Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Larrivee in the house.  (Read 424 times)
bignote

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2017, 08:33:46 AM »

I have been wanting a companion for my OM-05 and I found it today.  I was lucky enough to find a D-40R.  Here it is.

It only hurts when your not in tune!
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »

Luvly!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!

Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 10:56:27 AM »

The appointments are nice and highlights the best features of a guitar: Contour, wood selection, tuners and head stock shape.

Herringbone rosette/trim and a tortoise pick guard on top
Nice symmetry on the back

How do you like the difference in tone between a rosewood dread and an OM mahogany?

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
markj

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »

Beautiful! I love the diamond fretboard inlays.
bignote

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 09:19:46 PM »

TEH,
  Well the Dread is louder with a much heavier bass as you might expect.  I don't know how to describe it using musical terms but the Rosewood has a little bit "darker" sound to it.  Drier sounding than the Mahogany OM.  Like all Larrivees though, when you lean into it an pick a little harder, the notes don't squash out, they bloom more. I am really liking it after three or four hours in the man cave.  I will get a chance to use it on a gig next Friday.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 08:56:37 PM »

Very classy look with the diamond inlays. And that back is striking!

Enjoy blowing people away with the volume and tone!

drool

(The unofficial reverend of the Larrivee Forum) Mikeymac

1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top (FOR SALE)
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
INCOMING: '79 L-19
HeavyRevy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »

Gorgeous!
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »

Congratulations!  The D-40's are my favorite Larrivee guitars, so they get played more than the rest...

nice guitar

George
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »

Congrats!   bigrin

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »

Yup, that's the big daddy to my OO-40R  nice guitar The 40 series is a big winner for Larrivee

"...we only have one world, but we live in different ones."
bignote

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 10:30:16 PM »

Well, an update is in order.  I played the guitar last night at a gig.  The other guitarist and the other singer dude both complimented the guitar.  The singer said "tomorrow go home and put a for sale sign on the other flattops that don't have Larrivee on the headstock".  I have owned alot of flattops over the years.  Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Cole Clark and Maton.  I have to say I am the most happy playing my Larrivees.  I have had the OM-05 for a few months and now the D-40R for a week.  Honestly, I could live out the rest of my days with these two.
    So after the gig, which btw was at a bar and grill type of joint that pays our trio very well, I was kinda jazzed up and just wanted to play some more.  I live on Okinawa which has the perfect weather this time of year.  The gig was in kinda a touristy spot and the human traffic was heavy so I thought I would just walk over to the nearest beach and play a little bit.  This is where I really fell in love with this guitar.  I found a spot and opened the case and just started playing.  After about twenty minutes or so there must have been about 30 people hanging out.  A gal left and showed back up with a Djembe and some other guy pulled out a harmonica.  It was very cool.  I stayed there till the wee hours which is a little odd for me, just talking to people and picking songs.  The D-40R was super just playing outside "unplugged" with people hanging around and talking with the occasional vehicle rolling by.  Just a super guitar.  I am enamored with it.  Heck, I may even go back there tonight.

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 12:18:33 AM »

The D-40R was super just playing outside "unplugged" with people hanging around ....  Just a super guitar.  I am enamored with it. 

+1

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: