Is this a custom shop model or Something else?

Started by Rockcliff, May 26, 2017, 02:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 26, 2017, 11:26:07 PM
Part of the mystery is the gloss finish - is the top finished in gloss as well? I don't think ANY 03 series guitars EVER left the Larrivee factories in Canada or the USA with a gloss finish. It's possible that someone buffed it out, but to be that glossy (on the back) would probably have required spraying on more finish before glossing.

Very strange.

P.S. That's not a Venetian cutaway, it's a Florentine... so if the website is giving you an "L-19" designation, that's wrong - it would be a C-19 (and a Venetian cutaway would be designated as an "LV" model).
Mike, I am very capable of putting a gloss finish on any guitar. As are others here. But I think this one came that way. And who cares what the model number is?

Quote from: Danny on May 26, 2017, 11:27:14 PM
That must be a factory second.  :humour:
My O-01 MH is impressed. Only my old Stella and Harmony are stamped.

:roll

Well kiddies.... we have the official reply from Larrivee...... Drum roll please........  "We have no idea.... the serial number is undecipherable......there are too many numbers in the serial number,   but its definitely not an 03"     They think that it must be a custom build with a custom serial number, which is possibly some date of significance to the original owner.   I guess I'll have to buy that...  So, the mystery remains intact.   I will just enjoy this wonderful instrument.  And I will have a twinkle in my eye and a little grin on my face knowing that I have a very likely one of a kind guitar.  Cheers and thanks to all for your input.  Maybe someday the story will be told.  

Well the story has been told, in part here. Larrivees are somewhat a mystery to many folks. Now you have a mystery wrapped in an enigma.
    Enjoy it.

I'd speculate a church music leader ordered the guitar. Or maybe a gospel singer.

Cool guitar.

Quote from: Rockcliff on May 27, 2017, 09:28:38 PM
Well kiddies.... we have the official reply from Larrivee...... Drum roll please........  "We have no idea.... the serial number is undecipherable......there are too many numbers in the serial number,   but its definitely not an 03"     They think that it must be a custom build with a custom serial number, which is possibly some date of significance to the original owner.   I guess I'll have to buy that...  So, the mystery remains intact.   I will just enjoy this wonderful instrument.  And I will have a twinkle in my eye and a little grin on my face knowing that I have a very likely one of a kind guitar.  Cheers and thanks to all for your input.  Maybe someday the story will be told.  

I own several 03 models with abalone rosette, but they are all custom models (mostly from small batches of 10 guitars) and all of them have non-mahogany back and sides and a couple have European spruce tops.  I only have one C-03 with the florentine cutaway and it too was part of a small run of custom guitars.  None of my 03 models came with gloss back/sides nor tops...  I am with you, I would just be proud to know it is likely one of a kind and just enjoy the heck out of it...   :bgrin:
George

That's a really cool guitar
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Does anyone have any thoughts about adding a pickguard to this guitar?   Clear or otherwise ?   I'm not crazy about adding one but I also don't want any pick damage.  I'm torn. 

Quote from: Rockcliff on May 29, 2017, 08:52:18 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts about adding a pickguard to this guitar?   Clear or otherwise ?   I'm not crazy about adding one but I also don't want any pick damage.  I'm torn. 
clear, but yes she needs one

Quote from: Rockcliff on May 29, 2017, 08:52:18 AM

Ah...  the old can-o-worms... I hope you're ready for some strong opinions.

Completely your choice.  If you think you'll hit the soundboard with a pick, you *might* want one.  Personally, I don't believe they change the sound and I kind of like the look.  Others really hate them clear or not.  The only opinion that matters is yours...  unless you think a potential buyer in the future will care.

Ed

Quote from: Rockcliff on May 26, 2017, 07:27:37 PM
Absolutely, that is what is so perplexing... with the abe in rosewood binding, when I saw it, I thought instantly C-10 but the block is unmistakable showing 03 .... I can't imaging someone putting on the wrong block or labelling it incorrectly... 
it happens. that is a 27 year old L-19 with a florentine cut away. Canada. All the C models start as an L model so it being called an L kinda makes sense

Quote from: dlsteel on May 29, 2017, 09:27:55 AM
it happens. that is a 27 year old L-19 with a florentine cut away. Canada. All the C models start as an L model so it being called an L kinda makes sense

Its hard to imagine that this guitar is 27 years old... Its perfect... only signs I can see are from human finger print smudges.   The possibility that its a L-19 is certainly there, I just don't know when JCL started to put Ebony on the headstocks?  Any idea.  Any L-19's that I've seen have natural headstocks. 

Quote from: eded on May 29, 2017, 09:23:43 AM
Ah...  the old can-o-worms... I hope you're ready for some strong opinions.

Completely your choice.  If you think you'll hit the soundboard with a pick, you *might* want one.  Personally, I don't believe they change the sound and I kind of like the look.  Others really hate them clear or not.  The only opinion that matters is yours...  unless you think a potential buyer in the future will care.

Ed

Ed, I really think this guitar is a keeper.... famous last words....  I won't rush to any decision regarding the pick guard.  One deciding factor will be whether or not it can be removed without damaging the guitar if I don't like it or want to sell it.     

Would I be correct in this assumption about my guitar?   The label on the guitar indicates it was made in Vancouver so from what I've read, in 2001 with the opening of California operations, Vancouver stopped making guitars with gloss finishes.  Thus, this Larrivee  of mine must pre-date 2001... correct?    Also, any idea what year they may have started putting Ebony on the headstocks?  That might further help me date it.  

Quote from: Rockcliff on May 29, 2017, 10:54:17 AM
Ed, I really think this guitar is a keeper.... famous last words....  I won't rush to any decision regarding the pick guard.  One deciding factor will be whether or not it can be removed without damaging the guitar if I don't like it or want to sell it.     

Pickgaurds can (pretty easily) be removed...  with a hair dryer and patience, and then some naphtha to remove any glue residue if necessary.  If an opaque one is on for some time (years) and the guitar subjected to sunlight, it's possible that the wood will color differently where the guard is.

So, even more so...  your opinion.

Ed

Quote from: Rockcliff on May 29, 2017, 11:11:26 AM
Would I be correct in this assumption about my guitar?   The label on the guitar indicates it was made in Vancouver so from what I've read, in 2001 with the opening of California operations, Vancouver stopped making guitars with gloss finishes.  Thus, this Larrivee  of mine must pre-date 2001... correct?    Also, any idea what year they may have started putting Ebony on the headstocks?  That might further help me date it.  

I'm not sure about then (and I haven't scoured the current customization list), but I think everything on that guitar would be available as an upgrade/customization these days. 

Ed

I have four Larrivee models, all with clear pick guards. It is fairly easy to remove the P G from the older finishes. Only the recent finish has given me any problem. But that was my fault.

Some gloss models were still made in Vancouver. But not many. I truly think yours is an older model though.

Does it have an adjustable truss rod?

Quote from: Rockcliff on May 29, 2017, 11:11:26 AM
, any idea what year they may have started putting Ebony on the headstocks?  That might further help me date it.  

As I recall, the switch to Ebony overlay was in 1997.

No serial number on the interior label.  That indicates late 98, 99, or 2000 to me.    My early 98's have serial numbers on the labels, the mid 98 (May) and 99 do not.

Those all had inked serial numbers though.   None had a model number either, just the serial number on one line.

The Laser engraved serial number is much newer.

I wonder if we are looking at an "Employee Guitar".   Or perhaps an extremely well done repair where someone used an -03 neck on a C-10.

[/quote]

As best I can tell, it does not have an adjustable truss rod.   

Quote from: Rockcliff on May 29, 2017, 03:46:46 PM

As best I can tell, it does not have an adjustable truss rod.   

You'll need an inspection mirror (a little mirror on a (often telescoping) stick) to look at the neckblock close to the soundboard to see it if it's there.  If you do a google search and look at "images", you'll get an idea of where they are.

Ed