Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee laminated guitar  (Read 1108 times)
mingo

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2017, 02:31:08 AM »

Yes it's true Larrivee did make a "Limited Edition Laminated Model" and I just happened to come by one.
First of all let me say that I am a true Larrivee fan. From the moment I picked one up at Guitar center about 20 years ago and said "this is the best guitar I've ever played", I however was short on funds and didn't pick one up for I believe at the time was around $300 bucks. Been looking for a used one ever since.

Fast forward to last week.
Spotted a Larrivee on Offerup for $150, and IMMEDIATLEY bought it.....didn't even look it over. Got it home and noticed the label read "Limited Edition Laminate Series" so I started my Google searching. After I couldn't find anything I went to the Larrivee website and put in the model and serial# and still.......nothing. So I emailed Larrivee directly and they told me that in 1999 Jean wanted to experiment with laminates, and apparently there was only 1 run of this guitar and only 25-30 total produced.

25 to 30 GUITARS TOTAL

I didn't know what to do with this news. I mean I love the guitar (puts all my other guitars to shame) but does this mean I have an outcast guitar that nobody respects, or as I feel a great one of a kind guitar built by one of the finest guitar makers out there.
I'm just looking for any comments out there on the board.............any comments whatsoever
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 02:45:06 AM »

Is it just the back and sides that are laminate?

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
mingo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 03:06:31 AM »

Yep, solid spruce top with an almost orangeish tinge.....really nice.
 The closest model I could find in resemblance is the parlor.
It has matching bone saddle and nut and black neck and body binding, really unique.

Hope you can open the pics, thanks for the reply
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »

I'm curious as to what aspects resemble a parlor to you, as the body shape sure looks like a dreadnought to me. Glad to hear it sounds good.

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:03:41 AM »

I'm curious as to what aspects resemble a parlor to you, as the body shape sure looks like a dreadnought to me. Glad to hear it sounds good.

Some dimensions would help figure out what model it is.  Scale length, upper and lower bouts, and waist.  Looks like a dreadnaught to me.

Ed
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »

Great Collector Guitar as well!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »

Looks legit based on the label, headstock, clear pickguard, and the fact that you heard it directly from Larrivee that a few of these were built.

If it sounds good, it is good - and you got it for a steal! Congrats - and welcome to the Larrivee Forum!

nice guitar

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 04:33:26 PM »

Sounds like a  nice guitar to me. Unique and in good shape. ENJOY

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
markj

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 09:12:25 PM »

Sweet deal! 
uke4jerry

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 03:26:15 AM »

If it sounds good, it is good - and you got it for a steal! Congrats - and welcome to the Larrivee Forum!

nice guitar
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mingo

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »

This boards format is a bit unfamiliar and not sure how to reply to specific posts but I appreciate the comments from everyone.
I emailed several collectors and no one really able to put a value on the guitar. Myself being a huge Larrivee devotee just wondering what you guys think. I'm not wanting to sell the guitar just wondering what it might be worth to a common man like myself, I mean do you view this as a special guitar...or just an oddity
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »

This boards format is a bit unfamiliar and not sure how to reply to specific posts but I appreciate the comments from everyone.
I emailed several collectors and no one really able to put a value on the guitar. Myself being a huge Larrivee devotee just wondering what you guys think. I'm not wanting to sell the guitar just wondering what it might be worth to a common man like myself, I mean do you view this as a special guitar...or just an oddity

To reply to specific posts, click the "quote" button and it will open a reply box.    Like I just did.    Welcome to the forum.   
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »

A place to start would be to contact Larrivee (again!) and ask what the MSRP (and MAP - Minimum Advertised Price) on these was when they were made/sold... maybe someone else here has some info on that (like one of our Larrivee dealers?).

Most laminate-body guitars with solid tops have street prices today from around $199 to $399, depending on wood and build quality and trim (such as abalone rosettes/ headstock inlays, bound necks, etc.). But when this Larrivee was being built, those prices were probably a bit higher (they've been coming down for years); so it may have had a street price closer to $499-649 (I'm guessing here, but also trying to figure in for the Larrivee name/reputation and quality).

You bought the guitar for $150 - quite a deal. The question is: What is the maximum price that most average buyers would be willing to pay for a Larrivee with laminated b/s?  If you do some searches for what used Larrivees in the 01, 02 and 03 series (with all solid woods) have sold for, you'll know that the one you have will probably command a price a bit lower (maybe by $150-250?) than those.

This is all "educated guessing" on my part, and is worth exactly what you paid me for it! But I hope it helps get you started!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
J M Larrivée

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 04:21:39 PM »

If memory serves me correctly, the batch or two that were made of these were released at standard 02/03 Series pricing at the time. Because of their age, there really isn't any digital information on them.

jr
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 04:25:53 PM »

Though it is an interesting Larrivee, if it's in excellent condition, with a hard shell case. I think 500 is the top it could sell for.
    But if I had it, I'd keep it and just enjoy it.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 04:33:26 PM »

If memory serves me correctly, the batch or two that were made of these were released at standard 02/03 Series pricing at the time. Because of their age, there really isn't any digital information on them.

jr

There's part of your answer right there, from the source!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 10:59:45 PM »

I really don't know the answer - as the real value would be to a collector rather than a player - and that might be hard to determine. A used 03 series would likely be a better player but not many collectors would bat-an-eye at an 03 - but this would likely get the attention of the right collector.

It certainly is an oddity but they are out there - not sure how many were in a run(s) that John Jr refers.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
mingo

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 08:36:20 PM »

I really don't know the answer - as the real value would be to a collector rather than a player - and that might be hard to determine. A used 03 series would likely be a better player but not many collectors would bat-an-eye at an 03 - but this would likely get the attention of the right collector.

It certainly is an oddity but they are out there - not sure how many were in a run(s) that John Jr refers.

Larrivee informed me that there were only 24 of these guitars produced as a "test run". Jean didn't care for the result so I have to believe they were not even sold.
The question is.................how did this guitar make its way to Dallas Texas? Maybe they were given away to employees/friends?
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 08:55:47 PM »

jr
this is Larrivee

mingo

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 09:34:02 PM »

this is Larrivee
Oh wow......sorry man I didn't realize I was talking to Larrivee.
That is cool.
Anyway I appreciate the input from everyone, it was just frustrating to finally get a Larrivee and not know anything about the guitar.
If nothing else the whole thing makes for a good story to tell (definitely NOT to my wife though) she just doesn't get it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: