Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustelectric  (Read 482 times)
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:57:31 PM »

Does anyone (preferably Larrivee) produce an electric that is similar to an acoustic neck, guitar? I know the bakersfield has the 1 3/4" neck, but is that as close as it gets? I have messed around with some electrics, and have determined getting used to the neck and strings would be a big adjustment.
Just an idea to kick around.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:44:11 PM »

Does anyone (preferably Larrivee) produce an electric that is similar to an acoustic neck, guitar? I know the bakersfield has the 1 3/4" neck, but is that as close as it gets? I have messed around with some electrics, and have determined getting used to the neck and strings would be a big adjustment.
Just an idea to kick around.

I will only say here, that in my opinion, the RS-4 neck is identical to the L-body neck. When I got the Forum V #7, I commented on the neck. I said playing the L-05 for a year got me ready.
Mike
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 08:48:49 PM »

I will only say here, that in my opinion, the RS-4 neck is identical to the L-body neck. When I got the Forum V #7, I commented on the neck. I said playing the L-05 for a year got me ready.
Mike

I would agree with this as well for the RS series, but the other bolt-on Larrivee electric necks are a bit more chunky...

George
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 02:22:15 AM »

I will only say here, that in my opinion, the RS-4 neck is identical to the L-body neck.
+1

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 02:35:05 AM »

Aren't they 1 11/16" nut? Can they handle mediums?

Pain is a good thing
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 03:05:34 AM »

Ok, so I went and measured the Forum V and the L-05 across the nut with the calipers...
RS-4 is 1.70
L-05 is 1.76
Busted!
The necks still seem the same to me.
I did a quick measurement on the strings I have on there......
.009, .012, .016, .024, .034, .045. Not acoustic gauges, for sure.
My normal electrical string preferred gauge is .009-.038, but I changed the strings once from strings from a box of strings I have lying around....
Aside from  this input, still say the necks still seem exactly alike to me. That is as a player.
(EDIT).. even tho the measurements at the nut might mislead, the RS-4 does not have a D-body profile neck. It is like the L-body neck. It feels just like the acoustic.
Mike
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 06:04:10 AM »

Ok, so I went and measured the Forum V and the L-05 across the nut with the calipers...
RS-4 is 1.70
L-05 is 1.76
Busted!
The necks still seem the same to me.
I did a quick measurement on the strings I have on there......
.009, .012, .016, .024, .034, .045. Not acoustic gauges, for sure.
My normal electrical string preferred gauge is .009-.038, but I changed the strings once from strings from a box of strings I have lying around....
Aside from  this input, still say the necks still seem exactly alike to me. That is as a player.
(EDIT).. even tho the measurements at the nut might mislead, the RS-4 does not have a D-body profile neck. It is like the L-body neck. It feels just like the acoustic.
Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm not quite ready for an electric yet, but I suspect the day will come. The bakersfield is in my sights.

Pain is a good thing
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »

They can handle heavier strings, I use .011-.052 nickel on most of mine (I like a wound 3rd on all guitars).  Just like an acoustic, I highly recommend a setup when you change string gauges.  My comment about neck profile was just to indicate that I do see a difference in feel from the RS series, which are very much like the acoustics, to the Malibu that has a bolt-on neck instead of a set neck like the RS series.  The bolt-on necks have a chunkier profile, but there is not a significant enough difference to impact your playing...  If you try one you will likely get hooked on the Larrivee electrics as well...

George
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:31:24 AM »

Thanks Mike, I'm not quite ready for an electric yet, but I suspect the day will come. The bakersfield is in my sights.
The Bakersfield won't have the similar neck you seek

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 02:39:42 AM »

The Bakersfield won't have the similar neck you seek

Doesn't it come with 1 3/4" nut?

Pain is a good thing
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »

Doesn't it come with 1 3/4" nut?
It does but that's were the similarity ends. You want similarity to the acoustics - go with an RS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: