Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washington Post - Slow Death of the Electric Guitar & why you should care  (Read 1239 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 11:43:21 PM »

It might just be time for electric guitars to lose favor...  they had a long run.  Some of the new dj gear and controller surfaces are pretty cool, and what these youngsters do with them is pretty well done and innovative.

As far as new music?  That I'm not especially fond of it is part of a he point, I think...  just like the blaring guitars of my generation being very different than the music of a generation or two before me.  That loud thumpty thump might just be the kids way of saying sit down and shut up old man.  That I get it, or like it has nothing to do with an artist producing their art.

Ed
Well said. The solo of any kind, guitar or keyboard or sax or even drums is going e these days. But there are great sounds coming from kids on electric guitars. Colony House is one. Vulfpeck is a current fave of mine even though their fan base is mostly 30 years younger than me. Some great funk there. If you like instrumental funk, go listen.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »

Well seeing as the Larrivee's mentioned at the Vancouver guitar festival that they are going to start making electrics again this year, I don't think they feel the electric market is dying. That's all that matters to me. I started squirreling money away, and convincing my wife of my need of a Larrivee electric once I heard this at the festival.

More info needed about this! Spill the beans, man!

drool

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
markj

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 07:06:33 AM »

Being an old(er) guy and coming from a classical/progressive rock music background, I don't like most music produced in the last 100 years. I'm only 55 ffs! I was always the "outcast" in my youth. I was always looking for and listening for, musicality, composition integrity, musical talent when playing, actually writing, recording, and playing live, your own original music, etc. I found that lacking in most of the music that most people, "like". I don't "like" music. I "love" music. Music is akin to breathing for me. Without it, I would rather cease to exist.

I was purchasing some nice single malt tonight and some typical hip-hop was playing on the sound system in the store. A younger guy standing next to me was tapping and beat boxing to the music. He was enjoying it and hitting every beat, on time. I was enjoying that he was enjoying it.  It brought a smile to my face and a nod to him.  Isn't that what music should do? Bring a smile? Bring us together as a universal language of sorts?

It's all relative anyway. What I find appealing, most of you would probably not. I can find a host of things "wrong" with most genres of music but that doesn't mean that you will find anything wrong with that particular genre.  A "twangy country voice" will have me running for the hills, screaming in pain. While a somber melody, with haunting lyrics will put me at ease. A driving well thought out, poly-rhythmic prog-rock epic will also be well received by my brain.  That doesn't mean that I don't respect the musical talent of the musicians of any genre that stretches or even breaks the limit of what my brain can take.

So, yes, I don't like this and I don't like that. But I love music and I respect any person who takes it upon themselves, to make it, in whatever form their brain prefers.

Here is a very recent release that my brain likes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXuLgg6f9JI&ytbChannel=ingoo90

As far as the electric guitar dying? Hmmm, that's a stretch but I can definitely see some of the points made. There are no more electric guitar "heroes" ?  I think there are, but they have yet to be discovered or possibly, even born yet.

Larrivee is going to make electrics again?  Hmmm... I can feel the GAS pains. 

willynelson13

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »

More info needed about this! Spill the beans, man!

drool

Hey Mike I don't have too many details other than Jean and Matthew confirmed without a doubt, when directly asked if they would make electrics again. Matthew then revealed that it would be later this year, and they would start up with a "tele" style guitar. So I guess sometime in the next while we should see some new Bakersfields or Malibus. During his talk Jean was also praising all the amazing work Matthew was doing with pick up development. So perhaps we can expect a new generation of larrivee pups. Well that is all I have. I am just waiting for the official release and then choose my colour.

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 08:04:22 AM »

Being an old(er) guy and coming from a classical/progressive rock music background, I don't like most music produced in the last 100 years. I'm only 55 ffs! I was always the "outcast" in my youth. I was always looking for and listening for, musicality, composition integrity, musical talent when playing, actually writing, recording, and playing live, your own original music, etc. I found that lacking in most of the music that most people, "like". I don't "like" music. I "love" music. Music is akin to breathing for me. Without it, I would rather cease to exist.

I was purchasing some nice single malt tonight and some typical hip-hop was playing on the sound system in the store. A younger guy standing next to me was tapping and beat boxing to the music. He was enjoying it and hitting every beat, on time. I was enjoying that he was enjoying it.  It brought a smile to my face and a nod to him.  Isn't that what music should do? Bring a smile? Bring us together as a universal language of sorts?

It's all relative anyway. What I find appealing, most of you would probably not. I can find a host of things "wrong" with most genres of music but that doesn't mean that you will find anything wrong with that particular genre.  A "twangy country voice" will have me running for the hills, screaming in pain. While a somber melody, with haunting lyrics will put me at ease. A driving well thought out, poly-rhythmic prog-rock epic will also be well received by my brain.  That doesn't mean that I don't respect the musical talent of the musicians of any genre that stretches or even breaks the limit of what my brain can take.

So, yes, I don't like this and I don't like that. But I love music and I respect any person who takes it upon themselves, to make it, in whatever form their brain prefers.

Here is a very recent release that my brain likes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXuLgg6f9JI&ytbChannel=ingoo90

As far as the electric guitar dying? Hmmm, that's a stretch but I can definitely see some of the points made. There are no more electric guitar "heroes" ?  I think there are, but they have yet to be discovered or possibly, even born yet.

Larrivee is going to make electrics again?  Hmmm... I can feel the GAS pains. 

So, would you go home and play the hip hop music the guy in the store was digging on?  Doubtful.  Would you close your eyes and imagine him enjoying the music, and consider that as being your listening to music?  Doubtful.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 07:18:28 PM »

I don't know, maybe we should start a new thread for posting these examples?  I am posting this link here because I believe it clearly brings home the point that some of us have made that "All is not Yet Lost" with youth and music despite the downturns in the industry.  Please take a look, I am not a fan of this show, but I believe they found a miracle of determination in this Totally Deaf musician...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKSWXzAnVe0

George
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: