Previous topic - Next topic

After trying different types thru the yrs
fender mediums work best for me
Should I move up to a charmed life pick
Or something like that?
Is it worth it?
Thoughts?
Dave

Pretty often, I play with just my finger.  When I do use a pick, it is Cool Picks Cat Tongue Nylon...  either 0.73 or 0.53.  They have a sandpaper texture where you hold them which makes them easy to hold onto...  and they are about as cheap as those Fender Mediums.

Ed

I think picks are like strings, everyone has their own needs.  I sat down and tested about thirty different ones a few years back, every material, every thickness, shapes/points and just about as many different picking/strumming styles.  What I learned was that an expensive Blue Chip or Red Bear are pretty much a waste of money, there are plenty of inexpensive materials, thicknesses, varieties of shapes/points, textures and whatever else you look for to do the job.  I can tell you that what I mainly learned is that material and thickness differences can produce many, many quite different tonal combinations/percussions that are quite discernible to the ear.  My suggestion would be to start with your mediums and test them like you would strings (go up and down in thickness and try different materials, even the metal ones), and without spending a ton of money, you should be able figure out which ones feels the best, fit the best and produce the tonal qualities you need.  At one point I was keeping 18 different ones handy so I could create different tonal responses from the guitar.  Now I only keep about six on my pick holder on my stand.  Right now I would have to say my favorite two are an Ultex .60 and a Snark neo-tortoise .64...(but I do keep thicker and thinner ones on hand)  It was a very fun and rewarding experiment for me anyway...
George

Quote from: eded on July 29, 2017, 07:05:13 PM
Pretty often, I play with just my finger.  When I do use a pick, it is Cool Picks Cat Tongue Nylon...  either 0.73 or 0.53.  They have a sandpaper texture where you hold them which makes them easy to hold onto...  and they are about as cheap as those Fender Mediums.

Ed

I use those Cat Tongue picks as well.  Lately it's been easier for me to find the Dunlops that have a similar sand-paper like feel in a heavier gauge.  It's the Max Grip type.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dunlop-nylon-max-grip-guitar-picks--12-pack

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I've been using Tusq .88 or 1. for a few years now.I like hard picks for some unknown reason,use to use Fender or fender style heavies before that.At home I mostly use my finger or my thumb.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I round off all the picks I use to soften or eliminate the "ting".
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

This is my favourite.

Oh! I thought you said puck.

I took a Larrivee 1mm pick and put double sided tape on where I hold it. Also tried rough sanding a few.
   Holding on to picks has been a problem for me for at least 10 years.
    I also use a 1mm Dunlop.

Since most of my guitars are setup low for finger style, I need to use a lighter pick to keep from buzzing and rattling. I'm gonna make a new nut and saddle for the forum III to make it a better strummer.

I have even drilled a triangle of small holes in a pick that is sometimes hard to hold, it works...
George

Quote from: George on July 31, 2017, 10:06:18 AM
I have even drilled a triangle of small holes in a pick that is sometimes hard to hold, it works...

For a while, I used to use a hole punch, the kind you use to punch holes for a loose leaf notebook.  It was easy, and worked.

Ed

Quote from: DaveyO on July 29, 2017, 06:37:10 PM
Or something like that?
Is it worth it?
Thoughts?
Dave
My stepson gave me a Pick Punch, which looks like a stapler and can punch standard size picks from credit cards and such.
This is useful for punching out something like a standard thin or medium pick, but is mostly a novelty item.
I have had it for years.
Mike

Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: DaveyO on July 29, 2017, 06:37:10 PM
Or something like that?
Is it worth it?
Thoughts?
Dave

I've also use Fender Mediums for years.  I bought a ton of the California Clears about 15 years ago and used them up recently.  Bought some new ones and I seem to break them much sooner than the old ones.  Not sure if the quality has changed or what.  It's one of those things that I've found and I like them.  Following this thread to determine if there may be something better out there, but these seem to work well for me. 
L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers

Nylon, relatively thin works for me.  I'm the most used to the Dunlop 0.60 light grey picks.  Where I work, Lee Valley Tools, we have a Pick Punch and we recycle used gift cards into guitar picks.  I think the cards yield picks about 1 mm thick.  Most players find this thickness OK according to our customers. 
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I've moved to using mostly mediums (like the old white Larrivee picks) or Jim Dunlop "M" medium tortoise ones for electric, but I like something a little thicker on acoustic - but I want something that sounds crisp on the bass strings and yet isn't "plinky" or twangy on the trebles. I've found a couple that work very well for this from Pickboy - the Meta Carbonate 1.00mm and the Pos - a - grip 120.

I also like the old, thicker Larrivee pics for acoustic. The new heavy Larrivee tortoise picks work well, but those old ones (like the ones I got with my RS-4 and RS-2) just have a snap to them that's great.

I don't so much wear out picks as I lose them... so I really keep an eye on the few old Larrivee picks I still have!  :winkin:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I used to prefer Fender mediums or whatever reasonable equivalent was available.  But over the past couple of years, ive grown out of picks and am playing exclusively fingerstyle, even when strumming hard.  For electric and mando stuff I still use buffalo horn picks.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Although almost all my playing now is fingerstyle with a thump pick and acrylic gel nails, once, a long long time ago, a friend gave me a real turtle shell flat pick and it was incredible.  I had that pick for about 10 years and used it almost exclusively.  And then I lost it.  I cried.   I am definitely not a fan of using any material from an endangered species but have often wanted to find a flat pic that would at least come close to real turtle shell.  I recently read the following article that has set me on a new search. http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/turtle-shell-vs-faux-turtle-shell-picks/12700
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 30, 2017, 11:18:07 AM
This is my favourite.

Oh! I thought you said puck.

What the PucK?

Oh! The Puck stops here!
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I recently bought 5 water buffalo horn pics, from China.
their pretty cool, sort of like tortoise shell.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: webberink on August 06, 2017, 05:03:01 PM
Although almost all my playing now is fingerstyle with a thump pick and acrylic gel nails, once, a long long time ago, a friend gave me a real turtle shell flat pick and it was incredible.  I had that pick for about 10 years and used it almost exclusively.  And then I lost it.  I cried.   I am definitely not a fan of using any material from an endangered species but have often wanted to find a flat pic that would at least come close to real turtle shell.  I recently read the following article that has set me on a new search. http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/turtle-shell-vs-faux-turtle-shell-picks/12700
Dave

Thanks for the link to this article Dave.  I just ordered a couple of the Wegen Bluegrass picks to try...  My never ending search for the perfect pick, pickup and strings continues on...
George