Fretboard with inlay wearing

Started by df1k1, May 27, 2017, 04:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

There are some beautiful guitars out there with marvelous inlay along the fretboard. But it got me thinking. How do you play one of these instruments and not worry about fretwork. Does all that inlay eventually wear down and need to be replaced? Clearly I'm talking about years of play but when you're spending thousands and thousands of dollars I  wonder......is this a real concern?

Don't be concerned the inlays are thick enough to stand the test of time.Unless you dig your finger nails into the fretboard.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks for the info. I was just looking at the LV10/50 anniversary and it just got me wondering. So in car terms  could that guitar be your "daily driver" without worry about wear and tear?  I'm not talking about being in a band, playing outside etc. just playing in the home.

I had an LS10 and gigged on it for 4 years and never had a problem.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

My goal is to find the time to play for that to be ever a consideration - Play the 50th and enjoy its really what it was built for!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

A day has not gone by since I took delivery of the 50th Anniversary that I have not played it, at least 3 hours each and every day. I intend to keep doing that for the rest of my life, or until I can no longer physically play it.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

I've had mine going on forty years. The inlay doesn't wear, wood finger board yes.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on May 31, 2017, 12:52:57 AM
I've had mine going on forty years. The inlay doesn't wear, wood finger board yes.

+++++++5

I agree that you shouldn't worry about it.  I've played a lot of older guitars and have never seen inlay wear down.  Occasionally, one might pop out, but that's mostly on cheaper instruments.  The wood will wear long before the inlay does.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.