Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk me out of this.  (Read 864 times)
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2017, 04:03:55 AM »

Stopped by the Tempe GC tonight, they just took in a trade on a D-03.

Factory LR Baggs electronics.  2007 Build (looked it up).  Sapele B/S (according to the look-up) with maple binding. Appears in perfect shape.  I asked and it does have the Larrivee Factory hard shell case.

Priced at $449.

And I have been shopping for an acoustic with electronics that is free of Rosewood or Bubinga...

If it had been an L or an OM I'd have grabbed it already, but I really don't like dreads.  I've been trying to sell a Dread 12 for a while now...  But at the price so tempting....  *sigh*

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:37:01 AM »

Talk me out of it....

" I really don't like dreads.  I've been trying to sell a Dread 12 for a while now... "

B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:37:56 AM »

Sorry, I won't be of any help unless you end up buying it and want some congratulations.  bigrin
At that price, it's fairly risk-free.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »

Sorry, I won't be of any help unless you end up buying it and want some congratulations.  bigrin
At that price, it's fairly risk-free.

Yep, at that price, you ought to be able to recover your money if you end up not liking it. 

Ed
bignote

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 08:49:37 PM »

Are you seriously looking to be talked out of it?  We are nothing but a bunch of sympathizers and enablers here.  Enjoy your nee guitar!

It only hurts when your not in tune!
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 09:45:49 PM »

AZLIberty,

"Talk me out of this"

At the end of the day will you wish that you had spent more time buying and selling guitars you didn't really like?

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 01:36:12 AM »

AZLIberty,

"Talk me out of this"

At the end of the day will you wish that you had spent more time buying and selling guitars you didn't really like?

Very good point.    If anyone needs a D-03 the Tempe GC has one at a killer price.   I'll pass on this one and either hunt for a used Martin 000RS1 or Rainsong Parlor.  Or possibly save up and order a custom from Ed Bond.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 02:56:25 AM »

I'll pass on this one and either hunt for a used Martin 000RS1 or Rainsong Parlor.  Or possibly save up and order a custom from Ed Bond.

Why are you not happy with the guitars you have?
Why is what you are searching for an "either/or"?
Do you not know what you want?
Just curious.
Mike
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 02:57:06 AM »

I've got a 2007 L-03 (that I love) and I always thought it was Sapele, too, but I have seen threads on this forum (and from John, Jr.) that the B/S material is, in fact, Mahogany. Confused now.

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 03:15:46 AM »

Why are you not happy with the guitars you have?

Could use something I can cross international borders with without worrying about CITES/USFWS. (so no rosewood, no bubinga, no shell inlay).

A black walnut OO-03 would be perfect.   (If I had Ed build be a custom it would be a Walnut/Engelman 00, ebony fretboard/bridge, and "binding of Ed's choice but no Rosewood) 

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 03:33:36 AM »

If you're looking for a good traveller, consider the Composite Acoustics Cargo. It's also a really good everyday guitar. From an ergonomic standpoint, it's the best acoustic instrument here.

Could use something I can cross international borders with without worrying about CITES/USFWS. (so no rosewood, no bubinga, no shell inlay).

A black walnut OO-03 would be perfect.   (If I had Ed build be a custom it would be a Walnut/Engelman 00, ebony fretboard/bridge, and "binding of Ed's choice but no Rosewood) 

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 05:11:00 AM »

If you're looking for a good traveller, consider the Composite Acoustics Cargo. It's also a really good everyday guitar. From an ergonomic standpoint, it's the best acoustic instrument here.

I've played the Cargo, I like the Rainsong 12-fret Parlor better.  Plus the Parlor comes with a proper hard case.  Even with the new FAA rules there is a chance you will have to check your guitar, and the Cargo comes with a Gig Bag.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

markj

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 05:41:09 AM »

Hey! While you're all at it, talk me out of the D-02 12 string that is on Reverb for $499 shipped!
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 06:35:43 AM »

Hi AZLiberty,

I thought I'd seen a recent reference to the Rainsong Parlor. I looked for it in case that was you.

It sounds like that's a better choice for you than the Cargo.

I've played the Cargo, I like the Rainsong 12-fret Parlor better.  Plus the Parlor comes with a proper hard case.  Even with the new FAA rules there is a chance you will have to check your guitar, and the Cargo comes with a Gig Bag.

At the risk of offering unsolicited advice: Get something you WANT rather than something about which you're ambivalent when the most compelling factor is the price.

guitararmy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »

That is a good price!  BTW I have an older mahogany D03e and I don't think it sounds as dreadnought-like as other brands, if that's what you are avoiding.   More balanced with a slight dip in the midrange.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 07:43:40 AM »

Sapele is not for me. But my old D-02, which I believe is mahogany, is as fine an old Dread as anybody makes.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: