Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NGD at Guitar Tex for a new Larrivee owner  (Read 418 times)
mike in lytle

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2017, 08:13:02 PM »

Got to watch a guy get introduced to Larrivee yesterday at Guitar Tex. It was cool to be there when it happened. I came to get strings and play resonators, and I was playing a reso back by the Larrivees and Gus comes back to introduce the guy to Larrivees by way of the OM-03 with Indian laurel b&s and the cool headstock inlay. Guy starts to play, stops and says "this is really nice". Said he knew really nothing about Larrivees, being a Martin guy. After a few minutes he gets up and hands the OM back to Gus so I asked Gus to hand the guitar to me to try out.... very, very nice guitar. After a few minutes the guy comes back so I handed the OM back to him and got the strings I needed.

When I was up front paying Gus was getting a Larrivee case and putting the OM in it and I asked the guy if he was buying it and yes, he was. I congratulated him and shook his hand. The store was pretty busy so we didn't talk very much. He did mention he liked going to jams in Luckenbach. I didn't get to mention the forum, but maybe he will find it.

I had also wanted to play the L-40R with moonwood top, but Mark told me they sold it immediately, the L-40M and L-40R were also gone. For the first time I had ever seen, Guitar Tex had no L-bodies in the store.

Mike
markj

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »

Very cool!  I have turned a few heads and said a few things to prospects about the greatness that is a Larrive Guitar, at my local dealer on occasion, but I'm not sure I had a hand in selling any.
mattwood

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:42:06 PM »

Great story Mike.  I've been meaning to get by there on my next trip to SA to try the L-40 series but it looks like most of their Larrivee stock on the website is gone.  The word on Larrivee must be spreading here in Texas!
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 09:31:29 PM »

Haven't seen any L-40 models. Now I'll be looking for one.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 12:47:30 AM »

Haven't seen any L-40 models. Now I'll be looking for one.
Danny,
I think you should. It would be a very cool endeavor.
Fortunately, I have the "newer" 1998 C-05 and played it a lot after after the Guitar Tex visit yesterday, which relieves me of a lot of anxiety.
I do NOT need any more Larrivee 6 string guitars.
Mike
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:07:11 AM »

Oh yeah, I guess it is worth mentioning I have not yet played a new Larrivee OM or smaller model that I have liked. I do like the L-bodies and the D-models.
But this OM was different. The sound was "tighter" than an L-body, but it was very satisfying. I liked it a lot. Maybe it was the laurel.....
The guy who bought it also played a parlor Larrivee, I did not notice if it was mahogany or rosewood, but  he was favorably impressed by it.
He played it well.
Mike
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 04:24:05 PM »

Danny,
I think you should. It would be a very cool endeavor.
Fortunately, I have the "newer" 1998 C-05 and played it a lot after after the Guitar Tex visit yesterday, which relieves me of a lot of anxiety.
I do NOT need any more Larrivee 6 string guitars.
Mike
I will keep my eyes open for a L-40. Rosewood would be best for me.
    My first Larrivee was a LV-03R and the second was a D-09e. Of those two I've always regretted letting the LV go. But both went to friends that still have them today.

I've had other Larrivee dreads and LSV-11 models, but my shoulder got out of wack and I began the search for smaller models, that still sounded full and rich in tone. I have to think hard to remember the models and how many I actually bought, sold and traded. It was a lot.
     The forum III, LS-03 IS/MH 12 Fret has been "the one" that really clicked with me. But since the Forum III build I also started the Forum IV build. I liked it a lot. Someone offered to buy it though and having so many other guitars I let it go.
      Then my shoulder got better. So now I can play dreads, like my old D-02 and others I have. But I don't have an L model, other than my LS
So I'll be looking.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: