Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound of mahogany topped OM or 000?  (Read 396 times)
rbpicker

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2017, 03:01:59 AM »

Can members who own, or have played, one of these models chime in and let me know what to expect tone-wise from these models? Thanks in advance.

Roger, I remember yours, but can't recall the tonal characteristics of it.  We need to do more music again soon.

Roger
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:17:09 AM »

Mahogany has less overtones or natural reverb but an enhanced performance in the mid frequencies. That makes for a clearer fundamental note and better note-to note and string-to-string separation.
For that reason flat-pickers generally prefer using them. Generally also a great option for recording and for amplifying in live or stage application.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »

Mahogany, Cedar and even Walnut topped guitars produce somewhat similar tone results in a very general sense.  Every guitar is different.  Overall, they are more mellow, would be the term I would use.  These tops are all excellent at not overwhelming the vocal so much for performers that play and sing.  Some bright tops sit right on top of the vocal tonally and make it more difficult to distinguish.  I like these tops for recording.

George
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 07:18:07 PM »

To me, it sounds mellow, unless you use a pick or fingernails, and then it sounds blue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: