Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement Machine Heads  (Read 585 times)
Skip Ellis

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2017, 02:54:22 AM »

Can anyone list which machine heads are direct replacements for the (Ping?) that come stock on Larrivee guitars? I might be interested in swapping out the stock tuners on my incoming L-05 for something  a little better quality but want to keep the original holes. I know Gotoh 510s fit but how about Schaller or Grover or ????? I'd like to find something that has a variety of exotic wood buttons available - I know they're out there for the Gotoh but not sure what else. Allparts has some faux tortoise shell that I think would look real nice.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 03:22:06 AM »

The stocks tuners are great on the L-05, and you need to get the guitar and play the crap out of it before you start trying to figure out how to improve it, looks or otherwise.
This is my humble opinion having owned and played the crap out of an L-05 for nearly 3 years.
It is a wonderful guitar, and fills a niche among my five Larrivee 6 strings.
Mine is used (2010 model) and  had no mods besides ebony tuner buttons and strap buttons installed (as purchased).
I have installed a LR Baggs M1 passive sound hole pickup (awesome) but you seem to be more interested in mics for recording.
Mike

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:44:58 PM »

Can anyone list which machine heads are direct replacements for the (Ping?) that come stock on Larrivee guitars?

Schaller, Gotoh, and Grover all make ones that will just drop in.   Nice wooden buttons are easiest to get for Schallers by far.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
markj

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:37:46 PM »

So, who actually makes the new JCL 18:1 tuners that are on my 50th Anniversary?  Can I use Schaller compatible wood knobs on them? I am thinking of trying out both, ebony and pearl.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:58:02 PM »

I've used Gotoh Contours 21:1. Look cool. Work great.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:01:49 PM »

So, who actually makes the new JCL 18:1 tuners that are on my 50th Anniversary?  Can I use Schaller compatible wood knobs on them? I am thinking of trying out both, ebony and pearl.

If you want tuning knobs that will not slip, you should ask Larrivee customer service...  I have heard bad things about trying to use third party knobs on the factory tuning machines.

George
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 10:32:39 PM »

So, who actually makes the new JCL 18:1 tuners that are on my 50th Anniversary?
I think they are Faradyne Tuners  which are Asian possibly Chinese used by Larrivée since late 2011 or early 2012, have not heard anything negative on them unlike the mini Ping fiasco

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Skip Ellis

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »

I think they are Faradyne Tuners  which are Asian possibly Chinese used by Larrivée since late 2011 or early 2012, have not heard anything negative on them unlike the mini Ping fiasco

So, I can assume that my 2008 has Ping tuners?
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »

So, I can assume that my 2008 has Ping tuners?

I am not 100% positive, but I think they were trying different tuners back then.
mattwood

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »

Skip, I think I checked one time and remember being told they are Ping tuners.  It would be good to double check again as I don't trust my memory.  Just so you know, I never had one issue with those tuners and they stayed in tune wonderfully.  I did think about changing out the knobs purely for aesthetics but I think the chrome ones really look good on that guitar since it's so darn pretty anyway.
Skip Ellis

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 05:05:11 PM »

Matt, I'm sure they're fine - I'm just looking at options. I'm thinking tortoise would look great on that guitar but not sure if they're available for anything but Grover and Gotoh. I'll leave alone for awhile anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: