Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grover Sta-Tite open back tuning machines  (Read 472 times)
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2017, 02:44:43 PM »

These came up for sale recently at Stew Mac and I jumped on them. I'd always wanted to upgrade from the Pings on my OM-03R and finally after 11 years one threw a bushing and locked up. Sadly, it happened during a weekend getaway in my favorite lakeside playing environment so I'm pretty bummed because I'm unable to tune my guitar and bask in my guitar's glorious tone. IIRC they are drop in replacements if using the provided bushings. No?

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »

I installed a set on a lap steel work great but yes you will need to find a larger bushing to fit the original tuner opening's.If you order thru stew-mac call them they should have a bushing that will work.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:56:32 PM »

Make the change you'll be glad you did amd as Uncle says Stew-Mac will assist in getting the proper bushings

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »

My OO-40R came with Grover Sta-Tites. Very nice tuners.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 08:05:40 AM »

I installed a set on a lap steel work great but yes you will need to find a larger bushing to fit the original tuner opening's.If you order thru stew-mac call them they should have a bushing that will work.

Thanks, Rob. I'll peruse Stew Mac and order those bushings. I was intending on installing them on my third build though. It turns out that the problem was actually a cracked "ebonite" knob, though I haven't swapped in another knob to see if the machine mechanism is junked or not. I could just as easily order up a replacement set of buttons or swap in the old chrome ones though.

PS: I haven't been here in awhile and wonder when you lost your shoes? Did the shop down there in Florida get flooded out in a hurricane? FWIW it's been a really wet summer up here too but I'm currently without my tools on a getaway in West Virginia where shoes are optional. You need to get yerself a pair of good sandals like any good sage such as you would wear.  I wish I'd brought my Air Jesuses. ;0)

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1989 Kramer 610

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »

More then likely the tuner is still good.

I lost my shoe's sometime in my youth maybe age 13 or 14.My shop is safe the only weather issue's is the heat and humidity.I haven't been at the store since 2006 I work out of my home now so wearing shoe's isn't done at home.I use to wear flipflops but stopped when I riped my foot open got 48 stiches seems tha wearing shoes keeps my feet from knowing whats in my way.That time it was a bed frame.Isn't sage used for cooking,I like love cooking.Making jersey joe's tonite for diner.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »

LOL. Yeah, the machine works just fine. I just need to find the original chrome buttons. In the meantime, I also happened to have some midsize Gotoh chrome 510s earmarked for my second build that were straight drop ins. I don't know if I will go back to the slings.

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1989 Kramer 610

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: