D-02 or D-03?

Started by Danny, June 30, 2017, 03:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My old Larrivee D-02 has white binding on the neck.
Does that mean it is a D-03?

They all had white binding on the neck,check the serial number.Looks nice either way and well an 02 or 03 they were both great guitars.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on June 30, 2017, 07:45:38 PM
They all had white binding on the neck,check the serial number.Looks nice either way and well an 02 or 03 they were both great guitars.
I was looking at several D-02 models from the late 90's and everyone had black neck binding.
    That's why I'm asking the question.

Have you tried putting the S/N thru the lookup link on the Larrivee site?  It usually comes back with the manufacture date, model # and other info. 

It is whatever they decided to call it...  lol!

Ed

I've never used the look up. I'll try that I guess.
If this is a D-02 it makes me wonder what the difference was back then that would make it a D-03.
   This one really looks like real mahogany,  not sapele or kahya.

Can you give us a close up of the binding, say where the neck meets the body so I can see both the neck and body binding?

Looks like an -03 to me.  I remember all of the -03s of that era having white neck binding, black body binding and white/black purfling.  The -02s were reversed.

Quote from: AZLiberty on July 01, 2017, 03:25:05 AM
Can you give us a close up of the binding, say where the neck meets the body so I can see both the neck and body binding?

Looks like an -03 to me.  I remember all of the -03s of that era having white neck binding, black body binding and white/black purfling.  The -02s were reversed.
I will try and post the pic. But it doesn't appear to have any purfling. Just the edge of the black binding.

I did the serial # lookup and it says it's a 2000 D-02.

edit: I reread the Larrivee lookup wording, and it does not say this was a rosewood model.

Like other Larrivee models, the 02 series have gone through several changes over the years, which can be confusing.

They've had 3 piece necks (separate heel piece and scarfed headstock); the newest ones (I believe) went back to one-piece necks.

They went from bound ebony fingerboards to non-bound ebony, then rosewood boards and bridges on the most recent ones (before they were discontinued - at least, they're no longer listed on the website).

I think they were mahogany, then sapelle, then back to mahogany. I don't believe there have ever been any "02R" or rosewood b & s 02's (but I could be wrong...).

These are general observations (and my rather hazy recollections) of just some of the changes the 02 series has been through. But the same could be said of all the Larrivee series.

:thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 01, 2017, 01:58:40 PM
Like other Larrivee models, the 02 series have gone through several changes over the years, which can be confusing.

They've had 3 piece necks (separate heel piece and scarfed headstock); the newest ones (I believe) went back to one-piece necks.

They went from bound ebony fingerboards to non-bound ebony, then rosewood boards and bridges on the most recent ones (before they were discontinued - at least, they're no longer listed on the website).

I think they were mahogany, then sapelle, then back to mahogany. I don't believe there have ever been any "02R" or rosewood b & s 02's (but I could be wrong...).

These are general observations (and my rather hazy recollections) of just some of the changes the 02 series has been through. But the same could be said of all the Larrivee series.

:thumb
mine is a 2000 model. I really like it a lot, and other players like it. It has a warm, full tone and is so easy to play. The neck is very thin and your hand just glides on it.

Quote from: Danny on July 01, 2017, 11:57:42 AM
I will try and post the pic. But it doesn't appear to have any purfling. Just the edge of the black binding.

I did the serial # lookup and it says it's a 2000 D-02.

Given the lack of purfling I will go with -02.   (as others have mentioned ALL the models have gone through various iterations over the years.

One of my 1998 built 03 series

Quote from: AZLiberty on July 04, 2017, 04:51:57 PM
Given the lack of purfling I will go with -02.   (as others have mentioned ALL the models have gone through various iterations over the years.

One of my 1998 built 03 series

Thanks for the information and the picture. It doesn't bother me in the least that mine is a 02 series. The mahogany is very nice and it's my favorite dread to play. I do have another more valuable dread, but I like this one better.

Two nice looking guitars.

Larrivee does a nice job on choosing the wood used for their guitars.