Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: strings and strings, and strings.....  (Read 321 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2017, 11:34:57 PM »

A life time of bronze and phosphor bronze, the loud brash new sound, the slow decline to the lost intonation, harmonic edge as they go dead.
 Going dead, in the summer, with humidity and a lot of shows can be on one gig, or at best on week.

I tried the monels, and they were fine, different, and took getting used to but were consistent from day one to day ten.

Recently, I posted something about the new D'darrio nickel/bronze strings (with the little inside guitar tuner).
 I bought 5 sets.
 I put them on three stage guitars.

no there is no big new string brash sound from them, they're mellow, and clear, stay in tune, and keep their intonation for a couple or more weeks, and don't squeak.

the sound of them changes much less than bronze, and they consistency and stable tuning for live work (cuz I do a lot of that) is pretty important.
 they also really sound great with pick-ups and outboard gear.

I wasn't sure how I was gonna feel about them, until I put a set of phosphor bronze back on one of the guitars and i had grown used to the subtle warmth of the nickel bronze that the new bronze I just put on just sound brash, & harsh.
 after one night, off they came, and i went back to the new alloy.

so yes, whether it's Monels or these new nickel/bronze strings, it takes some getting used to, but certainly worth it.

just 2 cents from an old guy who didn't think he could learn anything.
 love that .

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:48:53 PM »

+1  I couldn't agree more with your synopsis, exactly what have experienced as well.  I now have either brand of acoustic nickel on more guitars than not...

George
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 12:14:38 AM »

You are a good sales man. I am gonna definetly give these a try.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 12:57:00 AM »

angry CR*P Kevin after years of the same old same old now I have to try a new string............

You S*CK!!!!!!!!

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 02:25:13 AM »

ya sorry,
 hey Rob, i try to keep an open mind, and honestly, i really tried my best to poo poo this concept.
 been playing bronze since 1969 or 70, never had an issue.
always loved the "new string day" and that big loud brassy KA CHANG of the first chord after a string change.
and, well, you know the deal, slowly they just become "KA THUMP/KA THUD  and intonation drops 2-5 points as you go up the neck etc.

so honestly, even for this old guy, to discover a new way to listen ( the alloy is a huge difference upon first listen) but the ooze & warmth and consistency just make the journey a better one.

Honestly? don't take my word for it.
 try the change, get used to the difference, be sceptical ( I was) then after a week or two, go back to bronze, and give me your opinion....

Like over 50?

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 03:39:53 AM »

I'm just so old and in my ways,change come's hard,but I plan on checking them out.Did the tone translate when playing thru a plugged in?I'm using the Bagg's Anthem SL.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »

I'm just so old and in my ways,change come's hard,but I plan on checking them out.Did the tone translate when playing thru a plugged in?I'm using the Bagg's Anthem SL.

I'm not familiar with that pick-up, I have Baggs Elements in most of my guitars and I liked the response through my personal system and through other rigs so far.
I wasn't born yesterday, not is it my first rodeo, but any solid challenge to status quo, from a a new of of approaching things, for me, is always a welcome thing....

Like over 50?

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 02:10:20 PM »

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: