12 Strings

Started by ducktrapper, June 19, 2017, 09:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a Guild D1212, all mahogany, solid wood . Plays great, stays in tune, and has a great sound.  You just can't believe it for what they sell for.
:thumb :thumb
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

I jumped into the 12-string pool this morning!

I looked for a used lefty Larrivee - couldn't really find one... looked at the low-end Martin - they get decent reviews, but I couldn't get excited about their bare bones specs...

Looked at the low end Taylor as well; same thing. Saw a used Ovation 12... too risky, neck could be screwed up, and I'm pretty much done with Ovations (might keep one of the two I have...)

Found a Takamine ETN40C - don't know where they come up with their model system, but it's a cedar top/sapele b/s. Mint condition, an older model, not a cheapy newer version (these sold back in the day for around $1,500).

Should arrive sometime next week (coming from Florida, Rob!), looking forward to giving a hands on review.  My past experience with Tak's is that they're well built, good quality materials, necks are always straight as an arrow, and they play great. Sound can be all over the map, but the seller's sound clips of this one (through the pickup, no doubt) sounded very balanced, and I'm assuming for my purposes I'll be satisfied with the tone.

Here are a few pics (from the seller):
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

WAY COOL!!!!!The older Tak's are really nice I once owned for 2 days an N20 jumbo 6 that had a solid ceder top with laminated mahogany back and side's great sounding guitar.I lost it to a friend on a Tuesday night scotch and guitar night.I've lost a few guitars to him.

It looks like it has a pu installed as I can see a vol.control in the sound hole,do you know what its got?
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Rob,

It actually has one of the dreaded cutouts in the top side of the guitar...I'll have to let that pass this time (since it's on laminated sapele sides). So it has one of their built in eq systems on it - from reviews I've been reading on line, these sound excellent plugged in...

...another bonus of the tuner: you can recalibrate it to tune the guitar below standard pitch...

...also, confirmed that the guitar is one of their Made in Japan models...

Here's a pic of the eq:

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 28, 2017, 02:07:49 PM
Rob,

It actually has one of the dreaded cutouts in the top side of the guitar...I'll have to let that pass this time (since it's on laminated sapele sides). So it has one of their built in eq systems on it - from reviews I've been reading on line, these sound excellent plugged in...

...another bonus of the tuner: you can recalibrate it to tune the guitar below standard pitch...

...also, confirmed that the guitar is one of their Made in Japan models...

Here's a pic of the eq:

Nothing wrong with having great amplified sound and the means to control it right on the guitar in a handy place.  I bet it sounds great plugged in.  And it's a looker too.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

The guitar arrived yesterday... absolutely mint condition, but more importantly, it plays like butter (as you'd expect from a Tak), and sounds good. I mentioned in a thread on the main forum that I'd like a little more low end - but I can get that when plugged in. And the barn door on this one doesn't bother me, because it's around the edge by the neck, so you don't see it when playing.

Looking forward to spending some more time with this beauty ... Already started working on the intro to Mr. Tambourine Man and Turn, Turn, Turn...

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 28, 2017, 01:15:19 PM
I jumped into the 12-string pool this morning!

I looked for a used lefty Larrivee - couldn't really find one... looked at the low-end Martin - they get decent reviews, but I couldn't get excited about their bare bones specs...

Looked at the low end Taylor as well; same thing. Saw a used Ovation 12... too risky, neck could be screwed up, and I'm pretty much done with Ovations (might keep one of the two I have...)

Found a Takamine ETN40C - don't know where they come up with their model system, but it's a cedar top/sapele b/s. Mint condition, an older model, not a cheapy newer version (these sold back in the day for around $1,500).

Should arrive sometime next week (coming from Florida, Rob!), looking forward to giving a hands on review.  My past experience with Tak's is that they're well built, good quality materials, necks are always straight as an arrow, and they play great. Sound can be all over the map, but the seller's sound clips of this one (through the pickup, no doubt) sounded very balanced, and I'm assuming for my purposes I'll be satisfied with the tone.

Here are a few pics (from the seller):

Congrats Rev!  I have an ETN10C with the same top, back and sides as yours, it is all solid wood too, in a dread cutaway.  I researched old models in the archive on the Takamine site and found out it was a pro model that they offered during their 50th Anniversary year.  The ETN40C-12 is not listed in the archive (but the 40C is), but I can tell from your photos that it was made that same year (look at the sticker in the upper right hand portion of your soundhole).  The ETN40 is an NEX body
(small jumbo).  Great guitars...   link to archive  http://www.takamine.com/ETN40C   details the wood inlays, etc.....
George

Quote from: George on October 05, 2017, 03:29:17 PM
Congrats Rev!  I have an ETN10C with the same top, back and sides as yours, it is all solid wood too, in a dread cutaway.  I researched old models in the archive on the Takamine site and found out it was a pro model that they offered during their 50th Anniversary year.  The ETN40C-12 is not listed in the archive (but the 40C is), but I can tell from your photos that it was made that same year (look at the sticker in the upper right hand portion of your soundhole).  The ETN40 is an NEX body
(small jumbo).  Great guitars...   link to archive  http://www.takamine.com/ETN40C   details the wood inlays, etc.....

Thanks, George! I did find that link when I was researching this thing. Only difference is it has laminated sides but solid cedar top and solid sapele back. But no complaints...it should scratch my 12-string itch really well!

Yari's have solid tops and backs with laminated side's.I once ask them why and was told that the only thing the sides were for was to hold the top and back in place all the sound came from the top and the reflexion of the back for tone.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 05, 2017, 11:32:27 AM
... Already started working on the intro to Mr. Tambourine Man and Turn, Turn, Turn...

Of course.  Enjoy.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

If I was ever to get an electric 12-string, it would be a Rickenbacker 360/12 (ala Harrison) or 370/12 (ala McGuinn).

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 10, 2017, 12:09:14 AM
If I was ever to get an electric 12-string, it would be a Rickenbacker 360/12 (ala Harrison) or 370/12 (ala McGuinn).

:+1:  ME TOO!
George

Sadly mine is a bit of a case-queen
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I've converted a few 12 strings to get the sound of a Rick and have come very close by striging the guitar like a Rick with the octive string on the outside,both electric and acoustic.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 10, 2017, 09:23:28 AM
Sadly mine is a bit of a case-queen

Andrew, can you elaborate?  Not into 12-strings?  Don't like how it plays/sounds?  Too many guitars to play?

My only real "one that got away" story was a mid-60s Fender Electric XII.  That thing played and sounded great.  I was sure I wanted an acoustic and I traded it for a Taylor.  At the time, I couldn't afford both.  Man, I'd love to have that guitar back.

Ed

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 11, 2017, 09:27:04 PM
  Too many guitars to play?
Unfortunately or fortunately as it beats the opposite I suppose. Regardless it is what it is. Haven't had the guitar out of its case in more than 2 years........  uggggg!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)