Poll
Question: Which model should I choose
OM-40R - 2 (66.7%)
OM-60 - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OM-40R VS OM-60, which one should I choose  (Read 632 times)
ljr

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2017, 05:31:21 AM »

Hi, I already have the OM-03R and really love its sound. Now I wanna buy another Larrivee OM size acoustic guitar and I am considering the OM-40R and the OM-60.

Could anyone tell me the difference between these two models? Since my city doesn't have Larrivee dealer so I can't try and compare them in person.

I mainly play finger style for my music, and I will also play strumming and flat picking, so which model you will recommend for me?

Thank you!
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:38:50 AM »

I would recommend something altogether different, such as a oo. Or larger if you are so inclined. Maybe an SD in mahogany.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
ljr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 08:35:22 AM »

What does 00 sounds like?
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:38:29 PM »

The OO guitars are very balanced. nice guitar
I just love sitting on the sofa playing mine.
They punch above their weight...big sound out of a smaller box.
They are not for everyone, but they are for me, and many other people on this forum.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
ljr

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 06:47:53 AM »

Thanks, so the 00 means the P serious, right? It looks like the P-03, I watched some youtube videos, the P-03 sounds fantastic
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »

Thanks, so the 00 means the P serious, right? It looks like the P-03, I watched some youtube videos, the P-03 sounds fantastic

No, a oo is bigger than a P[arlor] by about one inch.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »

No, a oo is bigger than a P[arlor] by about one inch.

I would get an all hog OO.  12 fret, hybrid parabolic bracing.
Tuba Mike

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »

All three of these models are so similar.  They do have their differences but all three are Larrivee rosewood OM's so there are, IMHO, more similarities than differences.  Not enough of a difference I feel to have two of the three.  It looks like you are most partial to rosewood so you could do a rosewood OO, one of the OOO-40R's or a rosewood L-body and you would have a different sound than your OM-03R while still maintaining the Larrivee feel, neck width, balance, etc.  There are plenty of YouTube videos with samples of each of these instruments.  Guitar Gallery, as just one example, has excellent videos of the OO-40, the OM-40 adn the OM-40R, the L-03R, etc.  No shortage of videos showcasing these bad boys.  Personally, I, like some of the previous responses, like my OO as an excellent compliment to my OM-50.  It is comfortable to play, has a fantastic sound and can put out some serious volume for it's size when needed.  I think the OOO-60 or the OOO-40R will be an excellent addition to your OM-03R.  Like the OO's they are 12-fret models which are quite comfortable to play and have wonderful balance.  The OOO-60 (a rosewood back-and-side vs the -50 which is mahogany) has a wider nut width.  Something to consider.  For the most part, the other Larrivee OO's and OOO's and the L-body's have the same 1 3/4" nut width that your OM has. 

Best of luck and now for your listening pleasure.

https://youtu.be/Q2T8pkCEEy0

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
ljr

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 02:58:19 AM »

Thanks for the detailed reply. How is the sound difference between 000-40R and OM-03R?
ljr

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 06:29:56 AM »

What is the sound difference between P-03Z and 000-40R?

I think the P-03Z sounds really amazing on youtube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2oBC56uPWk
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 11:17:33 AM »

Just my opinion.

I wouldn't add another rosewood OM-40 since you already have an OM-03R and ultimately you would most likely end up selling or trading one of them.

I like Walkerman and broKen's recommendations to try a 00 12 fret.

You should try to find a way to go to a shop that stocks a variety of styles. If you can't do that, I would go to a dealer that has experience ordering custom Larrivee Guitars and call them. I just went to Wildwood Guitars website and they have 58 custom Larrivees in stock plus links to over 100 they have sold. Who would be better to advise you than a professional, established dealer that orders a wide variety of body styles and wood choices?

I have no affiliation but I've been to that shop once (4 hour drive from my house) and while I did not buy a guitar, I was totally impressed with the selection, shop layout and the demeanor of the owners with other customers in the shop that day.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: