Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Audio Interface Suggestions  (Read 645 times)
Skip Ellis

« on: June 15, 2017, 11:20:30 PM »

I'll be getting an L-05 next Tuesday and I want to start getting set up to do some recording of my fingerstyle stuff. In the past, I've just used a Samson USB mic straight in to the USB port on my desktop using Audacity software but I'd like to up my game a little (low budget!) and go to a pair of small condenser mics (probably Behringer) and a USB interface that supports two mics and provides phantom power. Any suggestions? Total budget probably under $200. I'd like to stick with Audacity because it's free and I pretty much know how to operate it.
Barefoot Rob

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 02:26:13 AM »

You might want to see if you can find a pair of MXL mic's.They were sold by GC a while back and run used for about $50,Best set I ever bought for next to nothin.

Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
Call PM me I may b

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 03:45:42 AM »

For a USB audio interface I'd recommend the one I ended up with after trying 3 other brands, Behringer UMC404HD

4 channel, phantom power, I use it on a Mac with Garageband and it works great. Same price as most other brand's 2 channel models.

I also got a set of Behringer C2 condensor mics when I first started getting into recording and they sounded good to me. The Amazon reviews are pretty good as well.  The USB interface and mics are well within your budget.

Mark Knopfler song I recorded with the 2 Behringer mics using a Line 6 Pod Studio UX2, LSV-11 & Strat  Maybe not audiophile perfect & my singing sux, but I think it's ok.

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 04:18:48 AM »

To up your DAW software to a proper multi track software you can use Tracktion 5 for free. Proper latency compensation and real plugin support.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
mike in lytle

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 06:01:32 PM »

Previously mentioned by John, I also have a couple of Behringer C-2 mics (small diaphragm), inexpensive and I get good results with them.
Mic placement is an ongoing experiment.
Also have a couple MXL V63M (large diaphragm), inexpensive but I am still working with those.
Don't know about DAW interface cause I am recording on an older Alesis hard drive recorder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: