Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12 Strings  (Read 2419 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2017, 02:49:54 AM »

While I'd love a Larrivee 12, I just don't play enough 12 string to warrant buying one. Presently, I own a very decent Washburn that I bought used for $200,00 and a really nice Yamaha Pacifica electric 12 string that I really like. Any thoughts on 12 strings?
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 03:16:59 AM »

Thoughts...

Um, buy my D-03R-12?

12's tend to fall into two camps, jangly like a Taylor, or growling like a Guild.   I tend to prefer a growl/thump. 

If you like the dreadnought shape then there a a lot of options out there.  The Martin X-series is quite good, Larrivees of course, the new Taylor 150 that I don't like but others do, and vintage Guild 12s (as long as they are dreads) are crazy affordable for what you get.  And of course you can get a Seagull S12  (12 string version of the S6) for $200-250 on Craigslist all across this vast nation of ours.  (and presumably on Kijiji for our northern neighbors)

In the not terribly expensive range I actually really like the imported Breedloves.   The C/Concert shape is really comfortable as it is essentially a deep body OM.   Musicians Friend/Guitar center had them for something stupid like $400 a couple weeks ago.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:29:01 AM »

I have always owned a 12 string or three at time's.Right now I have a Seagul S12 that we use in the duo.Its played on 3 or 4 tune's.Having a 12 string can add some nice colour but can also be played waaaaay toooo much.I know a solo player that only plays 12 string which could be alrite but he mostly plays the higher strings for some unknown reason which keeps me from going to his gigs as I might have to hurt him with his guitar.Kottke  played both 6 and 12 string guitars as have many players.If the Washburn does the job for you there is no reason to buy another,with that said if I every have any extra money I would love to own an OM03/12 again just for my own use as I love playing a 12 string in open tunings.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:50:00 AM »

I wouldn't mind trying one for a while. Not a dread though, and short scale would be required. Not sure what I'd do with it though,,,probably sell it for lack of use.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:13:10 PM »

Thoughts...

Um, buy my D-03R-12?

12's tend to fall into two camps, jangly like a Taylor, or growling like a Guild.   I tend to prefer a growl/thump.  

If you like the dreadnought shape then there a a lot of options out there.  The Martin X-series is quite good, Larrivees of course, the new Taylor 150 that I don't like but others do, and vintage Guild 12s (as long as they are dreads) are crazy affordable for what you get.  And of course you can get a Seagull S12  (12 string version of the S6) for $200-250 on Craigslist all across this vast nation of ours.  (and presumably on Kijiji for our northern neighbors)

In the not terribly expensive range I actually really like the imported Breedloves.   The C/Concert shape is really comfortable as it is essentially a deep body OM.   Musicians Friend/Guitar center had them for something stupid like $400 a couple weeks ago.

Your ad is what got me thinking but I think I really don't need another one or a better one. The Washburn is actually quite enough of a guitar for my purposes. When I bought it, I also tried a used Taylor 12er that GC wanted $2,200.00 for. I thought to myself, this guitar is not 2K better than this Washburn for $200.00. It's a pretty nice guitar. Plays well, sounds good and stays in tune. I made the mistake of saying that to the young dude who was working there and had my hearing and/or experience insulted by the little creep with a man bun. Heh.  
Anyway, other than that, Gordon Lightfoot songs demand one.  
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 06:10:39 PM »

I have a love/hate relationship with 12 strings...  the guitar that got me interested in acoustics (after ??? about 20 years of playing electrics, and acoustic only because there was no electricity available) was a 12 string (that my girlfriend and eventually wife encouraged me to buy!).  I've probably been through 20 12 strings over the past 25 years.  I don't have one, and need to have one.  Then I  get one and play it for a while, and it sits.  An unplayed instrument is a sad thing to me so I sell it off.

A few weeks ago, I found a guy who didn't want his Martin D12X1AE, but did want some old rack gear I had.  It sounds ok for a solid top Formica back guitar and plays nice.   I think I did well with the trade.

Ed
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »

I think mine sounds better than this one but it's the same model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h2yeG6Yl0E
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »

A Yamaha 12 string was my second acoustic guitar, and I kept and played it for many years.  No telling how many labor hours I put into making that guitar as playable as I could.  The older I get the harder it is for me to play those wider necks, although that "jangle" is a distinctly sweet string sound.  I finally bought a "Mosaic" pedal that does a fairly decent job of electronically duplicating the string pairing, including the octaves.  At least it sounds a lot like a real 12...  not the same but it works for me.

George
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 02:12:43 AM »

Anyway, other than that, Gordon Lightfoot songs demand one.  

Aadd9, Em, G, D repeat till fingers fall off.     But seriously Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald tends to be the first tune I play to test out a guitar.

One of the comments above got me thinking though.  Sunday I was being nice to the wife and restrung her OM-03 for her. Then being a bit of a joker I left it in DADGAD.   

Maybe I should take one of my 12's and try it in DADGAD...

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 02:24:34 AM »

I will normally do one or two songs in a set on a 12.   Generally not something overly complicated because frankly I'm not that good.  On the other hand a 12 simply gives a different "presence" than a 6

Here's a song I wrote and sang for a science fiction convention a while back (don't ask either you understand or the explanation would take way too long).  

It a basic arpegiated pattern, but you simply can't get this type of ethereal sound out of a six string

https://youtu.be/Z9lXYY-pH2U

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

webberink

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 06:15:59 PM »

If you love the wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald by Lightfoots on the 12 string, you will love this on a 12 string in DADGAD.  Its my favorite song to do in DADGAD on a 12 string. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT-aEcPgkuA&list=RDfT-aEcPgkuA#t=40 
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 07:22:58 PM »

TWOTEF, while having an easy chord progression, has too many words for me.  I tend to go with Did She Mention My Name, Rich Man's Spiritual, For Lovin' Me and Early Morning Rain when I do Gordie. I can remember them.      
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 02:33:08 AM »

TWOTEF, while having an easy chord progression, has too many words for me.   

Yeah, but any song with the words "Gitche Gumee" in it that is considered serious art (rather than just a bubble gum love song) has to be sung on occasion!

Aadd9, Em, G, D repeat till fingers fall off.     But seriously Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald tends to be the first tune I play to test out a guitar.

Do you also add capo, like the original?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 05:30:24 PM »

Yeah, but any song with the words "Gitche Gumee" in it that is considered serious art (rather than just a bubble gum love song) has to be sung on occasion!

I guess. However, I have a song of my own with those words, so I'm good.  

Of course, it's not a 12 string, it's my '75 L.  I apologize for mispronouncing the main street of Amersterdam. Should be pronounced 'lide se pline'.  

https://www.reverbnation.com/thomaslee4/song/22569159-april-in-amsterdam
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 01:55:02 AM »

Do you also add capo, like the original?

Lightfoot plays is capo II but Lightfoot also has his guitar tuned down 2 half steps. which brings it back to concert pitch.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 11:45:18 AM »

Lightfoot plays is capo II but Lightfoot also has his guitar tuned down 2 half steps. which brings it back to concert pitch.

I've always tuned my 12s down a whole step like that and made good use of a capo.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »

I believe he got that from one of the many news articles he used to write the song within a year of the disaster

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 01:29:39 PM »

I believe he got that from one of the many news articles he used to write the song within a year of the disaster

Those of us who have lived on the big lake use the term quite often. 

http://www.lakesuperior.com/the-lake/lake-superior/281almanac/
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 05:43:16 PM »

Those of us who have lived on the big lake use the term quite often. 

http://www.lakesuperior.com/the-lake/lake-superior/281almanac/
Still call it that even though it's been 30 years since I called it's shores home.
I've got a Gibson 12 string I bought new back in '88. Sweet, sweet sounding guitar that has sadly become a case queen due mostly to hand issues. It needs a new home and I'll start that process someday soon.   

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 10:20:09 PM »

I'm even more impressed with this Washburn after reading about them. I assumed that it had a solid spruce top and laminated back and sides but, apparently it isn't a laminate. It's mahogany. For around $300.00 new? Best bang for the buck since Larrivee made 01's.  I'm going to keep my eye out for a 6 string version.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: