Renshaw Acoustic Guitars

Started by maplebaby, May 27, 2017, 07:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This video takes a look at two Renshaw acoustic guitars - a OM and L00.  Thanks for checking this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh__8aWyJ0U

I had a luthier in Illinois build me an electric guitar where the process was very similar.  I enjoyed every minute of collaboration with him and two years, three months and eight days later I was able to play our creation.  One of a kind guitar shape, with great features, that I will cherish forever.  Thanks so much for sharing your story Dale.
George

sounds like a very special guitar - if you'd ever consider posting a picture i'd love to see it!  Thanks for giving your time to check this out, your friend, dale.

Pic attached.  Koa top, Chambered and vented Black Limba body, Rock Maple figured neck, Snakewood fretboard, MOP/Ebony inlays.  Has a Rosewood back cover.  SD '78 bridge pu, Jazz neck pu.  TonePro's bridge, Kluson metal tulip button tuning machines.  Very unique shape and interior design.
George

wow!!  Love it - and thanks for taking time to load the pics and share!  Koa is a favorite for me and i LOVE this top - the shape is terrific!  Did you design the shape or collaborate on it?  I'm so glad you posted this and what a cool story and guitar.

Total collaboration.  John Guilford had built a USAF guitar in memory of 9 fallen airmen that led to the creation of his "Redeemer" guitar model.  I liked the front end of the body, but the lower bout was just not a style that appealed to me.  So we started with the top of the body looking very much like the Redeemer and then made modifications and dreamed up the rest together, including all of the wood choices, types, body chamber, you name it.  It was the most fun build I ever commissioned.  John Guilford was also the luthier commissioned by Gibson a couple of years back to build all of the wooden parts for the "all wood" Les Paul they released a limited run of.  Small luthiers are my preference whenever I get an opportunity.  John built 3 guitars for me.  Thanks for your interest.

P. S.  I am not much of a finger picker, but I found your tutorial video on "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas to be very helpful.  I am trying to teach a grandson to play and it is a difficult task...  I rely on good videos to help him with the styles I am not proficient with.
George

such a cool story and thanks for  sharing a the information on Mr. Gullford - sounds like a very talented and special person!

He is very talented and extremely meticulous. I own three guitars he built for me.  I usually buy three from small luthier shops I like, i.e. three Morgans, three Northwoods, many more Larrivee's...  You can never have too many!
George