Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum III #1 AMAZING CHANGE  (Read 612 times)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2017, 03:29:25 AM »

My F-III was really in need of a new set of strings. So I changed the strings and tuners.

All I have to say is WOW!!! What a difference, I can't say enough about the tone and projection being so very much better.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 03:49:36 AM »

My FIII #3 also gets new life every time I change strings.   What kind did you use ?  Regular old EJ-16 for me.  except a couple of times I used John Pearse.   They were a bit brighter but soon settled in to a very nice tone that lasted quite a while before I had to replace them.   Getting in on the Forum III guitar adventure was one of the best musical decisions I ever made.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 03:52:54 AM »

Yup EJ-16s.

Of course I agree about getting in on the F-III.

gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »

Changing strings on the Forum III.  Here's my .02;

Well I've always thought my Forum III needed a little more in the bass.  After searching strings for a while I finally came around to Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze.  Without a doubt, the best sounding strings on the Larrivee and I have tried just about all of them.  I love my Forum III but always thought though the mids were strong with great trebles the bass needed a little more oomph.  Along came the Ernie Ball ABs that gave the bass what it needed.  Amazing sound from a pretty nice guitar.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 03:40:09 PM »

Changing strings on the Forum III.  Here's my .02;

Well I've always thought my Forum III needed a little more in the bass.  After searching strings for a while I finally came around to Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze.  Without a doubt, the best sounding strings on the Larrivee and I have tried just about all of them.  I love my Forum III but always thought though the mids were strong with great trebles the bass needed a little more oomph.  Along came the Ernie Ball ABs that gave the bass what it needed.  Amazing sound from a pretty nice guitar.
My forum III is Italian spruce over mahogany. When I first played it after the string change what was most prominent, was the bass boom.
On mine I wouldn't want to change anything on it's tone. I do know we all hear differently and each guitar has it's own distinctive response.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »

Getting in on the Forum III guitar adventure was one of the best musical decisions I ever made.

One of my big regrets was not getting in on this one... I think I may have joined the forum just after this project was finished...  crying

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 11:06:51 PM »

One of my big regrets was not getting in on this one... I think I may have joined the forum just after this project was finished...  crying

Noop that was me, you were about 4 years prior

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 02:41:55 AM »

I just saw a Forum III guitar (#53) with Italian Spruce over Mahogany listed on Reverb last month for $945 and thought it was a misprint.

I remember being at Trinity several times during the era when these guitars were being ordered and built. Hard to believe but the Forum III is nearing it's 10th anniversary. That is probably helping the tone on string changes.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 02:26:36 PM »

Noop that was me, you were about 4 years prior

Well, then I blew it by not getting in on this one! I know there are a few lefties out there, but they're certainly not going to come up for sale very often.

I am looking at another Larrivee (already!  rolleye ) online - gotta wait a couple more weeks before I can take the plunge. So we'll see if it's still available.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 04:38:33 PM »

I just saw a Forum III guitar (#53) with Italian Spruce over Mahogany listed on Reverb last month for $945 and thought it was a misprint.

I remember being at Trinity several times during the era when these guitars were being ordered and built. Hard to believe but the Forum III is nearing it's 10th anniversary. That is probably helping the tone on string changes.

I think we just passed our 8th year back in March. But I could be wrong.
Still the forum III is mellowing with age, nicely.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 06:37:14 PM »

I think we just passed our 8th year back in March. But I could be wrong.
Still the forum III is mellowing with age, nicely.

Yep,   8 Years !
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 01:53:04 AM »

Heh, who is that young man. All my hair is gray and white now. But the forum III is still looking great.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »

Regular old EJ-16 for me.  except a couple of times I used John Pearse.   They were a bit brighter but soon settled in to a very nice tone that lasted quite a while before I had to replace them.   Getting in on the Forum III guitar adventure was one of the best musical decisions I ever made.

The ol' EJ-16's are the industry standard....

blush I was sooooo tempted to get one of my own at the time - I reckon these might be the ultimate batch of custom Larrivees.....

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: