Pink Floyd - Pigs on the Wing Parts 1 & 2

Started by markj, June 11, 2017, 01:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

On the LV-10 50th Anniversary.

https://soundcloud.com/marks-recordings/pink-floyd-pigs-on-the-wing-1

The guitar is recorded and presented, "raw". No processing on the guitar track. The vocal track has some compression and a very small amount of "background vocal" chorus.

It is best listened to on a nice set of headphones at a slightly high level, but the guitar comes through pretty faithfully here at any level, but everything seems to "mix" better at a slightly elevated volume level.

Because the tracks are separate, I will be working on the vocals because I feel they need quite a bit of work. lol

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Great one Mark, I liked it.  Your 50th sounds awesome, just as it should be.  I am still thinking I should have ordered one early on, but too many guitars at home now that I am retired.  Have to make room...
George

Quote from: markj on June 11, 2017, 01:04:03 AM
The guitar is recorded and presented, "raw". No processing on the guitar track. The vocal track has some compression and a very small amount of "background vocal" chorus.
It is best listened to on a nice set of headphones at a slightly high level, but the guitar comes through pretty faithfully here at any level, but everything seems to "mix" better at a slightly elevated volume level.
:donut :donut2 :coffee
Mark, it is quite good, and you do a really good job with the singing!
So...., what kind of microphone and how positioned for the guitar. The recording is really clear.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Thanks guys!  It sure is a challenge to get recordings to sound good.  Made even more tedious by recording vocals as I struggle with getting good pronunciations of words or just parts of words, or even individual vowels.  The strumming parts are pretty easy for me yet, when recording, for some reason they become exponentially more difficult to play "perfectly".

I used an single Audio Technica AT4040 condenser mic placed approximately 18" - 24"  in front of the 12th fret. I just recently acquired a CAD VocalShield VS1 Foldable Stand-Mounted Acoustic Shield. I used it for the vocals and decided to also use it on the guitar track.  I will be experimenting with two mics on the guitar but really need to get an isolation booth built or buy another acoustic shield. I think it really does help the clarity of the raw recording.

Here is a photo of the mic setup with the pop filter in place. I removed the pop filter for the guitar track.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: markj on June 12, 2017, 12:14:48 PM
Thanks guys!  It sure is a challenge to get recordings to sound good.  Made even more tedious by recording vocals as I struggle with getting good pronunciations of words or just parts of words, or even individual vowels.  The strumming parts are pretty easy for me yet, when recording, for some reason they become exponentially more difficult to play "perfectly".

I used an single Audio Technica AT4040 condenser mic placed approximately 18" - 24"  in front of the 12th fret. I just recently acquired a CAD VocalShield VS1 Foldable Stand-Mounted Acoustic Shield. I used it for the vocals and decided to also use it on the guitar track.  I will be experimenting with two mics on the guitar but really need to get an isolation booth built or buy another acoustic shield. I think it really does help the clarity of the raw recording.
:cheers
Mark,
Thanks for the photo and mic placement info. I have checked out the acoustic shield, since I am recording in the same room as the equipment, which makes hard drive and fan noises.
Also, when I was starting to record, yeah, it was really hard to get a good take... same reason. Never have got one yet!
Plus, I think you have a really good voice. It sounds smooth, genuine and authentic.
Who in your house plays drums?
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Thanks again Mike!  I really do appreciate you listening and your comments.  I am the drummer in the family too. I just love music. Put an instrument in my hands and I will try to play it. Been that way my entire life. Drums were my main instrument starting around 5th-6th grade and all through college. Found the guitar in college of course. lol Picked up piano seriously around age 29 and the guitar fell into the background of my musical life. Now the two compete for my time. The guitar has been winning that battle a lot lately.   :roll 

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

I think the recording sounds very good indeed.  The tone of that guitar is so nice and your playing just makes it come alive.

If anything, I would boost the voice track just a bit to bring it more out front.  The way you sing it is just fine as is.  But the lyrics should have more emphasis relative to the guitar, given they are the point and message of the song.  In the current version, the guitar overwhelms the voice instead of being in a supporting role to it. JMHO
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Thank you for the kind words L01 and assessment of the mix L07. My mixing skills are still in the very "amateur stage". Any and all critique is welcome.  I think the guitar part is pretty solid but there is always room for improvement. as I stated before, I have the guitar and vocals on separate tracks so, I am able to re-do the individual tracks.

I plan on doing some recording tomorrow. I hope to get something good enough to "publish".  :guitar
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI