Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Steel.....and open E (or D) tuning  (Read 316 times)
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2017, 11:01:17 AM »

This thing hasn't got enough use. Going to give it a go again. On one hand it seems to like open E tuning or Open D (same thing just tuned down a whole step) but on the other I'm not particularly fond of open E. Where open G has familiar shapes to build off of on the middle strings, open E to me really mixes it up. But I think I'll give it a go again starting out really simple. It's just another thing that requires time. The guitar sure cuts thru though, and this is just with bare fingers.   (background noise is crickets and frogs by the way, I wish it sounded like crickets and frogs but it just sounds like noise)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRhRjC31Z1E&feature=player_embedded

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 03:42:04 PM »

Sounds really good,thanks.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 12:20:19 AM »

Nothin wrong with that! Sounds great! I tend to gravitate to open G, I've just got a bigger repertoire in that tuning. But open D had got that lowdown haunting tone....

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.
Dr.Z Mini Z. incoming.....

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 12:33:06 AM »

Nothin wrong with that! Sounds great! I tend to gravitate to open G, I've just got a bigger repertoire in that tuning. But open D had got that lowdown haunting tone....

Cheers, Scott.
What I do when we gig and I'm playing round neck Dobra is tune to open G..... D-G-D-G-B-D Then for stuff in key of D I just tune the 5th string up to A for D-A-D-G-B-E  aka Double dropped D. So by changing one string I'm in familiar tuning and the slide licks are still the same, just in another spot on neck. And there's cool stuff to do with the open D chord too while vamping. The great douple dropped D bass runs are there too. Then I capo to second fret to get A and D keys. Works great. Check it out if you haven't.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: