Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OM-40 Legacy Oddity?  (Read 267 times)
Skip Ellis

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »

Stumbled into a 2015 OM-40 that I might be interested in but it has some discrepancies: it's advertised as 'natural gloss' (and looks that way), plus it has small diamond shaped fret markers. It's possible that the finish could have been polished by a previous owner but not sure. Also, with the fret markers being other than dots, could it have been a special order or limited edition for some dealer? It has the normal 'rope' trim rosette and body trim. It also has the lightly engraved tuner buttons. Not sure what this is but it might be just what I'm looking for as I like the Legacy series but am not overly fond of the satin finish.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »

Diamond fretmarkers are typical of the 40 (legacy) series. Don't know what to tell you about the gloss. May be aftermarket 

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:09:17 PM »

Diamond fret markers, satin finish, and herringbone trim are standard features of the 40 (legacy) series.   Sounds like someone polished out the satin finish on an OM-40 to achieve the "natural gloss" you mentioned.  No harm, no foul..  I'd do that to my D-40R if I had the skill.  
rbpicker

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:58:29 PM »

If it's the one at Elderly, that was mine, Skip.  I polished it out to a gloss (sort of a soft vintage gloss). It is a dandy. I bought it from Elderly, had it about a year and a half, and then traded it for its rosewood cousin,,and then bought an all mahogany one (both 12 fretters (both of which I've polished out, as I don't like satin finishes either.)

It's not on consignment, so I have no financial interest in it, but it's a sweet guitar. It has a couple of minor dings, but it's in excellent condition.  Those are the original tuners.  Loud and full sound.

Let me know if I can tell you more about it.

Roger
Skip Ellis

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:49:16 AM »

rbpicker: Thanks! That's the one. They were unsure about it when I questioned them and are trying to get an answer from the factory, I think. Their shop said they didn't think it was an after market polish so I guess you did a good job. They also were not sure but thought the machine heads were original. I believe they listed it as excellent condition - what can you tell me about the dings, scratches, etc.? Action good, plenty of saddle left, etc.? That looks like a Greven pickguard - did you add that?
rbpicker

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 02:23:40 AM »

Hi Skip,
Yes, the tuners are original to the guitar.  The action was good when I traded it in. Elderly, as a shop policy, goes over every used guitar and returns the setup to factory specs.  I had lowered the nut slots a little as I fingerpick and like a low action. They may have raised it up again, but that's an easy fix if you don't like it. The saddle is factory stock and there was plenty of saddle height. They will have polished and leveled the frets if there were any issues there, so it should play very well. There were no scratches that I recall, just some small minor dents here and there that you need to look to find (pencil point size). It has been there for a few weeks, so the condition I describe is as it was when I traded it. However, I've been a customer there for 35 years and their guitars don't get mistreated, so I'm guessing it is still good.

Yes, I added the pickguard. It is one of LMI's plastic guards. Not as thick as a Greven.

Hope this helps Skip. let me know what you decide.

Roger.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: