Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee on Life Support  (Read 725 times)
Remy

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2017, 10:47:45 PM »

Recently I purchased an L-09 2002 that was in serious need of repair.   The guitar had been severely dried out to a point that the binding had come apart at a few locations.   Some fairly minor and a couple others that had some pretty large gaps.  There are a lot of other issues but this is the 1st one I am tackling.  I spent the better part of two weeks getting moisture back in the wood.  The gaps have closed considerably on all but one location and even that location it makes contact with just thumb pressure.   My question is if I should consider continuing to hydrate to see if comes back even further or start gluing.   Near the binding I am seeing moisture content at 6% and I am leaving the case at around 65%RH.  I am not a luthier but am always looking for a challenge and have spent years building furniture and cabinets as a hobby.   I think I have found that challenge.  Can anyone help! Thanks!
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:01:44 AM »

Glue it now but dampen the wood first before glue clamp it and let the glue dry for at least 3 days while still rehydrating the guitar.Once the top is secure then take on the binding.There is a special glue for binding sold by stew-mac.If I can help call,or PM me.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Remy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:48:49 AM »

Thanks so much for the quick response Rob.   It looks like the perimeter binding is completely intact and appears to be curly maple and is fairly thick. The split is from the inside black white black binding to the maple.   I thought I could directly glue the maple to that binding with titebond hyde or titebond since it's wood? Is that not accurate?  thanks again
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 07:03:25 PM »

Dried out and cracked guitars are the #1 repair here in Phoenix.  (no idea why    )

The guys I know and respect always leave the guitar in a humidification cabinet for at least 10 days before gluing anything.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 01:50:12 AM »

I am curious, since I have a 1998 C-05 which had severe dehydration issues.
It had been stored in a locker in Denver for a few years.
The body and neck joint had structural problems but no separations of any joint or seam on the guitar.
Not that I am an expert, but was your damage a result dehydration or possibly excess heat that caused the issue (or both).
Was it short of long tern exposure to the adverse condition?
I got a neck reset on the C-05 and some other fixes near the sound hole to get it back playable and enjoyable.
That is why I am curious. Not that I envy you.
Mike
Remy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 05:17:08 AM »

Hi Mike,  the person I purchased it from said it was caused by keeping under low humidity levels.  I didn't get into a lot of other details, but probably should have.  A Luthier here in the Seattle area said he has heard about cases like this but had never seen it in his 20 years repairing guitars.  It does make some sense since spruce will shrink at a different rate than rosewood.  As of today after hydrating it for 2 1/2 weeks it has almost completely come back.  There were 8 places where it separated (top and bottom),  a couple braces completely came off and all the braces have gaps.   Bringing it back is going to take a while.  I built a spread sheet to categorize what needs to be done and have 31 items on the list
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 12:59:41 PM »

Could you modify your thread title? You had me scared for a second. I thought it was one of the family or the company itself. Whew!  
Remy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 04:20:29 PM »

Thanks for adding a new perspective....I could definitely see how someone might see it that way.  Just trying to save one guitar! 
Remy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 11:14:04 AM »

Oops!   ......A couple more days wait for the glue around the perimeter to cure and then moving inside.  Not sure where to start with the loose bracing since there is so much of it.   Probably the back first then move to the top bracing and finish with the crack along the top seam.   Learning and enjoying the restoration but it sure is time consuming.   Thanks again for the advice
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: