Considering a Larrivee LV-03, 05, or 09. Any help?

Started by hawk93x, June 15, 2017, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm in the market for a new acoustic -- one that will be with me for the rest of my time.  For basic parameters, here's what I'm looking for:  GA/GC body style, cutaway, electronics.  Taylor 814ce is on my list, as is the Martin OMC-35e.  Somebody suggested that I also look at Larrivee, so I'm coming to this late in the game.  I'm wondering if folks here might be able to bring me up to speed.  It looks like LV-03e, LV-05e, and LV-09e are the contenders.

I've contacted every dealer within 200 miles, and none of them have these guitars.  Each one says I wouldn't be able to see/play one in person unless I order it, so I'm kind of flying blind since I don't know much about the brand -- other than the fact that it has a fine reputation.

Can anybody give me advice on these three models?  And also what my options are for electronics without cutting a whole in the shoulder?

Thank you,
Dave

It really depends on whether you want mahogany back and sides (which would be the LV-05) or rosewood back and sides (the LV-09 or LV-10 [with slightly more 'bling']).

At the level of Martin and Taylor you're looking at, I'd bypass the 03 series - the aesthetics aren't the same as on a gloss 05 or 09 series.

You can see what Larrivee offers for pickups at their website - I don't know if they currently use anything on the higher up series that would have a barn door in the side of the guitar - but I'd vote against those, too!

Others here might have experience with Larrivee's current pickup offerings - hopefully they'll chime in soon.

What state are you located in? There are some great Larrivee dealers around the country - Dave's Woodstock guitars in Chicago, Jim at Trinity Guitars in New York, Shoreline Music in Colorado, and several others that do LOTS of online business (I've done business with the three mentioned and have been very happy with their service).

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Order without a pickup. The only bad experience I had on my L03 was due to factory installed pickup.  Really poor hole cutout by Larrivée and it failed after about 2 years of ownership with no warranty coverage by Larrivée nor the pickup manufacturer
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

BUY ONE OF EACH......  :roll

This way you can't go wrong......... :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut

:wave   :nana_guitar   :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 15, 2017, 02:17:37 PM

What state are you located in? There are some great Larrivee dealers around the country - Dave's Woodstock guitars in Chicago, Jim at Trinity Guitars in New York, Shoreline Music in Colorado, and several others that do LOTS of online business (I've done business with the three mentioned and have been very happy with their service).

I'm in Massachusetts.  It's really unfortunate that I can't get my hands on one of these before I make a decision.

Quote from: hawk93x on June 15, 2017, 03:29:33 PM
I'm in Massachusetts.  It's really unfortunate that I can't get my hands on one of these before I make a decision.

The only Larrivee I played in a store before I bought it, was my very first one.  After that I have purchased them all online from various different dealers and never had one disappointment.  Larrivee quality is pretty near perfect on every model.  I only own one Taylor and two Martins, all the rest are Larrivee...  I would choose Larrivee over those two any day, and most any other mass produced brand as well...
George

Quote from: hawk93x on June 15, 2017, 03:29:33 PM

I've owned 7 Larrivee guitars.  still own 5.   never played any of them before buying.  When you are a lefty such as myself and Mikeymac, and others, you often have to buy on faith as you rarely find one in a store to try out.  So far I have not been disappointed and I've owned everything from 03 series to 10 series and one 50 series 000.
An L body shape is a solid choice....the signature Jean Larrivee body style.  After that it's pretty easy to narrow your options down. Want gloss ?  rule out the 03 series.  Like mahogany back and sides ?   An L-05 is your guitar.  Want rosewood ?  L-09 or L-10 gets you where you want to be.  I've had and L-10.  currently  own an L-05TSB that will be with me from here on out.   I guess what I'm saying is that you should not worry about ordering sight-unseen. You will get a top notch guitar that will last as a lifetime if properly cared for.   You could also contact the nearest dealer and have one custom made for you with special headstock inlay or sunburst top..  or some other non-standard woods,  whatever you want. (you'd be surprised what Jean might have laying around   :thumb)

Oh, and welcome to the forum   :welcome:

I didn't play any of the Larrivees I have owned before I purchased them and I have yet to be disappointed. I have owned three (D03R, L03R, and a OOO-40) and still own the OOO-40. I would  stack any/all of these up against any Martin or Taylor. I've never owned a Taylor but I have owned two Martins (D18 and a 000-18) and those Larrivees were/are just as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks to be several Guitar Centers  in MA, find a used Larrivee at guitar center online and have it shipped to your nearest store.  When it comes in try it, if you don't like it don't buy it.
Guitar Center has a very liberal return policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"