Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of Rosewood did they use in Vintage Larrivee guitars?  (Read 512 times)
Crocefan4life

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2017, 03:10:19 AM »

I looked at the current Larrivee product sheets and the ones I checked, all use Indian Rosewood. That's what I expected. You'd have to add another zero onto the price for the other types. 😊

How about vintage Larrivee's?  Did they ever use Madagascar Rosewood or Brazilian?

There was a time when Rosewood wasn't so rare & hard to get.

My D-09 was made in the early 00's. I assume it's Indian Rosewood.

How far back before you'd find a vintage acoustic with Madagascar Rosewood or Brazilian back & sides?
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »

How about vintage Larrivee's?  Did they ever use Madagascar Rosewood or Brazilian?

I would guess that 95 to 99% of their Rosewood Guitars were IR which is JCL's preference

If you consider 1997 and 2007 Vintage?  I have a a Braz from 97 and a Madagascar from 2007

Here is the 2007 Madi - The Friendship · Anniversary" series, commemorating the 40th anniversary of Larrivee , the 60th anniversary of the Japanese dealer Kanda Shokai.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »

I have a 2008 Brazilian and a 2016 Madagascar Rosewood.  They don't have to be vintage...

George
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 08:02:25 PM »

JCL told me eir may soon go the way of Braz.
Crocefan4life

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 08:48:34 PM »

I haven't seen Brazilian Rosewood except in photos.

I wouldn't have a clue which Rosewood guitar is which.

The guitars I've seen in Indian Rosewood are beautiful.

I really like the anniversary Guitar in madagascar R. Larrivee makes gorgeous Guitars.

You wouldn't think guitars use that much Rosewood. The back is maybe a 1/8" thick? A fingerboard is about 1/4".

One log would make a lot of guitars.
willynelson13

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:37:40 PM »

You wouldn't think guitars use that much Rosewood. The back is maybe a 1/8" thick? A fingerboard is about 1/4".

One log would make a lot of guitars.

True, but there is more to the story. Out of an entire log, there is only so much of the wood that is considered usable for a guitar, knots, twists, colour, these combined remove a large portion of a log that is suitable for guitar wood. And there is a huge market for rosewood furniture. The quality of wood for furniture can vary, imperfections can be hidden, so they can use the whole log for those purposes. Thus the decline in abundance of rosewood available. And as with Brazilian rosewood and to a certain degree Honduran mahogany, the quality of the reaming supply is not of the quality to use for fine guitars. That is just my 2 cents on the comment that EIR may soon be less available in the near future for guitars.
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 02:01:44 AM »

It's not that guitars use a lot of rosewood, it's that they use any at all. When an item is banned/restricted/controlled, the regulators don't like to play around with exceptions because it invites problems like rule bending, smuggling, etc.  Guitars use miniscule amounts of rosewood comped to furniture. But, like I say, when it's banned, ANY often becomes too much.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »

It's not that guitars use a lot of rosewood, it's that they use any at all. When an item is banned/restricted/controlled, the regulators don't like to play around with exceptions because it invites problems like rule bending, smuggling, etc.  Guitars use miniscule amounts of rosewood comped to furniture. But, like I say, when it's banned, ANY often becomes too much.

That's because the first thing government bans is intelligent choices.
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »

+1

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 03:17:51 PM »

Well, that can't have people going around thinking and making choices. Sheep are much harder to tend when you let them do that.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »

And the obvious answer ... vintage rosewood! 
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 04:52:47 PM »

AS mentioned EIR was mostly used since 1967 for his classical guitars, with some BZ as well.
The 1971 (first steel string Jean built) that I am in possession of is EIR, but I have played and owned BZ ones from the early seventies as well.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: