Larrivee Canada 150th D-03

Started by willynelson13, July 19, 2017, 06:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just saw this on their website today. Looks nice with the koa accents.  :whistling:

Larrivee Guitars

OM-01

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Very nice - I like the koa binding on the neck and body much better than maple. I think my favorite details are the koa inlay around the soundhole and the maple leaf inlays on the bridge - very classy. Would love to see this on a L-body...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 20, 2017, 09:48:20 AM
Would love to see this on a L-body...

My internets research has found an OM-E body, so it does not seem out of the realm of possibilities that there would be an L body made as well. So far we have a D, OM... I am guessing they have made most body styles as a 150th edition?  Hopefully some Lefties as well. :nanadance
OM-01

"Available only in Canada"

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on July 20, 2017, 01:48:43 PM

"Available only in Canada"

No problem - I'm not in the market for something like this right now. Nice guitar though, for those up north!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Wow what a nice looking guitar. Particularly like the clean looking Koa binding particularly on the fret board, and the heel cap too.
The Maple leaf inlays are always special - especially on a Larrivee....
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Jean spoke about this run a couple months ago while at the group of Seven guitar show.

curious of them choosing Koa binding over maple, after all the maple is our home and native tree.

the leaf thing in the middle of our flag? thats a Maole leaf
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on August 08, 2017, 10:14:17 AM

curious of them choosing Koa binding over maple, after all the maple is of home and native tree.

I too wondered about the choice of Koa over Maple
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

This is an amazingly wonderful looking guitar.  I want one, but I only have room for one 150th Canadian Anniversary Guitar. I have a 150th anniversary guitar in the works from John McQuarrie (Northwood) due this month.  Its an 00-12 fret slot head custom made in Canada from all Canadian woods and materials to a design that traces its origins back 150 years.  John McQuarrie was great to work with in its design.  I will share more when I pick it up from John this month.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

I would love to get those maple leaf inlays on my Hunt For Spruce L03 R
Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ

ya, them thangs are real sweet, homerun

A few of us older Canadians may remember the Res Rose tea commercials in the 1970s. "Only in Canada?  Pity"

Seriously though I wish these were available in the US for us Canadian expats

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on August 08, 2017, 10:21:41 AM

Well, there are the maple leaf inlays.  Down the road, folks will be happy to have some koa.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on August 08, 2017, 10:21:41 AM

The concept was to give Canada a birthday present, not an all Canadian made guitar. Every 03 already has maple as standard, so what would be special about it? Then where do you stop? Maple back and sides... maple fingerboard? KOA is something special and is usually a decent $$ upgrade. The KOA details and inlays were included at no extra charge. If you look closely at the MSRP, this is an incredible bang for you buck. Happy 150th Birthday Canada!

jr

Quote from: J M Larrivée on November 01, 2017, 10:01:00 AM

The concept was to give Canada a birthday present, not an all Canadian made guitar. Every 03 already has maple as standard, so what would be special about it? Then where do you stop? Maple back and sides... maple fingerboard? KOA is something special and is usually a decent $$ upgrade. The KOA details and inlays were included at no extra charge. If you look closely at the MSRP, this is an incredible bang for you buck. Happy 150th Birthday Canada!

jr
Sorry Jr the use of Koa is lost on me for a Canada 150th Commemorative - give Canada a Birthday present - what does that mean  :?

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 20, 2017, 09:48:20 AM
Very nice - I like the koa binding on the neck and body much better than maple. I think my favorite details are the koa inlay around the soundhole and the maple leaf inlays on the bridge - very classy. Would love to see this on a L-body...

I had a chance to play one yesterday.  I loved the koa binding on the body and the koa heel cap.  However, I did not like the koa binding as much on the neck.  It was too similar to the colour of the mahogany neck for my taste.  Admittedly, I do like the contrast of the maple binding provides.  It was a very beautiful guitar!!

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 01, 2017, 12:47:59 PM
Sorry Jr the use of Koa is lost on me for a Canada 150th Commemorative - give Canada a Birthday present - what does that mean  :?

I think he means a commemorative guitar (maple leaf inlays) for Canadians.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 01, 2017, 12:47:59 PM
Sorry Jr the use of Koa is lost on me for a Canada 150th Commemorative - give Canada a Birthday present - what does that mean  :?

Your argument would require that the entire guitar be made from Canadian woods.  Why draw the line at the binding wood then?  What about the mahogany back and sides?  What about the ebony bridge and the fingerboard?  The fact that they have the maple leaf fingerboard and bridge inlays identify them as Canada 150 models and distinguish them from any other models.  I think it's a very thoughtful way of contributing to our 150th anniversary celebration.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: tom1 on November 01, 2017, 02:20:08 PM
I had a chance to play one yesterday.  I loved the koa binding on the body and the koa heel cap.  However, I did not like the koa binding as much on the neck.  It was too similar to the colour of the mahogany neck for my taste.  Admittedly, I do like the contrast of the maple binding provides.  It was a very beautiful guitar!!

How did it sound?  Anything you can compare it to?