strings and strings, and strings.....

Started by headsup, August 07, 2017, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A life time of bronze and phosphor bronze, the loud brash new sound, the slow decline to the lost intonation, harmonic edge as they go dead.
Going dead, in the summer, with humidity and a lot of shows can be on one gig, or at best on week.

I tried the monels, and they were fine, different, and took getting used to but were consistent from day one to day ten.

Recently, I posted something about the new D'darrio nickel/bronze strings (with the little inside guitar tuner).
I bought 5 sets.
I put them on three stage guitars.

no there is no big new string brash sound from them, they're mellow, and clear, stay in tune, and keep their intonation for a couple or more weeks, and don't squeak.

the sound of them changes much less than bronze, and they consistency and stable tuning for live work (cuz I do a lot of that) is pretty important.
they also really sound great with pick-ups and outboard gear.

I wasn't sure how I was gonna feel about them, until I put a set of phosphor bronze back on one of the guitars and i had grown used to the subtle warmth of the nickel bronze that the new bronze I just put on just sound brash, & harsh.
after one night, off they came, and i went back to the new alloy.

so yes, whether it's Monels or these new nickel/bronze strings, it takes some getting used to, but certainly worth it.

just 2 cents from an old guy who didn't think he could learn anything.
love that .

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

:+1:  I couldn't agree more with your synopsis, exactly what have experienced as well.  I now have either brand of acoustic nickel on more guitars than not...
George

You are a good sales man. I am gonna definetly give these a try.

:angry: CR*P Kevin after years of the same old same old now I have to try a new string............

You S*CK!!!!!!!!

:wave  :cheers  :humour:

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

ya sorry,
hey Rob, i try to keep an open mind, and honestly, i really tried my best to poo poo this concept.
been playing bronze since 1969 or 70, never had an issue.
always loved the "new string day" and that big loud brassy KA CHANG of the first chord after a string change.
and, well, you know the deal, slowly they just become "KA THUMP/KA THUD  and intonation drops 2-5 points as you go up the neck etc.

so honestly, even for this old guy, to discover a new way to listen ( the alloy is a huge difference upon first listen) but the ooze & warmth and consistency just make the journey a better one.

Honestly? don't take my word for it.
try the change, get used to the difference, be sceptical ( I was) then after a week or two, go back to bronze, and give me your opinion.... :cheers
Like over 50?

I'm just so old and in my ways,change come's hard,but I plan on checking them out.Did the tone translate when playing thru a plugged in?I'm using the Bagg's Anthem SL.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on August 07, 2017, 10:39:53 PM
I'm just so old and in my ways,change come's hard,but I plan on checking them out.Did the tone translate when playing thru a plugged in?I'm using the Bagg's Anthem SL.

I'm not familiar with that pick-up, I have Baggs Elements in most of my guitars and I liked the response through my personal system and through other rigs so far.
I wasn't born yesterday, not is it my first rodeo, but any solid challenge to status quo, from a a new of of approaching things, for me, is always a welcome thing....
Like over 50?

:thumb
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I'm still pretty happy with the different alloy strings.
the D'addario NB strings are slowly replacing the regular bronze strings on my guitars.
consistent from day one, no surprises, long life, get intonation.

not much else to say.

anybody else trying the "new" idea?

thoughts?

(ya it takes some getting used to, but once settled, hard to go back).....

Like over 50?

As most may recall, I recently acquired my L-10, played the strings that came on it for about a week then switched to the D'Addario NB'S, I went down to lights, am thinking I may try them in the Mediums to see how those sound.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: Rockysdad on November 01, 2017, 08:55:47 PM
As most may recall, I recently acquired my L-10, played the strings that came on it for about a week then switched to the D'Addario NB'S, I went down to lights, am thinking I may try them in the Mediums to see how those sound.

They make sets of NB's with light tops and heavy bottoms.  I like them.  Sometimes I find the bottom strings I like the most and just change the high E and B strings to a lighter gauge... The tension is better for my old fingers and I still get great tone...

On a side note, there are other brands of nickel that sound good too.  John Pearse makes Pure Nickel (not plated) sets in several gauges and they are extremely resonant.  On some guitars I like Martin Monel Retros and I often mix the gauges to get what I like to play.  Newtone makes nickel plated sets in Master Class acoustic and in their Archtop nickel which are doublewound.  All good...
George

Oh man...I'd love to try those.  Unfortunately, my nickel sensitivity seems to be worsening with age.  Recently switched to steel strings from nickel on my bass for that very reason. So far the PBs don't cause the cracking and blistering on my fingers that nickel strings do.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Quote from: Rockysdad on November 01, 2017, 08:55:47 PM

I just put a set of NB on my 1980 L10 last night. I think the "bluegrass" set (medium bottoms/light tops) are the way to go for me as well. Yes the Pearse pure alloy Monels are excellent strings, I chose the A'saddaric's because they were giving a nice sound hole tuner away with each purchase....
Like over 50?

I can't believe I haven't responded in this thread yet, because I'm "another lover from a different mother" of the Monel Retros (and to a lesser extent, the D'A NB's). Kevin, you're right - once you get used to that warm tone, it's hard to go back.

Some people (on another forum I frequent by the company that makes the guitars as well as the Monel strings - ahem!) say that they only like the Monels on their hog guitars, but not on the rosewood ones. That hasn't been my experience: I like them on both (and on my silver oak C-10).

Some of you like heavy bottom/light tops - cool. But I like a 17 and 13 on the high B and E strings - to get as much meat in their tone as possible. This is easier on older, mature guitars - that thicker tone is there naturally, but on newer guitars, the thicker strings help. Like Barefoot unclrob, I've been known to put a 14 on the high E to really tame the twang...

My favorite set is the Laurence Juber in the Monels: heavy E on the bass and on the high E & B; lighter strings for the A, D & G. It really balances out to a nice playing, balanced set (as long as you don't need to bend a lot on the high strings). The Jubers are a little harder to find - but I can always get them at JustStrings.com. 

That's my string testimony an' I'm stickin' to it!  :thumbsup
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I agree that the heavier gauges do sound better even on the high end, but I just cannot fret them (High e and b) for as long as I want to play.  Any suggestions?
George

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 16, 2017, 09:33:20 AM

Some of you like heavy bottom/light tops - cool. But I like a 17 and 13 on the high B and E strings - to get as much meat in their tone as possible. This is easier on older, mature guitars - that thicker tone is there naturally, but on newer guitars, the thicker strings help. Like Barefoot unclrob, I've been known to put a 14 on the high E to really tame the twang...

My favorite set is the Laurence Juber in the Monels: heavy E on the bass and on the high E & B; lighter strings for the A, D & G. It really balances out to a nice playing, balanced set (as long as you don't need to bend a lot on the high strings). The Jubers are a little harder to find - but I can always get them at JustStrings.com. 

That's my string testimony an' I'm stickin' to it!  :thumbsup

Mike, ej24's meet that configuration as well.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I have a rather important update on the d'addario sound hole guitar tuner, that initially was thrilled with.
The "new" tuner was something that came "free" with their new NB strings.

I mentioned, at the time, although I don't care to use tuners unless absolutely necessary, the clip on headstock tuners are simply annoying to me. (and not always accurate).

I really liked the hidden sound hole tuner ( although not terribly accurate either) concept, and found them easy enough to use on gigs.

problem is, they tend to fall and then they are INSIDE the body of the guitar.
Problem enough rolling around and getting them out is a stupid way to spend anyones time.

When using different pick-ups or pre-amps inside the guitar, with sensitive wires as well.....
um, ya you can see the complex issues that might arise from having a tuning rolling around inside a guitar.

Maybe for couch players, or folks that are a bit more static with regards to their stage shows than I, this might not be an issue.
Sadly, for the other folks who might handle my guitars, and for anything resembling an energetic stage show- the tuner will dislodge its;f and then be bounced around inside the guitar.

Not a good thing....
so, with regrets, those tuners might not be a good choice.
once again, good ears are always a better choice, of, of course a high quality kill pedal is safe.

sorry if I led anyone astray ( I doubt I did) but just had to admit my own folly.

Like over 50?