Soliciting Expert Opinions re: Value of my Pre-Owned Larrivee C10

Started by Earzona, June 29, 2017, 04:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi All. I purchased a beautiful Larrivee C10 new in 1992. Sitka Top, Crazy Flame Maple Back & Sides, Flying Eagle Headstock Inlay. Due to an accident, I've lost my physical ability to play and now must consider selling my small collection. I'd appreciate any informed opinions as to the proper asking price for this piece. Its in fantastic shape for a 25 year old guitar--but it does have 3-4 minor finish imperfections--none conspicuous. Any ball park estimates would be much appreciated just to set a realistic valuation. Thanks very much! :nice guitar:

First of all, welcome to the Larrivee forum. Sorry to hear about your situation.

That's a sweet guitar and good clear detailed photos are required of course.

You are probably in the $1,200 - $1,500 range, maybe a bit higher if it is in excellent condition, and needing no repairs.

The used guitar market is flooded and not a good place for sellers these day. OTOH, it's great for the buyers.

In good times, that guitar should fetch over $2k. It's just not good times in the used guitar market for sellers.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Markj -  :+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

The headstock inlay an the flame maple back and sides, the cutaway ...  all carry a  premium price tag when you buy originally but don't seem to command top dollar down the road.   I am  sure your guitar with those features would be a great addition to anyone's collection.  Hope you and the person who eventually buys it both get a mutually satisfactory deal.  Sorry you have to liquidate your guitars.   

Hello Earzona, sorry about your misfortune.
I know you said it's in very good condition for 25 years use, but are the frets worn down, is the action good or is it in need of a reset, has it been properly humidified...all these things and more determine its value, as I'm sure you well know. If the guitar is tip top, it may bring high teens (1800+ -). Just my pennies.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: Earzona on June 29, 2017, 04:29:16 PM

Any ball park estimates would be much appreciated just to set a realistic valuation. Thanks very much! :nice guitar:

I'll echo the others: first, so sorry to hear you have to liquidate your precious guitars; how unfortunate.

Second, $1,200 - $1,500 also seems to me to be a realistic valuation.

If you can get $1,500, you will have done well in today's market (and because Larrivees, though they are wonderful guitars, don't say Martin, Gibson or Taylor on the headstock - it's just the reality we Larrivee owners have to live with - we're the Rodney Dangerfield of acoustic guitars!).

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: markj on June 29, 2017, 04:56:12 PM
First of all, welcome to the Larrivee forum. Sorry to hear about your situation.

That's a sweet guitar and good clear detailed photos are required of course.

You are probably in the $1,200 - $1,500 range, maybe a bit higher if it is in excellent condition, and needing no repairs.

The used guitar market is flooded and not a good place for sellers these day. OTOH, it's great for the buyers.

In good times, that guitar should fetch over $2k. It's just not good times in the used guitar market for sellers.

:+1:  Mark    I am going to keep them listed for what their value should be and just tough it out until the "good times" return...  Always the Optimist!
George

A thousand dollars plus below new seems a bit low in comparison to a new one, especially one in good condition. That guitar new would be $3000 +
It is what it is,,,a fine guitar with an excellent reputation.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies--much appreciated.
Happy Independence Weekend for all of you fellow Americans!

Quote from: George on June 30, 2017, 11:35:34 AM
:+1:  Mark    I am going to keep them listed for what their value should be and just tough it out until the "good times" return...  Always the Optimist!

If you need to sell them, don't wait around hoping the market will firm up.  It'll only get worse for the most part.  The acoustic guitar market doesn't follow the economy so much as it does music trends and generations of consumers.  The boomers are getting older and the kids are listening to less guitar driven music.  Keep it if you love it, otherwise, get a good price while you can.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.