Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Larrivee in the house.  (Read 762 times)
bignote

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2017, 08:33:46 AM »

I have been wanting a companion for my OM-05 and I found it today.  I was lucky enough to find a D-40R.  Here it is.

It only hurts when your not in tune!
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »

Luvly!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 10:56:27 AM »

The appointments are nice and highlights the best features of a guitar: Contour, wood selection, tuners and head stock shape.

Herringbone rosette/trim and a tortoise pick guard on top
Nice symmetry on the back

How do you like the difference in tone between a rosewood dread and an OM mahogany?

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
markj

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »

Beautiful! I love the diamond fretboard inlays.
bignote

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 09:19:46 PM »

TEH,
  Well the Dread is louder with a much heavier bass as you might expect.  I don't know how to describe it using musical terms but the Rosewood has a little bit "darker" sound to it.  Drier sounding than the Mahogany OM.  Like all Larrivees though, when you lean into it an pick a little harder, the notes don't squash out, they bloom more. I am really liking it after three or four hours in the man cave.  I will get a chance to use it on a gig next Friday.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 08:56:37 PM »

Very classy look with the diamond inlays. And that back is striking!

Enjoy blowing people away with the volume and tone!

drool

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
HeavyRevy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »

Gorgeous!
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »

Congratulations!  The D-40's are my favorite Larrivee guitars, so they get played more than the rest...

nice guitar

George
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »

Congrats!   bigrin

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »

Yup, that's the big daddy to my OO-40R  nice guitar The 40 series is a big winner for Larrivee

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
bignote

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 10:30:16 PM »

Well, an update is in order.  I played the guitar last night at a gig.  The other guitarist and the other singer dude both complimented the guitar.  The singer said "tomorrow go home and put a for sale sign on the other flattops that don't have Larrivee on the headstock".  I have owned alot of flattops over the years.  Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Cole Clark and Maton.  I have to say I am the most happy playing my Larrivees.  I have had the OM-05 for a few months and now the D-40R for a week.  Honestly, I could live out the rest of my days with these two.
    So after the gig, which btw was at a bar and grill type of joint that pays our trio very well, I was kinda jazzed up and just wanted to play some more.  I live on Okinawa which has the perfect weather this time of year.  The gig was in kinda a touristy spot and the human traffic was heavy so I thought I would just walk over to the nearest beach and play a little bit.  This is where I really fell in love with this guitar.  I found a spot and opened the case and just started playing.  After about twenty minutes or so there must have been about 30 people hanging out.  A gal left and showed back up with a Djembe and some other guy pulled out a harmonica.  It was very cool.  I stayed there till the wee hours which is a little odd for me, just talking to people and picking songs.  The D-40R was super just playing outside "unplugged" with people hanging around and talking with the occasional vehicle rolling by.  Just a super guitar.  I am enamored with it.  Heck, I may even go back there tonight.

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 12:18:33 AM »

The D-40R was super just playing outside "unplugged" with people hanging around ....  Just a super guitar.  I am enamored with it. 

+1

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: