Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My New Northwood 00 custom  (Read 395 times)
webberink

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:44:57 PM »

I thought I would post some pictures of my new Northwood Guitar custom.  It was designed by John McQuarrie and myself to mark Canada's 150th anniversary in 2017 and absolutely beautifully hand crafted by John.  It is made from all Canadian woods except the fretboard and bridge which are of course ebony.  Western red cedar top,  large leaf maple back and sides, black walnut bindings, Engelmann spruce bracing, sugar maple neck.  It is of course made in Canada at John's Sorrento, BC shop.  This guitar is so Canadian that it says "excuse me, you have to listen to me" when it is strummed.  It is amazing.
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:04:58 PM »

Whoa!  Nice one Dave!.   nice guitar

George
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 11:05:05 PM »

Stunning!
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 01:28:04 AM »

Some more photos of my Northwood 00 Custom.  These were all taken by John McQuarrie

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 12:37:58 PM »

drool

nice guitar  luv the maple neck

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »

The rock maple or sugar maple neck was at John McQuarrie's suggestion as we were planning the project.  I wanted all Canadian woods for the guitar thus the variation from the usual mahogany neck.  I am really pleased with the neck, both the way it looks with its black walnut binding as well as how it feels and plays. John said that sugar maple was an ideal wood for guitar necks as it was a very very stable wood.  it is hand carved, satin finished and very comfortable.  The tuners are Waverly.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »

The fretboard and bridge on some guitars have been made from walnut... I think you should re-order and get a 100% Canadian wood guitar...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 05:32:45 PM »

Well she was out for her first public performance yesterday.  She behaved extremely well ... and it (not me) got rave reviews.  I can't get over the tone and volume of this guitar.  The bass response blows me away.  The western red cedar top is amazing combined with the maple back and sides.  The top came from a big old cedar log washed up in Tabo Inlet on the coast of Central BC about 25 years ago.  God knows how long it was a floating piece of driftwood before that.  John McQuarrie had a couple of cants cut from it back when it washed up and has produced the most amazing tops from it.  It is the darkest cedar I have ever seen.  Sooooo Sweeeet.
Dave

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 06:06:07 PM »

Oh so nice!  Twelve frets of happiness no doubt?

webberink

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 09:57:58 PM »

Yes Denis ... real guitar bliss that only a 12 fret can produce.  I would love to hear you play one of your arrangements on her some time ... if you ever get out west ... who knows.
Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: