Instrumentals?

Started by Skip Ellis, June 19, 2017, 02:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are there any of you folks out there who perform solo acoustic   'instrumental only'? For those of us who don't sing and have no desire to start, are there places to play where people appreciate solo guitar? I play mostly Chet, Merle, Eddie Pennington, Doc Watson, etc. and some quiet fingerstyle things like Shenandoah, Foggy Dew, Danny Boy, and a few Celtic things. I've been a pro/semi pro player since about 1970 and I do work in an electric duo doing the old surf and instrumental tunes from the 60's - Ventures, Lonnie Mack, Duane Eddy and the like and we do get gigs (not as often as I like). It seems that that music brings back memories to some folks. I would like to occasionally go out and  play a solo gig once in awhile.  Not much in the way of open mics around here and most of what you find is electric blues, which, mostly, bores me after not very long. Any suggestions?

This is a tad outside the box, but look around and see if you have any theaters in town, theatrical as opposed to movies. I played a few times at a community theater in the lobby prior to their shows as well as onstage as pre-show music. Not much more than 20 minutes a set, nor can a community theater actually afford to pay you, but they will likely appreciate the heck out of having some nice non-vocal easy to set up music to entertain their patrons before the curtain goes up. It doesn't hurt to have a reason to go into the lobby during intermission to buy stuff if there's a musician playing. You'll probably score a comp and meet some nice folks. Another place you might look into would be art galleries.

Good luck, I can relate as my playing is significantly better than my voice.
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

I've done a few music only gigs but after a while I get bored myself just doing instrumentals.I can sing backup and I have sung a bit and don't like my own voice.Maybe you should look for someone to work with who does sing or with someone who sings and plays guitar.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: jpmist on June 19, 2017, 10:35:33 PM
This is a tad outside the box, but look around and see if you have any theaters in town, theatrical as opposed to movies. I played a few times at a community theater in the lobby prior to their shows as well as onstage as pre-show music. Not much more than 20 minutes a set, nor can a community theater actually afford to pay you, but they will likely appreciate the heck out of having some nice non-vocal easy to set up music to entertain their patrons before the curtain goes up. It doesn't hurt to have a reason to go into the lobby during intermission to buy stuff if there's a musician playing. You'll probably score a comp and meet some nice folks. Another place you might look into would be art galleries.

Good luck, I can relate as my playing is significantly better than my voice.

Good suggestion and I do have contacts at the local theater as they have hired me in the past to play pedal steel and lead guitar in some of their productions. The last show I did there, they had a piano player in the lobby for about 45 minutes before curtain time. I might just check it out.