Is this a custom shop model or Something else?

Started by Rockcliff, May 26, 2017, 02:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Rockcliff on May 29, 2017, 03:46:46 PM

Does it have an adjustable truss rod?

As best I can tell, it does not have an adjustable truss rod.   

The Larrivee truss rod can't be seen by looking into the soundhole under the end of the neck. Unlike Martin and others, who drill a hole in the brace under the neck, Larrivee does not; but the truss rod is behind that brace; as mentioned above, you'll need a mirror to see it, or take all the strings off and reach in with your hand to feel for it (on the neck block).

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: eded on May 29, 2017, 03:54:12 PM
You'll need an inspection mirror (a little mirror on a (often telescoping) stick) to look at the neckblock close to the soundboard to see it if it's there.  If you do a google search and look at "images", you'll get an idea of where they are.

Ed

That would be why I could not see it :)   

after some digging i can say with confidence this is a C-19. i asked someone who has a good perspective on Larrivee guitars. the 19 denotes it is halfway between an 09 and a 10. but it is not an L like i thought. it is a C. The headblock was just stamped for an 03 but used on this guitar. i guess after over 130000 guitars a few get by

Quote from: dlsteel on May 31, 2017, 08:39:41 AM
after some digging i can say with confidence this is a C-19. i asked someone who has a good perspective on Larrivee guitars. the 19 denotes it is halfway between an 09 and a 10. but it is not an L like i thought. it is a C. The headblock was just stamped for an 03 but used on this guitar. i guess after over 130000 guitars a few get by

I think I'm a bit closer to finding out the age... I found a video of a fellow playing a 1990 C-10.  The bridge inlay was identical to mine..  so unless they made this very unique inlay in other years, I think I atleast know that the guitar was made in 1990. 

Quote from: Rockcliff on May 31, 2017, 10:04:04 AM
I think I'm a bit closer to finding out the age... I found a video of a fellow playing a 1990 C-10.  The bridge inlay was identical to mine..  so unless they made this very unique inlay in other years, I think I atleast know that the guitar was made in 1990. 

Except the serial number/neck block is laser engraved, and Larrivee did not do that until the mid 2000s or so, and every Larrivee I have seen earlier than 96 has a rosewood headstock overlay, not ebony.

Quote from: AZLiberty on June 01, 2017, 02:08:14 AM
Except the serial number/neck block is laser engraved, and Larrivee did not do that until the mid 2000s or so, and every Larrivee I have seen earlier than 96 has a rosewood headstock overlay, not ebony.

Check this video with what appears to be ebony headstock in a 1990 C-10.  Actually the guitar in this video is identical to mine with the exception of the inlays in the fret board and headstock.  The bridge inlay is identical.  This is the only time I've seen this inlay other than in my guitar.  I wonder if this particular bridge inlay is specific to a year of production?     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RMzRxYzUA     

I agree with Dan, this is more likely a custom built C-19, halfway between an 09 and a 10.  Either way you have one heck of a unique, fantastic guitar...
George

Quote from: George on June 01, 2017, 06:49:24 AM
I agree with Dan, this is more likely a custom built C-19, halfway between an 09 and a 10.  Either way you have one heck of a unique, fantastic guitar...

Thanks George.   It is truly wonderful to play.   We had a three hour get acquainted session last night.... still grinning that this is my Larrivee.