Perspective adjustment

Started by webberink, July 11, 2017, 12:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So we are hard pressed by massive interface forest fires just now.  in the sparsely populated Cariboo region of BC (Canada) all around us over 14,000 people have been evacuated and many more folks like us are on evacuation alert and ready to evacuate at a moment's notice.  It kind of makes for a massive perspective adjustment making much discussion about many things seem ... well I think you probably get my drift.  So I have to choose what to take out of our wonderful home on the lake in the forest and load into our trailer.  What guitar should I take, if any at all??
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Its a trailer.take them all plus all legal doc's,family pix,pets,all else can be replaced.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

That's tough, webberink.
Best wishes that you and your family and all of your earthly possessions survive the inferno, man.   :wave

Quote from: webberink on July 11, 2017, 12:02:51 PM
So we are hard pressed by massive interface forest fires just now.  in the sparsely populated Cariboo region of BC (Canada) all around us over 14,000 people have been evacuated and many more folks like us are on evacuation alert and ready to evacuate at a moment's notice.  It kind of makes for a massive perspective adjustment making much discussion about many things seem ... well I think you probably get my drift.  So I have to choose what to take out of our wonderful home on the lake in the forest and load into our trailer.  What guitar should I take, if any at all??
Dave

Man, that is a tough one Dave.  If it were me, I would take the Northwood's, the Morgan's and my most prized Larrivee's.  I certainly hope you get through it all unscathed, nothing is more precious than Life itself...
George

Quote from: George on July 11, 2017, 01:27:04 PM
Man, that is a tough one Dave.  If it were me, I would take the Northwood's, the Morgan's and my most prized Larrivee's.  I certainly hope you get through it all unscathed, nothing is more precious than Life itself...

+1

Good luck, and be safe!
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Good grief! I would never expect wildfire in that region.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: webberink on July 11, 2017, 12:02:51 PM
Dave

Firstly, things which cannot be replaced.  After that, it is yours to prioritize.

Thoughts and prayers are with you!
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Yes we get fires but never before as bad as this in our area.  We are still in our home and waiting this thing out on evacuation alert, thank God.  There are 14,000 people out of their homes on evacuation order so far.  All local roads are closed and all hospitals and care facilities have been evacuated.  Just to the north of us are two out of control forest fires at 2500 hectares (6200 acres) each, just to the south there is one that is 5200 hectares (12,400 acres) and just to the west of us there is one at 10,000 hectares (25,000 acres).  There are several others in the immediate area but these are the worst.  Singing is definitely not an option due to the smoke.  In one local community yesterday the air quality index was measured at 35 on a scale of 1-10.  I am not sure what to make of this, but the air sure is filled with smoke and fly ash.  We could use your prayers.  Had the guitars out last night though, working on my solo licks, my version of Nero fiddling.
Dave

Prayers sent from Africa Dave... We have recently (4 weeks ago) witnessed some of the worst bush fires in the surrounding area of Knysna, South Africa. Many folks lost everything....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/08/world/africa/south-africa-fire-knysna.html
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Praying for peace and wisdom.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Hoping that the weather and firefighters have some luck and people don't lose their homes or lives in the terrible fires. Good luck to you and your fellow British Columbians.
2003 Larrivee L-10 QM
1942 Gretsch Synchromatic 200
1956 Fender Stratocaster
1956 Gretsch Duojet
1960 Arnold Hoyer
1963 Fender Telecaster
1965 Fender Telecaster
1973 Dobro
2000 Gretsch G3303 Hawaiian
2001 Gretsch Bo Diddley Electromatic
2005 Gretsch 5125 (custom red sparkle)
2007 Gretsch 6120 RHH
2014 Cole Clark Angel 3 Redwood

Dave,

We had close friends lose their home near Chelan Washington 2 years ago from wildfire.  They are in their early 80's and still putting their lives back together.  They had "Go Bags" at the ready including financial and insurance records, account and phone numbers, pictures, and personal items.  They lost absolutely everything in the fire.  Vehicles and tractors were scrap metal.  When you drive to their old ranch all you see above the rubble is the chimney.  I helped them sift through the ashes and we found some old melted silver dollars and that was about it.  I also spent a couple of weeks readying their new home to accommodate them.  To them it was personal items and mementos that were most important.   

I feel for anyone going through this as they indicated it was such a helpless feeling watching the fires progress.  Fortunately their family has rallied around them.  Seeing all this first hand really brought it home to me how devastating it can be.  I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Steve ....aka the SMan

Thanks so much for all of your comments, thoughts and prayers. Today is a better weather day and hence a better fire day.  We have been able to stay in our home so far.  Still no sign of rain for days ahead though .  The weekend is threatening more wind and dry lightening.  SMan, your story regarding your elderly close friends particularly  heartened me.  If we get through stuff like this, we do it together in community.  And then we get out the guitar and write songs.  Good art always seems to be forged in the fires of adversity.
Dave

Well we made it through the weekend.  Saturday there was a cold front that came through the Cariboo driving wind gusts to 70 km/hr.  The result was crazy fire behaviour and huge fire growth.  To our south there is one fire now at 52,000 hectares (129,000 acres), one to the west of us at 98,000  hectares (249,000 acres), and to the north of us one at 13,000 hectares (32,000 acres).  There are several others between 5,000-10,000 hectares.  There are now over 40,000 people evacuated and that includes all of the cities of 100Mile House and Williams Lake.  We are still in our home, but just.  The evacuation order border is about 1km to the north of us.  So, we are praising God and sitting on tenterhooks.  The smoke and fly ash around our place is incredible but we are getting by.  The only thing that will really solve this situation is the weather and we know who is in charge of that.  We feel kind of like the Israelites must have felt sitting on the banks of the Red Sea looking at the threat rolling toward them and looking at the Red Sea and knowing the only one who could solve the dilemma was their God. I am no Moses but I did go stand on the hill behind our cottage and raise my hands and pray.  So far the waters have parted for us.  There is nothing to do but play my guitar.  Kind of makes me feel like Nero

My thoughts and hopes are with you. Good luck from Australia.
Guild D55 (1974) Rosewood and Spruce.
Larrivee O-01 (2003) Maple Special Edition. Quilted Maple and Cedar top.
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition. Rosewood and Spruce
Larrivee L05 (1996) Customised. Mahogany and Cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) Rosewood and Spruce
Marshall AC50D
Concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and autoharps

May the one who hides Himself guard you thru this difficult time.