruce 2017
Gibson J45 Vintage Sunburst 2015
Martin HD28V 2014
Taylor K62ce 12-fret 12 string LTD 2016
Taylor GS Mini-e Rosewood 2014
Ovation Custom Elite 2002
https://thisbrokenwall.bandcamp.com/album/come-again

Quote from: George on August 21, 2017, 01:18:05 PM
The only Taylor I have remaining is a T-5 Classic.  Not exactly a true acoustic guitar, but it does play and sound good plugged in...
I too have one of these
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I have a couple of GS Mini's one a Holden Village and the other a stock spruce / hog.  I also have a 1985 550 12 string and a 89 K22 Spruce/ Koa.  Oh yes a Koa T5 12 string as well.  All fine instruments.
Steve ....aka the SMan

414ce

I had to recently replace the nut. Now that I have it is actually enjoyable to play and sounds pretty decent plugged in
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

:donut :donut2 :coffee
I don't own any Taylors and never will and this is a Larrivee owners group.
Sorry to be so weird about it.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on August 21, 2017, 06:39:34 PM
Mike

Besides, everyone knows they're Chick Guitars.   :whistling: :wink:

Quote from: mike in lytle on August 21, 2017, 06:39:34 PM
Mike
Yes that is a very weird response given the topic is posted under "Other Guitar Makers".
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 21, 2017, 07:00:53 PM
Besides, everyone knows they're Chick Guitars.   :whistling: :wink:

Still waiting for a single thread on Taylor here or in any other forum (besides the Taylor forum of course) without a single snide remark, smileys or not.  :rolleye:
Larrivee D10 2003
Larrivee OM10 RX Moonspruce 2017
Gibson J45 Vintage Sunburst 2015
Martin HD28V 2014
Taylor K62ce 12-fret 12 string LTD 2016
Taylor GS Mini-e Rosewood 2014
Ovation Custom Elite 2002
https://thisbrokenwall.bandcamp.com/album/come-again

Not any more.  Though my main guitar for years was a Taylor 422 (old numbering) maple sides and back and spruce top Grand Concert.  That was a great guitar.  Getting used to the scale of my parlor killed longer scale guitars (for the most part) for me.

Over the years I also owned two 510's, a 555, a Baby, and maybe another (or maybe not, I forget).  I thought all of them were great sounding well made guitars.

Ed

Quote from: songman2 on August 23, 2017, 01:01:53 PM
Still waiting for a single thread on Taylor here or in any other forum (besides the Taylor forum of course) without a single snide remark, smileys or not.  :rolleye:

It's the world we live in.  Us OR them.

See my response above...  nothing snide.

Ed

I think that's due to their enviable marketing and promotion aspect of their business. Luv em or hate em they sure know how to promote their product
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I recently picked up a near mint 320 solid  Hog top , solid sapele back and side off C.L. for $750.00  nice guitar different from my OM-03-M Larrivee but if i had to give up one I'd sell the Taylor. I would not part with my Larrivee
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Art & Luthirie legacy 12 bourbon burst cw qit
Guild D140ce SB
Orangewood Sage Mahogany AE

You may have a long wait.   :smile:

Almost forgot the prerequisite snide remark:  Mine has a Fishman pickup instead of the horrible Taylor ES.  ;-)

I've never owned a Taylor.   But a Taylor guitar was in a way responsible for my discovering Larrivee guitars.   I had made arrangements to purchase a beautiful left handed 600 series maple back and sides Taylor in full sunburst.   I was going through a large left-handed guitar specialty shop in Texas...  maybe you could guess who it was.   I was dealing over the phone with the owner who was about to tell me how to send my money when he suddenly said "uh... too late...  a guy just walked in and offered me more money"  And that was that.  That same day I ran across an ad for Larrivee guitars in an acoustic guitar magazine.  I was intrigued.  checked out the forum and saw the type of folks who cherish these guitars and I decided I'd throw my lot in with them.  I ordered an OM-03R soon after.   Then I bought an L-10 from a forum member after a lucky weekend in Vegas.  Then a 000-50MT..   and a Forum IIII LS-03,  then a D-40R followed by a L-05TSB and finally a P-05.   A few years ago I found a lefty Taylor hanging on the wall of a guitar store and tried it out.   I left the store thanking my good fortune that the one in Texas got sold out from under me.  I may never have discovered these great Larrivee instruments.

Pretty cool story Tuffy.  I have never owned a Taylor either.  I was deciding between a Taylor and a Martin and met a guy who played a Larrivee.  He let me play it for a while and that set me on my quest to find out more about Larrivees.  They were pretty elusive, hard to find in those days, but I now have 3.  I still check out other guitars
from time to time, and checked out the newer revoiced Taylors, which sound way too thumpy, like they really were chasing the Martin bass.
I certainly think Taylor has done a remarkable job in manufacturing and marketing, but they are not for me.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

After playing only classical for many years (and after a quadruple bypass) I got rid of the classical and bought a Taylor 214. After less that a year and after purchasing my L-03 I decided the 214 just didn't cut it and sold it. The only Taylor I might be interested in now would be the 352ce or 362ce (the new small body, short scale 12-strings) but I haven't seen any to play so, for now, I'm happy with my assortment.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Hello, I am a new member here.  My twin is a big Taylor guy, I almost hooked him on a Larrivee but he resisted.  My Larrivee is a custom Italian Spruce/Silver Oak P03.  My Taylor is a custom Grand Concert all Tasmanian Blackwood.   They make great guitars and are very consistent as expected with the high level of mechanization Taylor uses.  Andy Powers is a genius designer and their marketing is superb.  They have their way of doing business.

On the other hand, the Larrivees seem to each have a piece of the family in them and I am a proud owner.  They have their way of doing business.

Did you know Mr. Larrivee and Mr. Taylor are friends?