what kind of pick do u use/

Started by DaveyO, July 29, 2017, 06:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just received a couple of John Pearse Fast Turtle picks from Strings and Beyond.  So far I am impressed.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Tried Gravity Picks, V-Picks, Planet Waves...but really am most happy with Fender medium.

Jim Dunlop nylon in .65mm to .75mm thicknesses.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I play with my nails (OK, they're not really mine; they're acrylic) almost exclusively for the past several years but when I reach for a pick I always prefer Claytons.
But a Fender MED is a very good second choice.
I never cared for any of the gimmicky ones like metal or stone or ground-down quarters.

I've been using Dunlop 72 or 73mm picks for as long as I can remember, and I always use the round edge to pick with.
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on July 29, 2017, 10:00:47 PM
I've been using Tusq .88 or 1. for a few years now.I like hard picks for some unknown reason,use to use Fender or fender style heavies before that.At home I mostly use my finger or my thumb.
Ditto here except almost always 1.0.  They have pretty good grip albeit smooth and last longer too. Harder picks have better tone and if you play lead a thin pick skips over notes too easy. I mean too each their own but for me. I'm getting close to 50/50 between using a pick at all or using bare fingers.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: DaveyO on July 29, 2017, 06:37:10 PM
After trying different types thru the yrs
fender mediums work best for me
Should I move up to a charmed life pick
Or something like that?
Is it worth it?
Thoughts?
Dave
I use bumblebee thumb picks which function is a pick or a thumb pick so you can use your fingers as needed. They are truly amazing, you can adjust the depth of the pick, or the angle of the attack, and they come in light, medium and hard. I usually use the medium, unless I'm just strumming and then I use the light. I'm a lead guitar player and it allows me to go back and forth between lead and rhythm very easily, you should check them out.