Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Electrics ... again?  (Read 4071 times)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »

Hmmmmm maybe a Forum Malibu

Any interest   I think if we got 10 definites whom didn't need the guitar yesterday that might get Larrivée's attention/interest.

Should I start a Forum V1 thread  

Don’t know there are enough  for a forum edition.
willynelson13

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 08:45:29 PM »

Well if they are going to be doing electrics again, and the Baker-T style has been mentioned, then perhaps a Forum VI malibu could be a possibility?

OM-01
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 01:19:58 AM »

Forum VI malibu, sounds like a plan.   +1

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 03:34:06 PM »

Considering how active this room isn't I'd be surprised if 10 people committed to a forum buy. I might have, had I not found my Lancaster, and already have a Bakersfield (and RS2). And an L-03E, and an LV-03RE coming. No funds left at the moment for guitars, at all.  crying

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
vates

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »

Mmmm.... Forum VI Hog Malibu...

Mahogany body and mahogany neck; 24 3/4 neck scale....   

Just dreamin' ;)

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 11:34:01 PM »

I'm certainly interested in the HxH version for a Forum VI, if that's what you mean by "Malibu"... stop tail, etc.

I don't care about coil taps; if you do the volume and tone controls right, just turning them down a bit gets you everything you need.

Mmmm.... Forum VI Hog Malibu...

Mahogany body and mahogany neck; 24 3/4 neck scale....   

Just dreamin' ;)

Nice to dream, but I don't think you'll get 10 people to agree on such varied specs... and you can get aftermarket short scale necks from Warmoth and others (in lots of different wood species) and do this on an MIM Tele if you really want one...

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 11:39:23 PM »

I do think if you're going to do the Malibu, it should either be a sunburst (Larrivee's sunbursts on ash are GORGEOUS!) or the vintage Butterscotch (which Jeff Beck's original modified by Seymour Duncan had...). 

Maybe Larrivee offers those two color/finish options only on the Forum VI, kinda like the two top options they offered on the Forum III.

I liked the original Bakersfield  1 3/4" nut necks, but would also be fine with 1 11/16. Slighty bulky (on the vintage side) would be my preference for neck profile...

1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 12:41:27 AM »

I do think if you're going to do the Malibu, it should either be a sunburst (Larrivee's sunbursts on ash are GORGEOUS!) or the vintage Butterscotch (which Jeff Beck's original modified by Seymour Duncan had...). 

Maybe Larrivee offers those two color/finish options only on the Forum VI, kinda like the two top options they offered on the Forum III.

I liked the original Bakersfield  1 3/4" nut necks, but would also be fine with 1 11/16. Slighty bulky (on the vintage side) would be my preference for neck profile...

Hey Rev.  My Malibu is Sunburst over Ash and is Gorgeous...  It also has the 1 11/16" nut width, but I was surprised that the neck profile is a bit chunky and not real slim like a Fender...  Plays and sounds really nice with the Gen 3 humbuckers.

George
vates

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »

Mikeymac, thanks for your input. But that's the point of the Forum editions: something special. You can easily buy a used Malibu with standard specs for a good price.

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »

Nice to dream,

Just dreamin' ;)

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »

Hmmmmm maybe a Forum Malibu

Any interest   I think if we got 10 definites whom didn't need the guitar yesterday that might get Larrivée's attention/interest.

Should I start a Forum V1 thread  

We won't know unless we ask, huh... Andrew, you in charge of this? Or is Christmas not a good time to try to get 'er goin'?

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2017, 12:22:32 AM »

I'm all for another "forum" run, of something everyone agreed to.

I posted pics of my Malibu when I got it, and I was excited to have it.

For my needs, on the gigs, beside my standard tele, and the RS4, it came up short.

I believe I posted something about the whole "tele-gib" thing, where it's not really possible to have the better part of both in one guitar.

A tele is a tele, and we play them for their own personalities and tonal canvas.
 Similarly, the RS4 brings so much of it's own tone palette to the table.

Putting ML Humbucking pick-ups in the malibu ( Tele-gib) just didn't do much for me, and as a result I sold the guitar.
Clearly my loyalty, history and respect for the brand is evident, the Malibu is a fine guitar by any standards.

Matts care and attention to detail with regards to his pick-up R&D is most inspiring,   bowdown: and I have a set in another brand where the pick-ups up came up short.

Here's the Malibu i had-As you can see by the pictures, it was a real beauty, (although it did lack coil tap option) and I was sad that ( for me) it could;t find a place in regular rotation with the other guitars. I would be inclined to lean towards a Forum Baker T or what ever they call it now, or will call it, if/when it goes into production again.

just my 32 & 1/2 cents....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2017, 05:28:01 AM »

Point well taken - no guitar can do it all, and those that try to be all things to all people usually please none.

For example, some folks think a PRS captures both Strat and LP tones, but it really doesn't sound like either.  I suspect that's true of the Malibu. I have a Warmoth Strat (Ash body, Maple neck) set up with two humbuckers - it doesn't sound like either a Strat or LP either - and it has a certain sonic palette that works great for overdriven tones, but I find it more limited when used for clean tones.

Crocefan4life

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »

Reverb has a butterscotch blonde Larrivee Bakersfield listed.

I want one so badly.

But it's a new seller that joined Oct 2017 and has no feedback. Even worse he's not in the US.

Can't risk a transaction for that much $$$.  I just have to pray a legit seller lists one.

Is there a way to save a Reverb search and get email when a listing is posted?

Somebody in this country will eventually list a Bakersfield again. It may be ten years from now, but it will happen.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2017, 02:30:53 PM »

I've been following this with interest but, actually, my two Larrivee electrics (RS-4 and LT-1) and my excellent 1994 Strat are pretty much all the solid body electrics I'll ever need. Now some kind of hollow body ....
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2017, 06:13:45 PM »

I highly recommend this as an option.

I've installed ML Gen 3 pups.
 lovely guitar.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2017, 07:55:09 PM »

I highly recommend this as an option.

I've installed ML Gen 3 pups.
 lovely guitar.

Lovely guitar, indeed.  Gorgeous, stately, classic.

I'll say it again - I wish Godin made that model as a lefty.  I'd have one... or two if they offered it in different finishes.

dlsteel

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 03:29:43 PM »

heres one of my larrivees
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 09:17:53 PM »

Nice one, Dan!

Got any lefty Bakersfield/Malibu bodies lying around? - you could make me something similar... drool

dlsteel

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »

Nice one, Dan!

Got any lefty Bakersfield/Malibu bodies lying around? - you could make me something similar... drool
I just may have a few. I'll look. No JCL humbuckers however
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: