Larrivee Electrics ... again?

Started by Mikeymac, July 26, 2017, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Someone (markj?) mentioned in a post on the main forum that someone from Larrivee said at Summer NAMM that they're going to start making electrics again. Any more news on this? Any reasonable rumors? Walkerman - have you seen anything at Oxnard lately?

Inquiring minds want to know. I'm really not interested in any more electric guitars - BUT - if Larrivee were to start building again, I would be - especially that double humbucker tele style (the Malibu)... OR the older, more pointy Strat style (which I'm sure they won't do again...).

:?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I was told Matthew wants to start up the Bakersfield again. No mention  of other electrics, tho.

I wasn't told not to tell, so .... that's the word I've heard.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Quote from: tulk1 on July 28, 2017, 10:04:08 PM
I was told Matthew wants to start up the Bakersfield again. No mention  of other electrics, tho.

I wasn't told not to tell, so .... that's the word I've heard.

Bakersfield - as in with the standard Tele bridge and pups? I made the mistake of selling mine (I believe mine was the first lefty they made); wouldn't mind having another one...

...but would also like to see the HxH pup "Jeff Beck/SD/Malibu" version... 

They will not be called Bakersfields though .... copyright matter.  Baker-T

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 29, 2017, 11:36:29 AM
Bakersfield - as in with the standard Tele bridge and pups? I made the mistake of selling mine (I believe mine was the first lefty they made); wouldn't mind having another one...

...but would also like to see the HxH pup "Jeff Beck/SD/Malibu" version... 

At the Vancouver Guitar festival, Matthew was not clear which version, he just said a Tele-style would be coming back. I guess either Matthew will chime in or we will be left to guess, and GAS.
OM-01

Quote from: Strings4Him on August 28, 2017, 06:52:32 PM
So no RS-4s?

I suspect at the price point they'd have to compete at with a set-neck electric, it's just to hard to get someone to buy a Larrivee instead of a Gibson or Collings or even a Gretsch.

Having owned a few Gibson's and Gretsch's and having played a couple of Collings the RS4 very much has its own tonal responce what players need to do is listen to them.Matthew's pickup's have there own tone they don't get muddy in the mids like the others.Wish I played more electric music because I'd own one.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on August 28, 2017, 11:01:49 PM
Having owned a few Gibson's and Gretsch's and having played a couple of Collings the RS4 very much has its own tonal responce what players need to do is listen to them.Matthew's pickup's have there own tone they don't get muddy in the mids like the others.Wish I played more electric music because I'd own one.

I agree, Rob. Between Matthew's very clear, low powered pickups and the longer 25.5" scale length, it has a more balanced, less muddy (or thick, if you prefer) tone than a Les Paul. Very versatile, because you can still get humbucker/hog growl by backing off on the tone controls.

However, play it next to a Strat-style with a maple neck loaded with humbuckers, and it doesn't sound quite like one of those either - then the hog body/set-neck really comes into play and you see (hear) how that's impacting the tone.

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 30, 2017, 06:04:15 PM
I agree, Rob. Between Matthew's very clear, low powered pickups and the longer 25.5" scale length, it has a more balanced, less muddy (or thick, if you prefer) tone than a Les Paul. Very versatile, because you can still get humbucker/hog growl by backing off on the tone controls.

However, play it next to a Strat-style with a maple neck loaded with humbuckers, and it doesn't sound quite like one of those either - then the hog body/set-neck really comes into play and you see (hear) how that's impacting the tone.

Right on the mark Rev!    :+1:
George

God!!!! I hope they will re-manufacture the 80's models, RS2-CM with Floyd Rose, neck thru, 24 frets

:cop: NO FLOYD  :cop:

The best system was the Kahler Spider but I think Floyds bought them and the spider disappeared.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 28, 2017, 08:48:34 PM
I suspect at the price point they'd have to compete at with a set-neck electric, it's just to hard to get someone to buy a Larrivee instead of a Gibson or Collings or even a Gretsch.

It is not so difficult. There are many people who want to buy a larrivee, models from the 80's. Included me.
I'm dying to buy an RS2-CM. But friend Jean refuses

Quote from: norum on October 24, 2017, 08:50:21 AM

It is not so difficult. There are many people who want to buy a larrivee, models from the 80's. Included me.
I'm dying to buy an RS2-CM. But friend Jean refuses
dont hold yer breath

Buy a modern RS-4 and your electric itch will be scratched.

Quote from: Strings4Him on October 24, 2017, 09:51:02 AM
Buy a modern RS-4 and your electric itch will be scratched.

For tastes. I have 2 Larrivee of the 80s and they sound great, but I do not find a rs2cm, which is what I want

On theQT, I saw a rack full of electric bodies ... old newstock .... at Yarnell Place.  Mostly Malibu bodies ..... I would think if anyone wants an electric, and has an "in" with their local dealer, they might be able to get the electric of their dreams made.  Don't know this for a fact, but I know they are working on finishing the bodies one-by-one as time permits, wiring etc. if you have a hankering for something special, it might be worth contacting you dealer, or John Jr. directly.

Thanks for that heads up. I'm gonna have to contact John Jr. or Matthew to see if there are any lefties (and a lefty neck to go with it...)  :bowdown:  :rolleye:

Hmmmmm maybe a Forum Malibu :?

Any interest  :? I think if we got 10 definites whom didn't need the guitar yesterday that might get Larrivée's attention/interest.

Should I start a Forum V1 thread  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 14, 2017, 12:44:09 PM
Hmmmmm maybe a Forum Malibu :?

Any interest  :? I think if we got 10 definites whom didn't need the guitar yesterday that might get Larrivée's attention/interest.

Should I start a Forum V1 thread  :?

Interested... but maybe more in the used market price range.  What neck profile does the Malibu / Baker T use?  Same as the RS or more fender like?  I still think I like the profile on my G&L ASAT more than the wider C of the RS-2. 

But a Malibu with a coil tap would be pretty versatile. 
L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers