Help me choose guitar to complement my OM – 03

Started by df1k1, May 17, 2017, 07:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This forum helped me pick out my first guitar the OM-03.  I had only been playing a short time when I got that guitar.  Fast forward over eight years and I absolutely still love this guitar.

Fortunately I have a few bucks to spend and really would like to buy another guitar. I have no interest in getting rid of my OM  and I'm simply looking for another guitar to complement it.  I have looked at the Taylor 814 CE and a number of Martin's.  The 814 CE sounded just a little too bright for me but it is growing on me. Really would like to try the  Martin 000–28 EC but cannot find one locally.   Sadly in South Florida the Larrivee inventory is almost nonexistent

I consider myself a novice to an intermediate. Just like playing modern music everything from Dave Matthews to Allman Brothers. I considered it a milestone when I finally could play little Martha without sounding horrible!

Any thoughts would be appreciated

I have never owned a Larrivee that I did not love.  If I were you, I would consider an L body, quite different from an OM and an extraordinary guitar in its own right.  Buy one on online from a reputable Larrivee dealer...

:nanadance :nana_guitar
George

How do you want to use it?  Couch guitar, or playing with a group?  That will determine what size.

Try an L03R different body shape different tone wood.Order from one of the on line dealers,some hang here but others may make a better suggestion.Where in S.Fl. are you?
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

2 ways to go...

A) bigger and bassier...  i.e. dread or L (personally, I'd go L)
B) smaller and more articulate...  i.e. parlor

Or, 3.  AZ's 12 string suggestion is a great one.

Ed

Quote from: Walkerman on May 17, 2017, 09:29:41 PM
How do you want to use it?  Couch guitar, or playing with a group?  That will determine what size.
Definitely a couch guitar. At my age just can't see ever joining a band.

A few of you have mentioned the L series. Funny that was my dream guitar at the time the LV – 10. I just couldn't afford it but can now. It's just a little daunting to buy a guitar at that price point without ever having laid hands on it.

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on May 17, 2017, 09:53:55 PM
Try an L03R different body shape different tone wood.Order from one of the on line dealers,some hang here but others may make a better suggestion.Where in S.Fl. are you?
. Broward County. Sam ash used to carry Larrivee that's how I first discovered them.  I then found this form which was really helpful.

You can even go the "custom" route and order from Wildwood or Notable. Both have very nice prices and have great reputations as Larrivee dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote from: rosborn on May 18, 2017, 06:30:36 AM
You can even go the "custom" route and order from Wildwood or Notable. Both have very nice prices and have great reputations as Larrivee dealers.

Small world. Bought my OM03 from Jason at notable guitar based on this forum. Wonder if he still there   Looking at their website now re custom

Some great suggestions already.

Another possibility - a Larrivee LS body (small L body) - there have been a few made with cutaways, too. Jason might even have something along these lines in stock; he could certainly order you one.

An L body would still be pretty couch friendly (depending on how tall you are); the LS even more so. Rosewood b/s would be good since you have a hog OM.

Another one to consider - the Martin 000-18. It's been updated (in 2014 I think) and it gets rave reviews. Even though it is similar in size and woods to your Larrivee, it will have a different tone just because it's a Martin. But it would be very comfy on the couch, and have plenty of volume.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

A couch guitar ....  OO all hog, 12 frets.  I have one and it is the perfect couch guitar.  It is my sitting on the couch, playing the blues when I have the blues guitar.  Unique sound ...... smoooooooth.

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 18, 2017, 08:17:06 AM
Some great suggestions already.

Another possibility - a Larrivee LS body (small L body) - there have been a few made with cutaways, too. Jason might even have something along these lines in stock; he could certainly order you one.

An L body would still be pretty couch friendly (depending on how tall you are); the LS even more so. Rosewood b/s would be good since you have a hog OM.

Another one to consider - the Martin 000-18. It's been updated (in 2014 I think) and it gets rave reviews. Even though it is similar in size and woods to your Larrivee, it will have a different tone just because it's a Martin. But it would be very comfy on the couch, and have plenty of volume.

I had a Martin 000-18 and you are absolutely correct in its sounding very different from a Larrivee OM-03, despite being the same woods. The OM-03 is much more balanced across the strings while the 000-18 has a more pronounced bass and treble. Great guitar. Although, the Larrivee 000-40, with its newer bracing, sounds very similar to a 000-18.

Quote from: df1k1 on May 17, 2017, 07:48:33 PM
This forum helped me pick out my first guitar the OM-03.  I had only been playing a short time when I got that guitar.  Fast forward over eight years and I absolutely still love this guitar.
. . . I consider myself a novice to an intermediate. Just like playing modern music everything from Dave Matthews to Allman Brothers. I considered it a milestone when I finally could play little Martha without sounding horrible!

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Having now accumulated 3 acoustics all of which receive regular play, I sometimes wonder, "what was I thinking? Three guitars?" Still no regrets as I've found that certain songs I play do better on a particular guitar.

What I like is that all three sound different, yet all three play exactly the same. So I guess that's where I'd lead you, to find another guitar with a much different tone, rather than one drastically different in size. That could mean the same body shape, but different top, back or sides, but you could go even further afield with a L or D size if you feel you wanna strum more.

Specifically, and I'm very biased here, I'd steer you to a 12 fret, since that's gonna be a much different tone than you're used to. Or consider a mahogany topped OM. There's a 12 fret OM on ebay currently, but you could also consider the Larrivee OO as well as any Taylor 12 fret Grand Concert.

Good luck, am sure you'll know the one you want when you see/hear it. . . :nana_guitar
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: jpmist on May 18, 2017, 01:02:14 PM
Having now accumulated 3 acoustics all of which receive regular play, I sometimes wonder, "what was I thinking? Three guitars?" Still no regrets as I've found that certain songs I play do better on a particular guitar.

What I like is that all three sound different, yet all three play exactly the same. So I guess that's where I'd lead you, to find another guitar with a much different tone, rather than one drastically different in size. That could mean the same body shape, but different top, back or sides, but you could go even further afield with a L or D size if you feel you wanna strum more.

Specifically, and I'm very biased here, I'd steer you to a 12 fret, since that's gonna be a much different tone than you're used to. Or consider a mahogany topped OM. There's a 12 fret OM on ebay currently, but you could also consider the Larrivee OO as well as any Taylor 12 fret Grand Concert.

:+1:  great comments, I have found the very same to be true...
George

Suggest a Larrivee 00. :thumb Perfect for playing on the couch.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: df1k1 on May 18, 2017, 06:24:13 AM
 A few of you have mentioned the L series. Funny that was my dream guitar at the time the LV – 10. I just couldn't afford it but can now. It's just a little daunting to buy a guitar at that price point without ever having laid hands on it.

Do it!  Get the 50th Anniversary model. I did. I am never getting rid of it.  :guitar :beer :donut :donut2 :coffee
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: Walkerman on May 18, 2017, 08:41:14 AM
A couch guitar ....  OO all hog, 12 frets.  I have one and it is the perfect couch guitar.  It is my sitting on the couch, playing the blues when I have the blues guitar.  Unique sound ...... smoooooooth.

Sorry man, have to show my ignorance. 00 all hog 12 fret would be.... which Larrivee? 

This guitar with a custom mahogany top. The "custom part" of adding a Mahogany top will cost you an additional $150.00 MSRP.

http://www.larrivee.com/products/00-40
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003