Favorite non-Larrivee guitar

Started by Walkerman, June 27, 2017, 09:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever since I bought my first Larrivee, last February, I am having a hard time finding other guitars that I like as much. I mean I have gone and played some expensive Froggy Bottom, Goodall, Collings, Huss & Dalton, Martin, etc...  None of them made me want to get rid of my L-03 let alone my LV-10 50th. The 1977 L-35 I bought this year has me not playing my Cordoba C9 so it is for sale. It also brought me to my senses when I was about to buy an Esteve 8 Classical, "Hand Made in Spain" guitar. I still want a Spanish made classical. But I think I want a 12 string more. I am not really playing my L-03 much. The LV-10 with the EIR and Austrian "Moon" Spruce top has a much richer voice and the nut width fits my hand perfectly. The L-03 is a custom with a 1 11/16 nut. I have issues with it and i am going to be selling/trading it to help fund a 12 string. Once again, I will most likely count on Larrivee to deliver the goods sight unseen or heard.  I am thinking about an L or possibly LV,  09/10 12 string. I really like Rosewood.

So, I don't have a favorite non-Larrivee guitar at this time.  :cheers
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

I don't own my favorite non Larrivee, but I'm happy knowing it's got a good home. It's a McKnight OM-D (4.75" deep) dubbed "The Cigar" with wenge back and sides with a lutz/western red cedar double top. It's a close second to my OM-03R which Tim McKnight played a part in the acquisition as well as giving it a good setup.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Wow.

Really tough question and a good one.  Of the guitars in the stable, it's probably hands down the Morgan OM.  Action is superb, sound is great, she's a looker for the plain OM, but man that mahogany.  She plays great, too, and that OM size.  If you love Larrivees like I love Larrivees, then you owe it to yourself to tryout your favorite size and wood of a Morgan Guitar.But, the 1977 Guild D40 really, really sounds great plays very nice.  As their slogan boasts, "Guilds ... Made to be Played!"  I love that guitar and both guitars are suited for different types of music and both guitars are set up really nice.  As you can see from my signature I am partial to Guilds.  I love them.  Now, favorite guitars that I do not own and are not a Larrivee ... hmm ... I am a humble man of simple means ... so this list would include if I could afford anything ... a Martin D18, a Guild D55, and another Morgan.  I do not need any $4K-$5k guitar, not that I would not take one if it was given to me, but I am really not that material and kind of know what I want and realize that I am no Leo Kottke or Merle Travis or anything.  Just a Bino having fun.   :guitar :wave :wink:

Bino

Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnought D40 (2019)
Guild Maple Dreadnought D30 (2001)
Morgan OMM Mahogany OM (2003)
Morgan OMR Rosewood OM (2018)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L-05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnought D-03R (2011) For Sale
Andrew White Cybele 110 (2018)

Geeeze, photobucket really screwed this thread ... amongst others.

When not enjoying my 2 wonderful larrivee guitars, i like to breakout the very fun josh white ovation. Its a cannon!
Here is a link for more photos.  www.imgur.com/a/pri29
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

From one Ovation owner to another, that Josh White is very cool! What year is it?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 26, 2017, 07:06:07 PM
From one Ovation owner to another, that Josh White is very cool! What year is it?

Heya! Its very cool!  :)  pretty old for an ovation, Its a 1967 and from ovations second year of operation!
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
epi Thunderbird IV bass

Quote from: photodork on August 26, 2017, 08:32:05 PM
Heya! Its very cool!  :)  pretty old for an ovation, Its a 1967 and from ovations second year of operation!

That's a special guitar. How long have you had it?

Sort of makes me laugh in regard to Artist models, however. White died in 1969 and you'd be very, very hard pressed to find a picture of him with an Ovation. 

I have a cherry older Guild d25 that's fantastic,I also would really
Love a Martin d28
Taylor can make a good guitar too
David

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 27, 2017, 08:46:49 PM
That's a special guitar. How long have you had it?

Ive been lucky to have it for 3 and a half years.
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
epi Thunderbird IV bass

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 28, 2017, 02:00:30 PM
Sort of makes me laugh in regard to Artist models, however. White died in 1969 and you'd be very, very hard pressed to find a picture of him with an Ovation. 

There arent many photos of josh later in his life. He died about a year after his endorsement with ovation.  I dont know why his endorsment deal would make you laugh, but i suspect its ignorance of josh white and his importance during the 30's thru the 60's.

He was a legend during the time. He was the first black american to have an endorsement for guitar.  He was a close friend and confidant of president roosevelt and played at his and also pres lyndon johnson's inauguration. He was the first black popular music artist to have a national concert hall tour. He was the first back artist to give a commqnd performance at the white house in 1941. It was so good, he was invited back for 5 more command concerts. Jfk invited him to a tv special called dinner with the president where jfk said he listened to joshs records and how they inspired him.  He did broadway, films, radio and tv shows at home and internationally. For decades, he was one of the leading artists in blues, spiritual, protest, folk and negro music.  Ive only scratched the surface of how important, popular and influential this man was. 

1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
epi Thunderbird IV bass

That I own?  Guild Starfire III.  I bought it in 1975.

Ed

My newest one. Martin 00-18V

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

Beautiful, Scott - and I'm sure the tone is incredible!

Today in a shop I played a new design 000-18 and an 0-18 - loved the 000; the 0 just didn't have quite the right bass (but different strings might have helped). Made me think that the 00-18 might just be the Goldilocks guitar - "just right."

Quote from: markj on July 16, 2017, 02:26:30 AM
I am not really playing my L-03 much. The L-03 is a custom with a 1 11/16 nut. I have issues with it and i am going to be selling/trading it to help fund a 12 string. 

I have guitars custom made to get that 1 11/16" nut width, I have issues with the wider ones.  Is the L-03 a Rosewood?
George

Quote from: photodork on August 28, 2017, 05:28:49 PM
There arent many photos of josh later in his life. He died about a year after his endorsement with ovation.  I dont know why his endorsment deal would make you laugh, but i suspect its ignorance of josh white and his importance during the 30's thru the 60's.

He was a legend during the time. He was the first black american to have an endorsement for guitar.  He was a close friend and confidant of president roosevelt and played at his and also pres lyndon johnson's inauguration. He was the first black popular music artist to have a national concert hall tour. He was the first back artist to give a commqnd performance at the white house in 1941. It was so good, he was invited back for 5 more command concerts. Jfk invited him to a tv special called dinner with the president where jfk said he listened to joshs records and how they inspired him.  He did broadway, films, radio and tv shows at home and internationally. For decades, he was one of the leading artists in blues, spiritual, protest, folk and negro music.  Ive only scratched the surface of how important, popular and influential this man was.  

So you totally missed my point. Nothing against either White or Ovations, I merely said that if he actually played one, you'd be hard pressed to prove it. Wow you found a photo! How far down did you have to scroll?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Josh+White&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdiYbVpIDWAhVSJlAKHckfBrcQ_AUICigB

Thanks for trying to teach me how to suck eggs, however. I always appreciate having my ignorance cured by my superiors.   :cheers

Quote from: photodork on August 28, 2017, 05:28:49 PM
There arent many photos of josh later in his life. He died about a year after his endorsement with ovation.  I dont know why his endorsment deal would make you laugh, but i suspect its ignorance of josh white and his importance during the 30's thru the 60's.

He was a legend during the time. He was the first black american to have an endorsement for guitar.  He was a close friend and confidant of president roosevelt and played at his and also pres lyndon johnson's inauguration. He was the first black popular music artist to have a national concert hall tour. He was the first back artist to give a commqnd performance at the white house in 1941. It was so good, he was invited back for 5 more command concerts. Jfk invited him to a tv special called dinner with the president where jfk said he listened to joshs records and how they inspired him.  He did broadway, films, radio and tv shows at home and internationally. For decades, he was one of the leading artists in blues, spiritual, protest, folk and negro music.  Ive only scratched the surface of how important, popular and influential this man was. 

Favorite (of all time) Josh White tune (words by Langston Hughes)....

https://youtu.be/vFf9gDNbi-Q

Ed

:donut :donut2 :coffee
Re: Josh White
So... after all the talk about Josh and his guitar.... looking up stuff I found the long video from when he played in Sweden, I think it is really cool.
This guy could really play well. And sing well too. Great stuff. Thanks for bringing it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edW5UHehwbA
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 30, 2017, 06:07:50 PM
Beautiful, Scott - and I'm sure the tone is incredible!

Today in a shop I played a new design 000-18 and an 0-18 - loved the 000; the 0 just didn't have quite the right bass (but different strings might have helped). Made me think that the 00-18 might just be the Goldilocks guitar - "just right."

G'day mate,
From what I've heard the new series 00-18's are backordered heavily. No chance of seeing one here in Australia til the US orders are filled so I just pony'd up for what was probably the last new 00-18V in existence. No regrets, it's a great guitar.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.