My New Northwood 00 custom

Started by webberink, August 18, 2017, 03:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I thought I would post some pictures of my new Northwood Guitar custom.  It was designed by John McQuarrie and myself to mark Canada's 150th anniversary in 2017 and absolutely beautifully hand crafted by John.  It is made from all Canadian woods except the fretboard and bridge which are of course ebony.  Western red cedar top,  large leaf maple back and sides, black walnut bindings, Engelmann spruce bracing, sugar maple neck.  It is of course made in Canada at John's Sorrento, BC shop.  This guitar is so Canadian that it says "excuse me, you have to listen to me" when it is strummed.  It is amazing.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Whoa!  Nice one Dave!.   :nice guitar:
George

Some more photos of my Northwood 00 Custom.  These were all taken by John McQuarrie

:drool:

:nice guitar:  luv the maple neck
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

The rock maple or sugar maple neck was at John McQuarrie's suggestion as we were planning the project.  I wanted all Canadian woods for the guitar thus the variation from the usual mahogany neck.  I am really pleased with the neck, both the way it looks with its black walnut binding as well as how it feels and plays. John said that sugar maple was an ideal wood for guitar necks as it was a very very stable wood.  it is hand carved, satin finished and very comfortable.  The tuners are Waverly.

The fretboard and bridge on some guitars have been made from walnut... I think you should re-order and get a 100% Canadian wood guitar...

:humour:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Well she was out for her first public performance yesterday.  She behaved extremely well ... and it (not me) got rave reviews.  I can't get over the tone and volume of this guitar.  The bass response blows me away.  The western red cedar top is amazing combined with the maple back and sides.  The top came from a big old cedar log washed up in Tabo Inlet on the coast of Central BC about 25 years ago.  God knows how long it was a floating piece of driftwood before that.  John McQuarrie had a couple of cants cut from it back when it washed up and has produced the most amazing tops from it.  It is the darkest cedar I have ever seen.  Sooooo Sweeeet.
Dave

Yes Denis ... real guitar bliss that only a 12 fret can produce.  I would love to hear you play one of your arrangements on her some time ... if you ever get out west ... who knows.
Dave

Wow what a  :nice guitar:
I'm sure the Cedar with Maple combo makes for a great finger-style instrument which must be hyper-responsive.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Man, what a beauty!
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

Absolutely beautiful, congrats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Beautiful guitar.  I hope you love it for a long time.
Bob

Northwood
Noname Italian classical 1969
Hashimoto classical 1963
Conde Hermanos (3)
Martin nylon backpacker
Blueridge 341
sadly sold: Larrivee Forum III

Absolutely gorgeous! Any chance of hearing it?
Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele