Have you ever noticed

Started by unclrob, May 22, 2017, 01:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down here in FL,  we often see the white headed buzzards (Bald Eagle)
in the roadkill scrum with the regular (Black and Turkey) buzzards as well as Caracara.
:)

Quote from: tlp2 on June 01, 2017, 08:58:29 AM
Down here in FL,  we often see the white headed buzzards (Bald Eagle)
in the roadkill scrum with the regular (Black and Turkey) buzzards as well as Caracara.
:)
:donut :donut2 :coffee
You are one up on me. In my life I do not think I have ever seen a bald eagle.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on June 01, 2017, 10:23:41 AM
You are one up on me. In my life I do not think I have ever seen a bald eagle.
Mike
They are here in Texas. Usually around lakes and high cliffs. When I was in the piney woods, next to lake Livingston. A pair of bald eagles were playing together up in the tall pines. They made beautifull calls to one another and gave us a nice show for about fifteen minutes.
    They do eagle watching boat cruises on Inks Lake. A large gathering of bald eagles make there home in the high cliffs above the lake.

We have a couple of families of Bald Eagle that live near the dam on the lake I live on in East Texas.  We see one on occasion, they are beautiful birds.  We also have many varieties of Hawk that are majestic as well...
George

If you go to the city dump in Thunder Bay, you will see a hundred or more bald eagles plus a few goldens just hanging around with the million seagulls waiting for the people to leave. The seagulls wait for nothing. Early evening you can see hundreds of them leaving the waterfront on their way to the dump.   

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 01, 2017, 03:59:27 PM
If you go to the city dump in Thunder Bay, you will see a hundred or more bald eagles plus a few goldens just hanging around with the million seagulls waiting for the people to leave. The seagulls wait for nothing. Early evening you can see hundreds of them leaving the waterfront on their way to the dump.    
Well..... if I were ever to get up there, my main visit purpose would be to meet you and play guitars. The city dump would be a less glorious place to see bald eagles than what I would prefer.
Why are all the people hanging around the city dump? Just curious.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Well, are their different kinds of vultures? I retired from communications as in radios and cell towers. Some of the tower owners put up actual dead, stuffed vultures to hang on towers to keep the live ones away. Let the debate go on....
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on June 01, 2017, 11:45:40 PM
Well, are their different kinds of vultures? I retired from communications as in radios and cell towers. Some of the tower owners put up actual dead, stuffed vultures to hang on towers to keep the live ones away. Let the debate go on....
the only two actual vultures I'm aware of are Turkey and Black.

Quote from: mike in lytle on June 01, 2017, 06:05:22 PM
Well..... if I were ever to get up there, my main visit purpose would be to meet you and play guitars. The city dump would be a less glorious place to see bald eagles than what I would prefer.
Why are all the people hanging around the city dump? Just curious.
Mike

Heh, well Thunder Bay ain't the most exciting place on earth. Anyway, long line of cars, trucks, garbage trucks etc. entering to dump ... stuff. Employees and equipment. Keeps the eagles in the trees mostly but the seagulls love people. It is quite a sight to see so many bald eagles acting like vultures.   

QuoteSome of the tower owners put up actual dead, stuffed vultures to hang on towers to keep the live ones away.

Didn't work for us.  The eco division got a permit to taxidermy (bad usage probably) a roadkill buzzard
and hung it on various buildings where they were trying to discourage roosting.
Buzzard counts before, during, and after were not significantly different.

Note: Buzzards are Federally protected, be careful out there.

Quote from: Danny on June 01, 2017, 11:48:57 PM
the only two actual vultures I'm aware of are Turkey and Black.

Is a condor a type of vulture?
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on June 02, 2017, 09:57:15 AM
Is a condor a type of vulture?
Another recent strange discovery is that Storks could be related to vultures. I suppose there are many raptors that seem to be vultures as well.
    But they are more related to hawks, kites, falcons and eagles. And of course some of my favorites are the ravens, crows and magpies.

Quote from: Danny on June 02, 2017, 11:28:11 AM
Another recent strange discovery is that Storks could be related to vultures. I suppose there are many raptors that seem to be vultures as well.
    But they are more related to hawks, kites, falcons and eagles. And of course some of my favorites are the ravens, crows and magpies.

Check out what a buzzard is.

My favorite raptor is the  osprey.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on June 02, 2017, 11:40:05 AM
Check out what a buzzard is.

My favorite raptor is the  osprey.
Old world and new world vultures has a broader inclusion as well.
    In North America we have three vultures, black, turkey and as you pointed out the condor.

DANGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

You guy's are kinda scaring me with your knowledge of vultures.This started out as a wonder why there was a dead vulture decaying on the side of the road for 3 weeks and non of his fellow vultures were eating it every other dead thing got ate.....

:cop: Could vultures be used to eat zombies.......... :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on June 02, 2017, 03:20:50 PM
DANGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

You guy's are kinda scaring me with your knowledge of vultures.This started out as a wonder why there was a dead vulture decaying on the side of the road for 3 weeks and non of his fellow vultures were eating it every other dead thing got ate.....

:cop: Could vultures be used to eat zombies.......... :wave

Sure but if the zombie bites the vulture ...  :ohmy:

Quote from: tlp2 on June 02, 2017, 08:08:16 AM

Note: Buzzards are Federally protected, be careful out there.
They sure aren't rare around these parts! But yes, they do an important job. I think it was India or maybe China I was reading about where they were dying out because of pollution and big spike in disease arose because of it.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Around here I used to say, "heh, there's the Tejas sanitation crew at work"

I have respect for the function vultures provide.  :thumbsup