12 Strings

Started by ducktrapper, June 19, 2017, 09:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 25, 2017, 05:20:09 PM
I'm even more impressed with this Washburn after reading about them. I assumed that it had a solid spruce top and laminated back and sides but, apparently it isn't a laminate. It's mahogany. For around $300.00 new? Best bang for the buck since Larrivee made 01's.  I'm going to keep my eye out for a 6 string version.

Link to where you can find these? (I know - no lefties)
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 22, 2017, 12:30:24 PM
I guess. However, I have a song of my own with those words, so I'm good.   :beer

Of course, it's not a 12 string, it's my '75 L.  I apologize for mispronouncing the main street of Amersterdam. Should be pronounced 'lide se pline'.  

https://www.reverbnation.com/thomaslee4/song/22569159-april-in-amsterdam

Nice tune, Tom, and I like the accompaniment.  And you went from Gitche Gumee to Zuider Zee... my daughter recently lived on Zuider Zee Drive in Orange City, IA - a very Dutch community and also where she graduated from (Northwestern) College (a very Dutch/Reformed Church school). (Full disclosure - I'm half Dutch - my mom's maiden name was Zylstra - but I've never been to the Netherlands.)

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 25, 2017, 07:12:50 PM
Nice tune, Tom, and I like the accompaniment.  And you went from Gitche Gumee to Zuider Zee... my daughter recently lived on Zuider Zee Drive in Orange City, IA - a very Dutch community and also where she graduated from (Northwestern) College (a very Dutch/Reformed Church school). (Full disclosure - I'm half Dutch - my mom's maiden name was Zylstra - but I've never been to the Netherlands.)

Thanks. I've never been to the Netherlands either. Several years back I ran into an old friend and wonderful guitar player,  Terry Erickson aka Doc Tibbles,  (who is mentioned in Neil Young's autobiography) and he told me that a song off his new CD was hot in Amsterdam and he was going there in April to do some shows. I told him I'd write him a song for the occasion. I wrote it from Doc's POV, slipping in "picking out Candyman" one of his favorite tunes. Funny thing is, the thing fell through and Doc never went to Amsterdam and never learned the tune. I thought I might as well keep it. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 26, 2017, 06:23:27 AM
Thanks. I've never been to the Netherlands either. Several years back I ran into an old friend and wonderful guitar player,  Terry Erickson aka Doc Tibbles,  (who is mentioned in Neil Young's autobiography) and he told me that a song off his new CD was hot in Amsterdam and he was going there in April to do some shows. I told him I'd write him a song for the occasion. I wrote it from Doc's POV, slipping in "picking out Candyman" one of his favorite tunes. Funny thing is, the thing fell through and Doc never went to Amsterdam and never learned the tune. I thought I might as well keep it. 

Walkerman and Walkerwoman will be in he Netherlands in three days.  As for twelve strings .... required for the music I grew up with

Walk Right In
Eve of Destruction
Hide Your Love Away
Mr Tambourine Man
Ticket to Ride

And on and on.  I love my Rickenbacker, but I hate changing strings.  Worst headstock design ever.

Got myself a local lead on a Larrivee 12 string. Hoping to check it out soon.

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 26, 2017, 06:23:27 AM

So maybe this is how some of the best songs get written... in anticipation of what someone else might do... or not.

Based on personal experience, I would not buy an inexpensive 12 string without careful consideration and I think it pays to spend a little extra money to purchase quality.  12 string necks are tricky and it takes a while to find the right one that is both playable and stays in tune.

When I started playing, a lot of people influenced me. John Denver played a Guild 12 string, switched to a Yamaha and ended up with a Taylor while Gordon Lightfoot played a Gibson B-45 and he still has two of them. One capoed at the third fret in dropped D. Leo Kottke started with a Gibson, switched to a Martin, then a Bozo and finally a Taylor signature model.

My first 12 string was an Ovation Pacemaker that was a factory second and it was the only guitar I ever sold. It took me a long time to decide on another 12 string and it came down to a Taylor or a Larrivee. I wanted something special so I added a cutaway and a mahogany top along with a bone nut/saddle. I just played it for 45 minutes tonight. This guitar handles strumming and finger picking easily and the mahogany top reduces the jangle while maintaining the full sound of all 12 strings. The Larrivee L Body is the perfect shape for a 12 string from my perspective and at some point, I would like to pick up the same guitar with a flamed or quilted maple back and sides.

Quote from: teh on June 26, 2017, 09:57:33 PM
Based on personal experience, I would not buy an inexpensive 12 string without careful consideration and I think it pays to spend a little extra money to purchase quality.  12 string necks are tricky and it takes a while to find the right one that is both playable and stays in tune.

When I started playing, a lot of people influenced me. John Denver played a Guild 12 string, switched to a Yamaha and ended up with a Taylor while Gordon Lightfoot played a Gibson B-45 and he still has two of them. One capoed at the third fret in dropped D. Leo Kottke started with a Gibson, switched to a Martin, then a Bozo and finally a Taylor signature model.

My first 12 string was an Ovation Pacemaker that was a factory second and it was the only guitar I ever sold. It took me a long time to decide on another 12 string and it came down to a Taylor or a Larrivee. I wanted something special so I added a cutaway and a mahogany top along with a bone nut/saddle. I just played it for 45 minutes tonight. This guitar handles strumming and finger picking easily and the mahogany top reduces the jangle while maintaining the full sound of all 12 strings. The Larrivee L Body is the perfect shape for a 12 string from my perspective and at some point, I would like to pick up the same guitar with a flamed or quilted maple back and sides.

I fully realize it's a complete package... the way each component adds up to make a composite instrument, but I have long said, if someone could meld a Taylor 12 string neck and a Guild 12 string jumbo body, you'd end up with the ultimate 12 string.

That said, after listening to people play Martin, Guild, Taylor, Gibson, Ovation, Yamaha, Larrivee, and just about every other brand out there and sound amazing, practice and dedication outdoes brand every time.

Ed

My first 12 string was an Ovation Pacemaker that was a factory second and it was the only guitar I ever sold. It took me a long time to decide on another 12 string and it came down to a Taylor or a Larrivee. I wanted something special so I added a cutaway and a mahogany top along with a bone nut/saddle.

It would have to be special to sit in with those Martin's you have! Nice little collection of acoustics! Would love to see a few pictures of that custom 000 with the 3-piece mahogany back... you could start a new thread for that if you don't want to sidetrack this 12-string topic...

:drool:

Based on my own experience, if you want a nice 12 string and can find one, the Washburn D-10S-12 is an excellent choice and, like some continue to say about Larrivees, is a lot of bang for the buck.  :beer

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 26, 2017, 02:35:14 PM
So maybe this is how some of the best songs get written... in anticipation of what someone else might do... or not.

Could be. The songs I've written for other people sometimes turn out to be my better songs, that's for sure. 

Quote from: Walkerman on June 26, 2017, 08:02:06 AM
Walkerman and Walkerwoman will be in he Netherlands in three days.  As for twelve strings .... required for the music I grew up with

Walk Right In
Eve of Destruction
Hide Your Love Away
Mr Tambourine Man
Ticket to Ride

And on and on.  I love my Rickenbacker, but I hate changing strings.  Worst headstock design ever.

What a wonderful world we live in! I looked the lyrics up for every one of those songs and played them. Fun ensued. Here's another for you. 'What You're Doing' by the Beatles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aKEoD9PDuw   

Quote from: Walkerman on June 26, 2017, 08:02:06 AM
  I love my Rickenbacker, but I hate changing strings.  Worst headstock design ever.

Must be a model 360?
George

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 19, 2017, 09:49:54 PM
While I'd love a Larrivee 12, I just don't play enough 12 string to warrant buying one. Presently, I own a very decent Washburn that I bought used for $200,00 and a really nice Yamaha Pacifica electric 12 string that I really like. Any thoughts on 12 strings?

Two years ago my mother bought me an inexpensive Epiphone Texan FT-160N 12 string that still is in dire need of repair. Even though the neck is a bolt on, it is more like an electric guitar in design at the neck joint and after doing some research I found that these models really suffered greatly for it.

Nowadays I admit that I do lust for a Taylor 12 string. Others have commented on Taylors being "jangly" but I submit that they should try the new Grand Auditorium in a 12 string. I am haunted by the 458e, but it's around $2K and I can't justify spending more than $1000 on ANY guitar. Thus the 254ce DLX  is more my speed - even if the back and sides are "layered."
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: kwakatak on July 16, 2017, 09:18:07 PM
I submit that they should try the new Grand Auditorium in a 12 string.

I have a Grand Auditorium  Taylor.  It's jangly compared to my Larrivee or Guild.    :laughin:

I'd love a Breedlove American Series or Oregon series 12, but I seriously need to so something about the 12-string proliferation around here first.

Quote from: AZLiberty on July 16, 2017, 10:48:32 PM
I have a Grand Auditorium  Taylor.  It's jangly compared to my Larrivee or Guild.    :laughin:

I'd love a Breedlove American Series or Oregon series 12, but I seriously need to so something about the 12-string proliferation around here first.

My mistake. I meant "Grand Orchestra" as in the -18 and -58 models. They are bigger than the GS models and have lots of bass.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: kwakatak on July 19, 2017, 11:32:05 AM
My mistake. I meant "Grand Orchestra" as in the -18 and -58 models. They are bigger than the GS models and have lots of bass.

I believe I tried to play one of those last time I was at LA Guitar Sales.  Ted let me try one.   

They make a dreadnought feel like a parlor.

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on June 19, 2017, 10:29:01 PM
I have always owned a 12 string or three at time's.Right now I have a Seagul S12 that we use in the duo.Its played on 3 or 4 tune's.Having a 12 string can add some nice colour but can also be played waaaaay toooo much.I know a solo player that only plays 12 string which could be alrite but he mostly plays the higher strings for some unknown reason which keeps me from going to his gigs as I might have to hurt him with his guitar.Kottke  played both 6 and 12 string guitars as have many players.If the Washburn does the job for you there is no reason to buy another,with that said if I every have any extra money I would love to own an OM03/12 again just for my own use as I love playing a 12 string in open tunings.

Rob, I'm with you on the OM-03/12. Wonder why they aren't made anymore; Taylor just came out with the 562ce (small body-12 string). And I just read they have a short scale 352/362ce also which is a little lower in price point (just introduced at Nashville NAMM).
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: AZLiberty on June 19, 2017, 10:16:59 PM
Thoughts...

Um, buy my D-03R-12?

12's tend to fall into two camps, jangly like a Taylor,

You clearly have not heard the 562ce or even better the K62ce or you would not be saying that  :winkin:
Larrivee D10 2003
Larrivee OM10 RX Moonspruce 2017
Gibson J45 Vintage Sunburst 2015
Martin HD28V 2014
Taylor K62ce 12-fret 12 string LTD 2016
Taylor GS Mini-e Rosewood 2014
Ovation Custom Elite 2002
https://thisbrokenwall.bandcamp.com/album/come-again