1982 L-09 Fret Buzzing and the Existence of a Truss Rod?

Started by Jessbassdad, July 11, 2017, 12:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey All,

I recently took ownership of a 1982 L-09 with the JCL inlay headstock.  Beautiful guitar, sounds fantastic.  I love it.  However, I do get some fret buzz on the high E from about the 8th fret to the 15th fret. The action on this guitar is low, and the saddle is low too.  I believe that the neck angle is fine and the neck does not need resetting (fingers crossed).

I figure the way to address this is by increasing the neck relief by the 1/8 or 1/4 turn of the truss rod.  The problem is, I'm not sure that this guitar has a truss rod.  At this point I haven't taken off the strings for closer inspection so I can't tell by visual means or by reaching in with my fingers.

So 1982-era L-09 JCL owners... is there a truss rod in this guitar?

It should be noted that this guitar moved from a dry climate to a pretty moist one in my Northern Virginia home.  The indoor humidity has consistently been around 60% since the guitar arrived a mere five days ago.

I am open to other suggestions for a solution if there indeed is no truss rod on this beautiful instrument.

Thanks
Jess

I wouldn't make any changes to the guitar for at least a month. Give it time to acclimate to the new RH. If what you say is true, the buzz will soon go away. Higher RH will cause the top to swell outward and lift the bridge up, making the action higher.
As for the truss rod, find a small mirror from a makeup compact and stick it onto a one foot section of 12-2 house wiring to make a flexible viewer.
Nice guitar Jess. Show it off with some pictures
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

There is not an adjustable truss rod in the guitar.As a tech the first thing I'd do is inspect the frets for a re-leveling and re-crown.If the action is too low put a new taller saddle in and slowly adjust it down until its were you like it.As always if I can help please feel free to PM,email or even call me,always happy to help. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on July 11, 2017, 03:46:55 PM

There is not an adjustable truss rod in the guitar.

In a recent thread here (which I can't find at the moment  :angry: ) John Larrivee, Jr. confirmed that Larrivee started using adjustable truss rods in 1984.

:gotpics:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992